Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Firearms Advice For Beginners

Choosing a shotgun?

<< < (3/5) > >>

lostprepper:
You can buy shorter and longer barrels for either the 870 or the 500. I own the 500 and have an 18.5" (home defense) and a 28" (field barrel), the extra barrel was $160 shipped to my door. Oh and they make various barrels like slug or field. So if you buy a security shotgun and purchase a longer barrel afterwards, make sure you are not buying the slug barrel since you want to shoot skeet.

Most of the people I work with prefer the Rem. 870 over the 500. From what I have been told it is easier to work on, and the Mossberg 500's feed ramp doesn't allow for mini-shells if that is something you are interested in.

To address the gauge issue, 20GA will be easier on the arm and IMO will be just as effective as the 12GA. I think it is easier to find accessories for both in 12GA than in the other variations.

11steve11:
I purchased both of these shotguns last year in 12ga and agree with much of these posts.
To add a few extra items to consider and the results:

>The Mossberg may be broken down completely and re-assembled by the owner, the Remington needs a smith to work on some parts like the ejector.

>Both were around $300 brand new in the box, however I got 2 barrels and 2 chokes with the Mossberg.  The clamp that held the barrels together at the store clamps a flashlight real good too.

>We considered 20ga and 410. 12ga rounds could be found seemingly anywhere (hardware stores too) by the pallets even when I couldn't find any other rifle, handgun or shot gun sizes. AND they were $5 a box for dove loads with no limit.  I also find that the guys I work with that reload shotshells use 12ga.

>We also considered alot of the aftermarket stuff to make the guns really cool.  I have a flashlight mounted on the Mossberg security barrel - unremarkable I know.

>Shooting them side by side at the range I found myself reaching for the Mossberg 500 more than the Remington.  Problem was I was having to share it with 2 girls who were having a great time shooting those clays too.

>If I was to do it over again, I'd buy 2 Mossbergs 500's, one with 2 barrels.  The Remington is beautiful with the wood stock and is a great firearm, we just find the Mossberg better.

goofyshooter:
I own a 500 and an 870. Both inexpensive, I gotta go with the 500, I like the safety better, easier for a left handed shooter.

DrJohn:
Remington 11-87 in 20 gauge.  This is a semi auto shottie and that combined with the smaller shells will allow longer shooting sessions for you, and allow the significant other to handle it.  It's a great hunter and clay sport gun, light enough to carry in the field all day. Accepts rem chokes.

Tyler Durden:
I second the 11-87 in 20 gauge.  Or an 1100.  I strongly suggest you don't buy new.  I have been hunting small game, upland birds, water foul, and deer with shotguns for 24 years now and have never purchased a new one.  They last forever and you don't really have to worry about whether or not the barrel was taken care of properly or worn out, etc.  You'll save $ and it will still outlast you.  You can walk into any good gun store and find a rack full of used Remington 870's, 11-87's, and 1100's for a good price.  They are simple to work on and parts abound.  Even a 12 gauge, if you buy 2-3/4 inch shells, can be managed by almost anyone.  Barrel length is a mix of personal preference and circumstance.  If you hunt grouse and small game in the woods, shorter is better, but even for foul, the current trend is toward shorter barrels.  I personally prefer long for pheasants, ducks and geese.  My go to is a Browning A-5 with a 30 inch barrel (I once saw one with a 32, but didn't have the funds.  Would have been perfect!) 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version