Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Firearms Advice For Beginners

Choosing a shotgun?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Zeus:
Personally I wouldn't buy a Remington anything after the 1990's. Their quality has diminished drastically in my opinion. An old Wingmaster would be a good way to go on the cheap with excellent build quality over the Express model 870. Mossy 500 good to go as well. Had both, like both. Kept my Benelli Supe Nova for my pump gun. Kel Tec KSG for home defense.

InquiringMind:
Thanks for all the good info. You've given me a bunch to think about.

Brand preferences aside, how do you choose between:
- 12ga or 20ga (or something else?)
- Longer or shorter barrel
- Synthetic or wood stock

And what should you look for in interchangeable chokes?

Ranger Dave:
I would suggest 20ga since you want your other half to shoot also.

RD

Blue Sky:
Not knowing much about shotguns at the time, I asked some internet friends and due to my very bad shoulders and I was looking for a "home defense" as well as a practice shotgun, they recommended and I bought a Mossberg 500 .410 pump action with a wooden stock. I did however, have trouble finding ammo for a while but when I bought it, I also bought a case of ammo so no problem.  My shotgun safety class instructor told me not to expect to hit any clays with it but I did - 14 out of 20 first time out.  Not too heavy, easy to use, load, etc and the price is reasonable.

Carl:

--- Quote from: InquiringMind on August 26, 2014, 01:04:27 PM ---Thanks for all the good info. You've given me a bunch to think about.

Brand preferences aside, how do you choose between:
- 12ga or 20ga (or something else?)
- Longer or shorter barrel
- Synthetic or wood stock

And what should you look for in interchangeable chokes?

--- End quote ---

12 or 20 ? 12 has the edge on availability of shells and COST of shells available. Recoil is much the same in either,in fact many "low recoil" shells are available for 12 gauge. Reloading costs are to close to worry.

I prefer a 24 to 26 inch barrel for hunting due to the feel as I swing on a bird (I don't shoot clay as no matter how you cook it ,it tastes like MUD)

The current synthetic stocks are as tough ,or tougher than wood ,Though the look of wood is my preference...a hunting/work gun is NOT for looking at...you may find the balance of weight with a synthetic stock is a bit more forward than a wood stock and this can interfere with swing and follow thru wile bird hunting.

My current preferred combo is a synthetic stock 12 Gauge with a 4 shell holder on the butt-stock (weight balances more to rear) and a 24 inch Modified choke ...not the BEST for every use but acceptable performance and remember that steel shot does not perform like lead in chokes. A shot DIVERTER may be a benefit for hunting as it spreads shot in a usable string.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version