Author Topic: Why would anyone buy this?  (Read 8774 times)

Offline arikinthecity

• Prepper
Why would anyone buy this?
« on: June 16, 2013, 01:23:53 PM »
Logged onto bulk ammo to look at 22 cal ammo.   They must have great deals.   What do I find?   50 Rounds of .22 LR Ammo by Eley Subsonic - 40gr HP  for $20.  That's about 41 cents each.   WTF.   They have another Eley box for even more and the reviews all show that it's just garbage.    I bought 6000 rounds  on black friday at local stores for about  1.9 cents each with buy one get one discounts at two local stores here in North Jersey.  Obviously prices went up since then due to the shootings, gun laws, and media  and I realize this is not the best deal that  Bulk Ammo has  however, it's the only two items they provide for 22LR.     If you're running a web site called BULK ammo  and the only thing you have in stock is 50 round boxes, you may want to just say you're sold out.

nelson96

Re: Why would anyone buy this?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 11:24:21 PM »
Logged onto bulk ammo to look at 22 cal ammo.   They must have great deals.   What do I find?   50 Rounds of .22 LR Ammo by Eley Subsonic - 40gr HP  for $20.  That's about 41 cents each.   WTF.   They have another Eley box for even more and the reviews all show that it's just garbage.    I bought 6000 rounds  on black friday at local stores for about  1.9 cents each with buy one get one discounts at two local stores here in North Jersey.  Obviously prices went up since then due to the shootings, gun laws, and media  and I realize this is not the best deal that  Bulk Ammo has  however, it's the only two items they provide for 22LR.     If you're running a web site called BULK ammo  and the only thing you have in stock is 50 round boxes, you may want to just say you're sold out.

Have you been asleep since December? 

People are paying that price.  Be glad you bought a bunch in November and conserve it.

Offline inconel710

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Not-so-New TSP Forum member
    • My 13Skills Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 11:15:55 AM »
Seriously, they should rename it 22Unicorn instead of 22LR.  Only thing I've seen on the shelves for months have been shotshells.  I'm done to my last box of CCI Mini-mags, a bulk box of Federal Auto Match, and some Remington Golden Bullets that none of my 22's shoot well.

Yes, the price is high, but at least they have some!

Offline Riley_P

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 08:21:39 PM »
Agreed. Time to buy local where there's no shipping. Lots of stores are starting to carry it again and if you don't care about shipping, ammoseek dot com always has 22lr for under 15 cents from multiple stores.

Good luck!

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 08:28:42 PM »
some of our local stores have been getting in bulk 22. They put out 1/4 - 1/3 of their load and limit buyers to 1 box of bulk per day. The next day they put out another portion, and on and on until they are gone (usually Fri, Sat, Sun). Otherwise people will come in and buy them all out and hoard it.

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 12:51:51 AM »
Also, that ammo is not standard 22 ammo, it's subsonic, which already places it at a premium over standard ammo. While not as powerful it is very quiet, and if you have a suppressor for a bolt action 22 is as close to silent as you are going to get.

Offline rotrhed

• Prepper
  • Just Some Guy
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 12:59:40 AM »
http://gunbot.net/

Way better deals than you guys are referencing.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 10:15:55 PM »
Eley is a premium brand, perhaps THE premium brand.  And stated above, any variation from the standard type will be an additional premium.  In the few places I have seen .22LR I have seen it $7-$10 per 50 for just standard brands like CCI, or Win.  The reason the Eley is in stock is because it is expensive and is the last of what folks want to buy.  The cheaper stuff sold out long ago and still is not back on a regular basis.  I guess compared to nothing, a box of 50 is "bulk!"

Fortunately I have been buying 500rd boxes of .22LR for years and have over 20K, but I still keep an eye on supply and it is amazing how precious little there is out there almost a year later.  Most ammo companies have at least a two year backlog so it will be probably 3-4 years before we see major improvement.  Assuming nothing horrible happens in the meantime!

Offline rotrhed

• Prepper
  • Just Some Guy
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 10:23:29 PM »
And, Again:

www.gunbot.net .

There are plenty of in-stock deals for .22LR at far less than 20 cents per round - in fact, the first listing is Armscor 36gr for $0.12.

Heck, using that, I can find .22LR in my preferred 60gr Aguila SSS for $0.18 per round.

Offline katunk

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 05:56:10 PM »
Last week I bought a 1000 round box of Winchester from Wal Mart for 49 bucks. I just happened to be there when they put it out.

Regards