Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Firearms Advice For Beginners

New owner needs advice on maintainence

<< < (4/4)

David in MN:
When I first started I cleaned and oiled every gun monthly. Now it's an annual thing. Some guns (.22 and 1911 are the big examples) need a little more TLC than say a Glock or M&P. I just mention this because I was doing frame disassembly every time I shot. Totally unnecessary.

I'd run a bore snake when you shoot and a more thorough cleaning when you remember. Use good quality solvents and oils (all the good ones work and I've even heard of pros who use Mobil 1 to save money).

If it's at all stainless, I highly recommend the Beechwood Casey lead removing polishing cloths. They keep my revolvers beautifully.

Lastly, safety, safety, safety. Obey the 4 rules and have fun.

redeyeprep:

--- Quote from: David in MN on May 03, 2014, 12:10:30 PM ---When I first started I cleaned and oiled every gun monthly. Now it's an annual thing. Some guns (.22 and 1911 are the big examples) need a little more TLC than say a Glock or M&P. I just mention this because I was doing frame disassembly every time I shot. Totally unnecessary.

I'd run a bore snake when you shoot and a more thorough cleaning when you remember. Use good quality solvents and oils (all the good ones work and I've even heard of pros who use Mobil 1 to save money).

If it's at all stainless, I highly recommend the Beechwood Casey lead removing polishing cloths. They keep my revolvers beautifully.

Lastly, safety, safety, safety. Obey the 4 rules and have fun.

--- End quote ---

+1

It's been my observation that people tend to overclean. Also, bore snakes...best-thing-ever.   ;)

My only other advice is to avoid aluminum cleaning rods. Especially the screw together kind found in the universal cleaning kids. And if that's all you have, throw it out and use a bore snake instead. For those times when you must use a cleaning rod, invest in a quality coated steel one piece rod. You never regret it.

MississippiJarhead:
I've been meaning to get a bore snake but I use the (I believe to be steel) screw together rods that go in an M16 cleaning kit. I have extra sections and drop them in and pull them through. I never push them through. It's so much easier to pull them. I use a solid shotgun cleaning rod for my muzzle loaders and my shotguns.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version