Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > General Ammo, Reloading, Bullet Casting, & Ammo Craft

Ammo Can Efficiency: Maximizing rounds per volume

<< < (3/9) > >>

Carl:

--- Quote from: never_retreat on March 27, 2017, 07:44:52 PM ---Got to be careful doing that. Long runs in the tumbler can change the shapes of the grains of powder, change the burn rate, and affect the case pressure.

--- End quote ---

Yes. The final tumble was to clean away any die lube and add a small coating of automotive wax as a preservative and sealant to keep cases clean and shiney ,though mostly to remove any lubricant so as to prevent powder degradation. A ten minute timer was used for the final polish so as to not cause powder shape and burn rate changes. We used HP38 or WW231 and the flake powder rarely deformed without very long tumbling times and you are correct to avoid such..also many powders tailor burn rate by a coating and this also should not be tumbled long.No rifle ammo was tumbled as live rounds as this is NOT SAFE.

NWPilgrim:
How will the new law affect hand loading and buying of components?  Will you be able to buy primers and powder in-state without the fingerprint/background check?  Even if not, it may be more efficient to buy components and store in bulk rather than piling up loaded ammo.

For instance, you should get at least 10 loads per pistol case, with maybe 1%-2% loss per firing for semi-automatics flinging the brass.  That means to be able to shoot 6,000 rounds you only need to store 700-800 cases, which are the bulkiest part of the cartridge.  Buy powder in 8# jugs takes far less space than eight of the 1# cans.  You can use one powder like W231, Universal, Unique or Power Pistol for example for 9mm, .40 and .45.  At about 5.0 grains per cartridge you get 1,400 loads per pound.  Since you ca stockpile one powder for most common cartridges, you can change your mind down the road and shoot more 9mm than .40, or more .45 than 9mm (assuming bulk bullets are never going to be a problem to purchase). 9mm and .40 both take the same small pistol primers (Remington has an exception).  If you cast, then you can store the lead ingots and make up whichever caliber and weight you want years later.  Just a thought.

Your currently stacking methods looks pretty efficient, but I would agree that you might want to use .30 cal cans for some of it to keep the weight down per can.  You may be fine with 80# ammo cans now, but what if you have an injury, or must rely on someone else to move them at a later date in you absence?  I only stockpile small amounts of factory ammo, the most being good buys on .223 M193 years ago which I store loose in a large ammo can.  My reloads I put in plastic cases with labels, maybe 500 rds at a time per caliber.  Most of my "ammo" is components with three different locations for the amount of primers and powder, and a LOT of ammo cans for various caliber bullets.  All of my .22LR ammo is stored in ammo cans and large plastic toolboxes in their original packaging (mostly Blazer, CCI minimags, CCI SV, and now Aguila super extra HV and SV in their paper boxes).

FreeLancer:
Thanks for the tips NWP. 

Components will not be subject to the same restrictions as ammunition, as far as I can tell right now, so online purchases should still be possible next year.  I do plan to start reloading, starting with .44, but will probably not devote serious resources to components until after my online ammo window closes.  But I really do need to start paying more attention to components.  I have Lee dies for .44 and .40, plus their hand press, which I think I picked up based on Jack's recommendation back in the early days, but never have taken the next step.

CPT Morgan:
Thanks a lot Freelancer  ;) now my own OCD is needing to know just how many more pieces of ammo were able to be fit in to those cans vs. just dumping them in and/or leaving them in the boxes.

I too use military surplus cans to store my ammo, but I just dump it in along with a piece of paper on top to reference the amount and description that was dumped.  Leaving room for a desiccant bag or two...  This is very handy to go to the range with and all I have to do is count my spent cartridges to know how many rounds I need to put back or update the paper with.

IMO, you can't have too many of these cans (.50 and .30 caliber).

Chemsoldier:
So if you like ammo cans...there is more obsession that just ammo...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version