Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Communications

Broadcast AM Portable Radio Mega-Shootout

<< < (4/6) > >>

Chemsoldier:

--- Quote from: Chemsoldier on March 26, 2015, 06:36:12 AM ---You sir, are trouble.

I just ordered one.

--- End quote ---
It just arrived.

Nerd night in the barracks tonight!

Alan Georges:

--- Quote from: Chemsoldier on April 08, 2015, 05:19:06 AM ---It just arrived.

Nerd night in the barracks tonight!

--- End quote ---
Reminds me, that little Sony that Carl recommended, mine came in last week.  I've been casually testing it ever since, will post a review probably over the weekend.  So far it's pretty good, falling somewhere between the Tecsun 660 and Kaito 321 on local-but-weak AM stations.

Carl:

--- Quote from: Alan Georges on April 08, 2015, 06:20:17 AM ---Reminds me, that little Sony that Carl recommended, mine came in last week.  I've been casually testing it ever since, will post a review probably over the weekend.  So far it's pretty good, falling somewhere between the Tecsun 660 and Kaito 321 on local-but-weak AM stations.

--- End quote ---

GREAT!,I want to hear other opinions of the Ten Buck wonder.

Chemsoldier:
Hmm.  So the AN200 antenna came with the Eton Traveler when I ordered from Universal Radio.  The Eton Traveler does not seem to have an antenna port that I can find.  Do I just clamp the antenna wire onto the telescoping whip antenna?  It can't hurt, just wonder if anyone has dealt with this before, is there a super-secret antenna port that isnt in the instructions?

Additional: Are ALL manufacturer radio instruction manuals crap? I havent gotten a good one yet.

Alan Georges:

--- Quote from: Chemsoldier on April 09, 2015, 01:10:35 AM ---Hmm.  So the AN200 antenna came with the Eton Traveler when I ordered from Universal Radio.  The Eton Traveler does not seem to have an antenna port that I can find.  Do I just clamp the antenna wire onto the telescoping whip antenna?  It can't hurt, just wonder if anyone has dealt with this before, is there a super-secret antenna port that isnt in the instructions?

--- End quote ---
No clamping required, in fact the whip antenna probably has little to do with the AM portion of the radio.  Point your radio in the direction of a weak station, as you usually would.  Put some kind of support under it to bring it up so it sorta will be in the middle of the ring.  Put the ring near or even over one end of the radio; again, it's not critical.  Now things are inductively coupled.  Turn the antenna's dial until the signal gets stronger.  That's all there is to it.

Kind of short on time this morning, but I'll try to post a picture later today.

--- Quote ---Additional: Are ALL manufacturer radio instruction manuals crap? I havent gotten a good one yet.

--- End quote ---
I think that manuals written by native English speakers are bad enough.  Throw in cross-language difficulties and radio manuals are in a class of their own.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version