Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Firearms Advice For Beginners

Hand Gun or Shotgun or Rifle?

<< < (3/5) > >>

Smurf Hunter:

--- Quote from: Mortblanc on January 22, 2014, 08:14:20 AM ---You need to buy the handgun due to the legal issues.

Buy now what you will not be allowed to buy latter.

it would not be my first choice on practical measures, but the legal situation in your area demands this move.

You can get the shotgun next due to the lack of threat to it now and down the road.

And when you pick the handgun choose something that will not be banned by your state, or the magazines it uses banned.

The present legal situation favors 6 shot revolvers being the handguns least feared and threatened by TPTB.

Only revolvers and ss pistols are allowed for hunting in your state, and the barrel must be 6".

Delaware is a shotgun only deer hunting state so considering a center fire rifle is not an option if you want something you can actually use and not just look at.

--- End quote ---

You seem to counterdict yourself. 

You start by saying to buy something that's at risk of future ban.  Then you say to get a handgun that's not likely to be banned.

If you think future sales of semi-autos and/or 10+ round magazines are at risk, go buy a Glock 17 or similar duty sized gun.
If you tihnk there will be no grandfathering of the above, and there'll be door by door confiscation, then you can a lower profile handgun (revolver) at your own convenience.

Personally, from a prepping perspective you should always be buying for capability.  Ask "does this new gun I'm looking at offer me additional shooting capability?"

It kind of seems like home/self defense should be high on the OP list of capabilities needed to be filled.

CharlesH:

--- Quote from: nelson96 on January 22, 2014, 08:19:24 AM ---My .02. . . .  Buy according to specific use and need, even if it means you need a dozen firearms.  You'll enjoy each and every one of them that much more.

--- End quote ---

Very true, but it brings up an interesting question I'd love anyone's thoughts on as a corollary to this topic: when to sell a rifle, handgun or shotgun.  Specifically, as the only "gun guy" in my generation of the family, I get weapons from the older generation every time there is a death.  I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth and I have ended up with some very nice older weapons and even a few real gems.  But I also have a lot of stuff I will never shoot and some stuff that has moved beyond it's shooting life because of age, lack of production ammo, or unserviceability.

Do others have a rule of thumb under these circumstances for selling?  Most of my friends are of the "never ever ever ever ever sell a gun" mentality, but Nelson96 made me think about why am I keeping around stuff i don't enjoy.  Sentimental value is important, but is that always enough?

Mortblanc:

--- Quote from: smurf hunter on January 22, 2014, 01:32:59 PM ---You seem to counterdict yourself. 

You start by saying to buy something that's at risk of future ban.  Then you say to get a handgun that's not likely to be banned.

If you think future sales of semi-autos and/or 10+ round magazines are at risk, go buy a Glock 17 or similar duty sized gun.
If you tihnk there will be no grandfathering of the above, and there'll be door by door confiscation, then you can a lower profile handgun (revolver) at your own convenience.

Personally, from a prepping perspective you should always be buying for capability.  Ask "does this new gun I'm looking at offer me additional shooting capability?"

It kind of seems like home/self defense should be high on the OP list of capabilities needed to be filled.

--- End quote ---

Everything you speak of is based on a single view/definition of prepping and/or self defense and the expectation that the government will grandfather in what you already own.

If this man wants a firearm he can use for sport and hunting it will be a revolver with a 6 inch barrel.  He is not allowed to hunt with a rifle.  He is not allowed to hunt with a simiauto pistol having a barrel less than 5.5 inches.

That is the way the laws in his state read.

Judging from the way he is wording his query I expect he wants all the use he can get for his money and does not want to have his investment confiscated when Delaware goes the way of New York.

nelson96:

--- Quote from: CharlesH on January 22, 2014, 05:26:11 PM --- 
Very true, but it brings up an interesting question I'd love anyone's thoughts on as a corollary to this topic: when to sell a rifle, handgun or shotgun.  Specifically, as the only "gun guy" in my generation of the family, I get weapons from the older generation every time there is a death.  I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth and I have ended up with some very nice older weapons and even a few real gems.  But I also have a lot of stuff I will never shoot and some stuff that has moved beyond it's shooting life because of age, lack of production ammo, or unserviceability.

Do others have a rule of thumb under these circumstances for selling?  Most of my friends are of the "never ever ever ever ever sell a gun" mentality, but Nelson96 made me think about why am I keeping around stuff i don't enjoy.  Sentimental value is important, but is that always enough?
--- End quote ---

Having only received guns passed down to me that fit a need I didn't already have, I can't very well speak toward selling a gun with sentimental value.  That said, I do sell other guns to make room for others.  It makes no sense to me to keep a gun that doesn't have a purpose or fit the intended user (especially if I don't even plink with it) when if I sold it I could purchase a gun that did serve a purpose and/or person.  Even so, that happens very little in my collection since I do have a family to outfit (wife, daughters, and future grandchildren).

More importanlty, I concentrate most of my efforts on supportive gear (top notch optics, accurate and reliable ammunition, etc.).  Without that, all my guns are useless IMO.  And I don't mind selling a gun to buy these items to make another gun I own more functional.

joeandmich:

--- Quote from: CharlesH on January 22, 2014, 05:26:11 PM --- 

--- End quote ---

I'm in the same boat. I have too many firearms that I've inherited from family members.

Joe

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version