Author Topic: Louisiana  (Read 11901 times)

Offline Louisiana Suvivor

• Can't Spell His Own Name
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • I'm back! I miss you too.
Re: Louisiana
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2009, 06:09:02 PM »
was up man? saw that you are going to be getting a lot of veggies and you said you might be getting too much? where you live? you need some help? what's the news?

dhallftworth

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2009, 07:09:40 AM »
Yea there's going to be a lot coming up.  live in Fort Worth. Don't need any help really...

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2009, 07:55:48 AM »
gotcha. you're no where near me. LOL. i'm in deep south Louisiana. cajun country if you will

Offline BikerKat

• Prepper
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2009, 09:03:05 PM »
Howdy!  How's the prepping going?  Everyday the news is talking about Hurricane season is starting June 1st
and we could have 1 - 3 big storms.
It seems like there is always more to do - I am never completely ready in case we have to evacuate. 
Hey I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on picture albums.  I have 33 years worth and just can't
stand to leave them behind, but is just too much to bring.  I started scanning some and putting them on dvd's but
it is very time consuming. 

Possenti2264

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2009, 03:29:15 PM »
Born and raised in North Texas, but now living in Bossier City and flourishing where I was planted.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2009, 06:35:36 PM »
Howdy!  How's the prepping going?  Everyday the news is talking about Hurricane season is starting June 1st
and we could have 1 - 3 big storms.
It seems like there is always more to do - I am never completely ready in case we have to evacuate. 
Hey I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on picture albums.  I have 33 years worth and just can't
stand to leave them behind, but is just too much to bring.  I started scanning some and putting them on dvd's but
it is very time consuming. 

Prepping is actually expanding. Room mate moved out so we have another closet for the food storage. Ready to evacuate 4 different areas with 3 paths to each. Pics........i only see scaning them. maybe you could get a company to do it.....not sure. Its hot today. i don't doubt that we'll have 3 main storms. Just gotta wait and see. Stay alert everyone.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2009, 06:36:27 PM »
Born and raised in North Texas, but now living in Bossier City and flourishing where I was planted.

Welcome! Where's Bossier City? not on map quest.......Welcome none the less!

Offline BikerKat

• Prepper
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2009, 09:32:18 PM »
Bossier is next to Shreveport, LA. 

dhallftworth

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2009, 06:35:45 AM »
Welcome! Where's Bossier City? not on map quest.......Welcome none the less!
Even this TX boy knows where that is....  ;D

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2009, 07:05:23 AM »
yeah but that's WAY closer to you than me....remember i'm down in Cajun country. deep south. i'm going to grand isle to swim/fish. :)

Offline sneauxball

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2009, 08:37:42 AM »
yeah but that's WAY closer to you than me....remember i'm down in Cajun country. deep south. i'm going to grand isle to swim/fish. :)

north louisiana?  don't you mean arkansas?   :D

picture albums always go in that bag i pack when one is coming my way.  i do have most of them on discs that stay in my fireproof safe though.

Offline BikerKat

• Prepper
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2009, 01:51:53 PM »
Almost to Arkansas! ;D
I have way too many albums to put in a backpack.  I have a couple of large plastic containers which takes too much space in the vehicle.

Offline sneauxball

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2009, 06:07:44 PM »
Almost to Arkansas! ;D
I have way too many albums to put in a backpack.  I have a couple of large plastic containers which takes too much space in the vehicle.

whoa.  i thought i had a lot.  i think i'd take measures to make sure they were super duper water proofed.  maybe vaccum sealed inside those plastic containers...with your contact info inside.  i don't know that you have any other option other than also backing them up on discs.

DeBrew

« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2009, 10:18:08 PM »
Born in the Red Stick many moons ago.  I have lived in Denham Springs, Anacoco, New Iberia, Baton Rouge, Loreauville, Lafayette and currently Watson.  In the process of relocating to the Houston Area though.

My Cajun blood line is there, but thin; however, since I graduated from USL, I am officially a Ragin Cajun.  ;D

S/F,

Dennis

Possenti2264

« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2009, 07:58:10 AM »
I'm in Bossier.  If any preppers want some fresh veggies, I have Summer Squash coming out of my ears.  I only have three plants, but they're putting out 3-7 squash per day.  Soon I hope to have some tomatoes coming and potatoes.  All plants are Heirloom, so you can harvest the seeds and plant them next year. 

PM me if you want some.

(PS - Shreveport/Bossier is East Texas, not South Arkansas)

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2009, 10:20:14 AM »
welcome! man is there no one south of New Orleans in our community? im so lonely.........

Possenti2264

« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2009, 10:49:49 AM »
There's a reason there's no one south of N.O..  They bugged out 4 years ago and never came back!

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2009, 12:56:59 PM »
oh snap! it doesn't flood here though :) because everyone thinks it does the property is dirt cheap. and plus grand isle is fixed up so the beach is really nice to go to.

Possenti2264

« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2009, 01:05:12 PM »
What do you do for a job?

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2009, 01:11:05 PM »
i've just left college. now i'm in the process of becoming an electrician's apprentice. every year there will be plenty of work in the NO area. it's a good career i can raise a family on.

Offline Harold J. Forbes

• Prepper
  • Believer in Gresham's Law
    • Harold J. Forbes - Author Page
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2009, 01:10:03 PM »
Born in the Red Stick many moons ago.  I have lived in Denham Springs, Anacoco, New Iberia, Baton Rouge, Loreauville, Lafayette and currently Watson.  In the process of relocating to the Houston Area though.

It's amazing how many of us there are that have made the move from Louisiana to Houston. I grew up in Denham Springs and moved to Houston after graduating from LSU because I couldn't find a job in Louisiana. We have so many LSU alums here they even created a North Houston LSU Alumni chapter, and before they did the original Houston chapter was second only to BTR, and closing in rapidly.

Possenti2264

« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2009, 02:09:17 PM »
Actually, my wife and I made the move from Houston to Louisiana.  We lived in SW suburb of Houston and hated it.  We love our nook in NW LA.  Houston's too big, but easier to find a job.  You just can't get out to enjoy the outdoors as easily as LA.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2009, 10:56:45 AM »
im hoping that the state gets some more jobs in LA. that's the problem. all the college students leave. we need all the smart workers to stay in the state. DON'T LEAVE ME!

Offline DeepSea1985

• Senior Survivalist
    • TN Tactical Supply
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2009, 10:49:45 PM »
Louisiana.......I Love it and Hate at the same time. I lived in Metairie, Baton Rouge and Covington for 34 years.......Love the people, and the food.....Hate the political cesspool that is embedded at the local, regional and state levels........Bobby Jindal is finally a breath of fresh air....But he's has decades of crap to overcome....   

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2009, 10:23:21 AM »
i like how Bobby didn't overstep his boundaries and dip into the "rainy day fund". he let the state congress do their job and pass a bill to use a portion of it to help out state healthcare and higher education. that and not raising taxes is what i like that about him.

Possenti2264

« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2009, 11:06:38 AM »
I like that LA has an enormous gun culture.  I think I see more pink browning stickers on girls cars than anything else.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2009, 11:10:01 AM »
we are the "Sportsman's Paradise".

Offline Harold J. Forbes

• Prepper
  • Believer in Gresham's Law
    • Harold J. Forbes - Author Page
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2009, 11:34:28 AM »
Actually, my wife and I made the move from Houston to Louisiana.  We lived in SW suburb of Houston and hated it.  We love our nook in NW LA.  Houston's too big, but easier to find a job.  You just can't get out to enjoy the outdoors as easily as LA.

I never said I liked being in Houston. Yes I moved here by choice, but in my view it is a total craphole. It is just a big trashy city filled with "gentlemen's clubs" and unsightly strip malls on every corner. It is summed up pretty well by a bumper sticker I saw on the freeway last week that said "Keep Houston Ugly". Ultimately I am only here for the money, and at which point I am no longer dependent on an outside employment income I'm taking my happy butt back to Louisiana.

Offline m3lvin

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2009, 07:51:09 AM »
Greetings Guys,

I saw the thread and figured that I'd respond to this roll call.  I'm a New Orleanian currently living in Thailand and due back some time in October.  I've definitely been giving some thought on trying to get myself into some kind of more sustainable lifestyle and would love some local input.  Jack's got me thinking about this whole permaculture thing and I plan on visiting some farms out here in SE Asia.  I'll start a separate topic regarding that.  Anyways, that's my shout out to my fellow Louisianians.  Can't wait to have a good old cochon de lait when I get back. 

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2009, 09:13:10 AM »
HEY! glad to have you in the community! we're few but a good group of guys/gals here.