Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Firearms Advice For Beginners

Hand Gun or Shotgun or Rifle?

<< < (4/5) > >>

MississippiJarhead:

--- Quote from: Rookinde on January 21, 2014, 10:13:02 AM ---I have a break barrel 20. gauge shotgun, .22 LR Ruger, and a .22 revolver Ruger. I didn't know which is the best way to go with this.
--- End quote ---

* Being a .20ga with modern slugs can be quite the deer slayer, a defensive caliber handgun would be my #1 priority.
* If the ".22 LR Ruger" you listed second is not a long gun, I'd make picking up a .22 LR rifle my second priority.
* A Pump action 12GA  shotgun would come after that.
* I'd have to get an EBR (Evil Black Rifle) after that.

MississippiJarhead:

--- Quote from: CharlesH on January 22, 2014, 05:26:11 PM --- 
Very true, but it brings up an interesting question I'd love anyone's thoughts on as a corollary to this topic: when to sell a rifle, handgun or shotgun.  Specifically, as the only "gun guy" in my generation of the family, I get weapons from the older generation every time there is a death.  I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth and I have ended up with some very nice older weapons and even a few real gems.  But I also have a lot of stuff I will never shoot and some stuff that has moved beyond it's shooting life because of age, lack of production ammo, or unserviceability.

Do others have a rule of thumb under these circumstances for selling?  Most of my friends are of the "never ever ever ever ever sell a gun" mentality, but Nelson96 made me think about why am I keeping around stuff i don't enjoy.  Sentimental value is important, but is that always enough?

--- End quote ---
I'm right there with you. I've got a pretty massive collection of mostly hunting arms.

Not long ago I cam to an epiphany. Stuff, is stuff. I keep the most sentimental pieces. I sell the pieces that were somewhat recently acquired and of no particular importance or usefulness. I have a few I'm saving for a couple of my nephews, just so they can have a weapon of their Papaw's. They weren't special to my step-Dad, their Papaw, but they were his.

Now, weapons that were gifted to me or hand me downs that have true family history (primary or first hunting weapons, etc.) are strictly of limits for any sort of trading or selling. Well, unless times got extraordinarily hard.

Smurf Hunter:

--- Quote from: Mortblanc on January 22, 2014, 05:32:30 PM ---Everything you speak of is based on a single view/definition of prepping and/or self defense and the expectation that the government will grandfather in what you already own.

If this man wants a firearm he can use for sport and hunting it will be a revolver with a 6 inch barrel.  He is not allowed to hunt with a rifle.  He is not allowed to hunt with a simiauto pistol having a barrel less than 5.5 inches.

That is the way the laws in his state read.

Judging from the way he is wording his query I expect he wants all the use he can get for his money and does not want to have his investment confiscated when Delaware goes the way of New York.

--- End quote ---
]

My goodness - please re-read your original post in this thread.  I've already spelled out the contradiction. 

David in MN:
Used police Glock (often not very used if he/she wasn't a shooter) and a Mosin. Poof, you're done for under $500.

I'm only slightly joking. Used guns are great on a budget and most have fewer than 50 rounds through them. There are a lot of police guns that were only used to qualify and have nice sight upgrades that can be had for a bargain. I also look for lightweight revolvers on the used market because idiots buy them, put 2 rounds of .357 through them and promptly sell them back as "unshootable". I haven't played the Makerov/Tokarev game yet but I know a guy who swears by them.

The surplus rifle market also is kind to the budget. Sometimes the ammo is a bargain too, comrade.

It sounds to me like you need to iron out your purpose and go from there. Sounds like a good start with a shotgun and some .22s. Figure out what you want from it and a good firearm isn't that hard to find. Don't feel pressure from us wizbang types that think shotguns need heatshields and light holding foregrips. You don't "need" an AR let alone a thermal imaging sight, 27 position buttstock, and rail mounted coffee grinder. Budget gun shopping, as most honest shooters will tell you, is one of the most fun things you can do. Find a gem and post it up here and brag about it forever.

Max:

--- Quote from: Rookinde on January 21, 2014, 10:13:02 AM ---Ok background on what I have so far;

I have a break barrel 20. gauge shotgun, .22 LR Ruger, and a .22 revolver Ruger. I didn't know which is the best way to go with this.

Thanks,
Rook

--- End quote ---

Jack has plenty of great shows that address this question. I also have a podcast addressing this issue if you care to check it out.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/modernamericanprepper/episode_3.mp3

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version