Author Topic: New owner needs advice on maintainence  (Read 10819 times)

Offline BassManNate

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
New owner needs advice on maintainence
« on: July 26, 2013, 05:51:04 PM »
While I've shot lots of other people's guns in my life, I've never owned one myself and so I've never needed to maintain one. I'm getting a Ruger SR22 handgun in a few weeks. What would you recommend to someone just starting out in terms of supplies?

Offline mithgar50

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: New owner needs advice on maintainence
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 08:18:28 PM »
You can buy some great premade gun cleaning kits at Wal Mart for around 30 bucks that will get you started and from there you just replace as you use stuff up.  These are universal kits and will work for many guns if you get the bug like most people and can't stop at just one.  If you don't want to buy a universal kit to start with I recommend the following

cleaning rod
cleaning tip for your caliber (just the tip to push the swab thru with, don't need a wire tip for a new gun but if used may    want one to clean out any old residue, if cleaned regularly as a gun owner you shouldn't need one ever if gun bought new)
gun oil
cleaning solvent (I use Hoppe's #9 gun bore cleaner purchased at Wal Mart)
gun oil
cotton swabs

There are great videos on you tube on how to clean any gun I have purchased so go there and watch to fill in anything else you may need or want and also to see how to clean the gun.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 11:36:46 PM »
get an old shirt or two to wipe it down with and oil it up. i have an old rag that i put a little oil on every now and then and wipe down the guns when i put them in the safe. helps to keep them looking nice and protect the finish.

q-tips are amazing at getting into small spaces to clean out stuff.

also a set up gun picks (like the dentist has) make for good detailing.

Offline Absit

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 12:27:57 AM »
A bore snake (I use it at the range before packing up for the day)
A cleaning rod
A patch loop
A jag (no one uses jags anymore, they're freaking awesome..)
A bore brush
A nylon brush for scrubbing
A bronze brush for scrubbing
Patches
A solvent (Hoppes 9)
An oil (motor oil, CLP, anything.  I like CLP for my bores)*
A grease (red lithium wheel bearing grease works great)*
Lots of q tips
A silicon cloth if you want it to look petty

*I use cheap oil/grease on range only guns.  I use SLIP2000 on guns I carry.
*Rule of thumb is you put oil on things that rotate and grease on things that slide.

Offline Lifeon2whls

• Survivor
  • Living on the Road Fulltime
    • We're The Russos
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 03:49:10 PM »
Also, make sure you have this stuff BEFORE you pick up the gun. Being your first gun, I'm sure you'll want to run right out and shoot it so make sure you have supplies because when you buy it, you will need to clean and lube it before you take it out. Find a good video on youtube that teaches how to strip the pistol down. It's good for you to know your gun and all the internal parts, how they work, etc.

Offline BassManNate

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 08:42:07 PM »
Also, make sure you have this stuff BEFORE you pick up the gun. Being your first gun, I'm sure you'll want to run right out and shoot it so make sure you have supplies because when you buy it, you will need to clean and lube it before you take it out. Find a good video on youtube that teaches how to strip the pistol down. It's good for you to know your gun and all the internal parts, how they work, etc.

Well, it's my father bringing it up and I know my wife would KILL me if I left her home with my parents while I go have fun. My dad and I may go to the range at some point when things slow down.

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 12:11:16 AM »
I believe the SR22 is a copy of the Walther P22 which I have owned for some time, Looks like Ruger made some improvements, like the sights so that's good..you shouldn't lose yours.

The only downfall I found with mine is when you have to do a really deep cleaning, .22LR can be dirty and the aluminum receiver sits in the plastic frame and I had to remove mine. The rolled spring pins are a pain to get out and in and you risk breaking things. I did it once but I don't think I'll do it again, best to use compressed air if you got it.

As for normal maintenance, it's pretty easy to clean... I would clean mine every 150-200 rounds after that the residue builds up and the slide will not function properly or the rounds will FTF, fail to feed. I mostly shot CCI standard velocity or Subsonic...w/ my suppressor....very fun and quiet enough for suburban living ;D

BTW, Ruger has a disassembly video on their website...Have fun and be safe

Offline Gulo gulo

• Senior Survivalist
  • Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 03:47:34 AM »
+1for bore snake! Got my first one in the army cuz I was tired of using 100+ patches to clean out the barrel. I have one for every gauge and caliber I own. They're great!

Offline MississippiJarhead

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I never learned from a man who agreed with me.-RAH
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 05:14:07 AM »
No need to get fancy.

A basic kit add Q-tips and a can of CLP and a silicone rag.

Offline BassManNate

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 05:42:56 AM »
Any opinions on Ballistol? Seems to have a cult like following. If it works as well as the cult says, sounds like something to have on hand.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 12:21:14 PM »
never heard of ballistol before. i did a quick search on another forum i frequent and it seems to have a good rep. not sure if you can view these without being a member.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xd-gunsmithing-maintenance/236114-just-discovered-ballistol.html

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xd-s-discussion-room/240664-ballistol-frog-lube.html

Offline bdhutier

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Defensor libertas
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 12:29:48 PM »
My regimen:

0. CLEAR THE WEAPON!!
1. Flush barrel with tap water.
2. Brass brush down the bore.
3. Flush with tap water again.
4. Spray with WD-40.
5. Wipe down outside, patch the barrel until dry.
6. Toothbrush the receiver under tap water.
7. Spray with WD-40, and wipe down.
8. Spray exterior metal and bore with some Rem oil, wipe with a separate rag I only use for that.
9. With a separate toothbrush, I apply a film of Lubriplate Engine Grease to moving contact surfaces as needed.
10. Function check.
11. Hang it up until next time.

Materials needed:
1. Water
2. Brass brush and brass cleaning rod
3. WD-40
4. Dollar store toothbrushes
5. Your favorite oil and grease
6. Couple of rags
7. Old, crappy 100% cotton t-shirt, cut into pieces
8. 5-8 minutes

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 01:42:12 AM »
Any opinions on Ballistol? Seems to have a cult like following. If it works as well as the cult says, sounds like something to have on hand.
Never heard of it. I use the same stuff I used 20 years ago. If a weapon is horribly dirty (muddy or having shot high corrosive ammo*) I'll actually use very hot soapy water, rinsing with very hot pure water. This will heat the metal so much that any water you don't wipe off dries very quickly. Then oil with LCP (or apply bore butter if it is a muzle loader).  Any other time use the LCP both as cleaner and oil. If you are shooting jacketed, non-corosive, ammo cleaning the bore, IMHO, is not something to be over zealous about. Unless the weapon m

Always make sure you keep the surface of your weapon oiled. If there is the slightest chance it got wet oil it. If it goes from the cold to the hot oil it. Keeping the bore from rusting should be a top priority.

*Windex having been applied as soon as shooting was over.

Offline Pchitti

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2013, 09:04:04 PM »
Be careful with the cheap universal kits cleaning rod, you can do some nasty things to the crown of the barrel. Not as much of an issue with the pistol, but if you go to use it on a rifle pay extra attention to your insertion.

Other then that the kits tend to be a great first step. I can not suggest anything more helpful than a cleaning pad! Your significant other will be much happier if you dont leave chemical residues all over the table.

Offline lokitacticalgear

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Professional Common Sense Thinker
    • LOKI Tactical Gear
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2014, 09:44:01 AM »
Definitely a cleaning pad, and possibly a little magnet dish like the ones that sears sell, its handy for keeping your little springies and various parts in order.

I don't know the brand but I bought a cleaning pad from the nra store for like 20 bucks and it has a magnet strip built in.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2014, 12:10:30 PM »
When I first started I cleaned and oiled every gun monthly. Now it's an annual thing. Some guns (.22 and 1911 are the big examples) need a little more TLC than say a Glock or M&P. I just mention this because I was doing frame disassembly every time I shot. Totally unnecessary.

I'd run a bore snake when you shoot and a more thorough cleaning when you remember. Use good quality solvents and oils (all the good ones work and I've even heard of pros who use Mobil 1 to save money).

If it's at all stainless, I highly recommend the Beechwood Casey lead removing polishing cloths. They keep my revolvers beautifully.

Lastly, safety, safety, safety. Obey the 4 rules and have fun.

Offline redeyeprep

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
    • redeyeprep
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2014, 10:09:54 AM »
When I first started I cleaned and oiled every gun monthly. Now it's an annual thing. Some guns (.22 and 1911 are the big examples) need a little more TLC than say a Glock or M&P. I just mention this because I was doing frame disassembly every time I shot. Totally unnecessary.

I'd run a bore snake when you shoot and a more thorough cleaning when you remember. Use good quality solvents and oils (all the good ones work and I've even heard of pros who use Mobil 1 to save money).

If it's at all stainless, I highly recommend the Beechwood Casey lead removing polishing cloths. They keep my revolvers beautifully.

Lastly, safety, safety, safety. Obey the 4 rules and have fun.

+1

It's been my observation that people tend to overclean. Also, bore snakes...best-thing-ever.   ;)

My only other advice is to avoid aluminum cleaning rods. Especially the screw together kind found in the universal cleaning kids. And if that's all you have, throw it out and use a bore snake instead. For those times when you must use a cleaning rod, invest in a quality coated steel one piece rod. You never regret it.

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2014, 12:38:00 PM »
I've been meaning to get a bore snake but I use the (I believe to be steel) screw together rods that go in an M16 cleaning kit. I have extra sections and drop them in and pull them through. I never push them through. It's so much easier to pull them. I use a solid shotgun cleaning rod for my muzzle loaders and my shotguns.