Author Topic: East Texas Beginning Beekeeping  (Read 176 times)

Offline TxMom

• Survivalist Mentor
East Texas Beginning Beekeeping
« on: January 27, 2014, 06:58:48 AM »
For those in the New Boston, Texarkana, Atlanta areas, a friend of mine is teaching a beginning bee keeping class at the Maud library, this Tuesday @7.  https://www.facebook.com/events/631973760192785/

Small town, old library had the roof cave in and they fixed up an old church for the new library.  Since they've brought in classes teaching many skills such as cast iron cooking, quilting, starting seedlings, on going free Taekwondo class and now beekeeping.  It'd be great to see more communities doing similar stuff.

Offline roachs01

• Prepper
Re: East Texas Beginning Beekeeping
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 09:26:04 AM »
Hello,

How was the event?  We have just moved to the Dallas area and are interested in learning more about bee keeping. Is there another event planned? 

Thanks!

Shane

Offline tx_floods

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 03:46:36 PM »
Shane -

I've got two hives that I started in May. They seem to be thriving. I don't know the first thing about it, so I'm not really the guy to be giving lessons about bee keeping. I just jumped in, head first.

Nevertheless, if you, or anyone wants to come look at some hives, we can sure pull the lid off and watch the busy little rascals.

Already got my first (small) batch of honey!! Dee-lish!

Offline roachs01

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 08:13:58 AM »
Sounds awesome TX_Floods!  Great job!

Offline TxMom

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 05:25:40 PM »
I don't know when there will be another one here, the guy teaching is a good friend of mine, but has ms and his health is getting worse.  It would be easier to find beekeepers in your area.  I do like how the library is encouraging teaching, sharing of info this way. earlier this month they had an Vehicle Maintenance made easy  class. 

Offline TXChikk

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lovely
    • Foxy Flair
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 07:55:20 PM »
I've been absent for a while and thought I would 're-start' this thread. I'm in region five, central Texas and looking for a beginner's class on beekeeping. If anyone has any leads on one near the Waco area I would love to hear about it from this community first first before doing the 'Google' thing. I would love to support this community first.