Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Firearms Advice For Beginners

Negligent discharge

<< < (4/5) > >>

mountainmoma:
My dad has a bullet behind his right kneecap that has been there for 50 years now. He was a young man, something about one gun emptied into it (his or a friends ? I don't know), and the wild boar still charging at him and an accidental discharge as he pulled his revolver out of his holster. When he was younger, it bothered him a bit, with the weather changes. Bothers him much more as he's aged and is an old man.

flippydidit:
+1 for your candor.  As a young teenager that knew almost nothing about firearms I managed to blow a hole through the floor of my dad's van.  I turned ghostly white, and after that experience with his .30-06 rifle I vowed that, "I'd never touch a gun again."

After joining the Army that vow transformed into, "I'm going to learn as much about firearms as is humanly possible.  Then I'm going to take that information and pass it on to others."  It's always bothered me that some "gun guys" act like they are doing you a favor by talking about firearms to new members of the firearms community.  To that end I've tried to not be "that guy".  Firearms are fun but also seriously dangerous.  They are not a topic that ever needs to be clouded in mystery or ego.  Keep up the great posts, and welcome to our community.

NWPilgrim:
Well at least you followed at least one safety rule more or less and nothing important was hit. Keeping your firearm pointed in a safe direction is probably the single rule that will prevent most serious NDs.  what is heartbreaking is when someone has a ND and was playing around purposely pointing at someone.  good for you to keep the muzzle pointing at the floor when it occurred.

Way to own up to it and take it to heart for the future.  I like these stories as it is a vivid reminder to us all that it can happen in a blink of an eye of distraction or "of course it's not loaded...".

redeyeprep:
I had one incident early on in my marriage that – fortunately – didn't result in a ND, but it could have been ugly. My wife was playing around and pointed my carry gun at me, fully loaded with one in the chamber (which is how I always carry it). I very slowly got off the line and gently took the gun from her. Luckily for me, she inadvertently observed the 'keep your nose picker off the bang lever' rule. She meant no harm, but I instantly recognized the need for some serious firearm safety training. She's since gone on to get her CCW and has even taken an advanced pistol class with me. I in turn bought her a nice FNP-9 (great handgun BTW. Wish I had one!) that she wanted as a graduation present. I never mention that incident to her, although I still occasionally annoy her by randomly asking her about the four safety rules.   ;)

The takeaway lesson is that no matter how well versed the shooters in the household are on gun safety, they damn well better make sure the non-shooters are well versed too. If I had been shot that day, it would have absolutely been my fault, but my possibly widowed wife would have had to live with that for the rest of her life.

Rangeboss:
When I started as a cop in '86, my first dept was a war zone. 150 cops and 18 officer involved shootings the first year I was there. The weapon of choice was Colt .45 1911, cocked and locked. I had been a revolver shooter up to that point and I was issued a model 19, .357. 
I chose the S&W 645 with double action on the first round. I practiced 200 rounds a day, 5-6 days a week for 2 years there. Always burned 200 before going on duty. They did not mind.

Out of 160 lockers in the locker room, 12 had half inch holes in them. None from me, thank goodness, but my partner had his .45 fall out of his holster and go off when it hit the ground. Fortunately the gun hit my foot when it went off, the bullet went the other way.

Be safe peeps.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version