Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Firearm Self Defense

Is It Fair That a Florida Mom Received a 20-Year Sentence for Firing ‘Warning Sh

(1/4) > >>

dep190:
In light of recent high profile self defense shootings you may want to consider having an insurance policy http://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/home    a NRA or gun owners memberships or a small bag of money stashed at home in the event heaven forbid you have to use your weapon or are prosecuted for such actions! Florida seems to have some messed up laws!

Is It Fair That a Florida Mom Received a 20-Year Sentence for Firing ‘Warning Shot’?

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/07/15/is-it-fair-that-a-florida-mom-received-a-20-year-sentence-for-firing-warning-shot/

Cedar:
Especially since the husband said the event took place one way and then took place another. He looks suspicious in that. She never wavered in her story from the articles I read. A bullet never connected with him and if it was in the house, where is the bullet? (Singular bullet, since she only fired once he said). How does 'Stand your Ground" law not work here for her when he had already been abusive in the past? When he had just trapped her in the bathroom? Since the kids were present, what did they say about the incident? If anyone needs to protested for in a gun incident, I think perhaps she needs it more than TM/GZ. If she was going to get 20 years in hindsight anyway, she might have been better off shooting him. She might have been out faster.

Cedar

RitaRose1945:
i know people are thinking this is an obvious scenario, but it's really not.  I'm just starting to hear about this, and at first I was thinking how it was a (unintended pun) black and white situation.  Now it doesn't really appear to be.

From the story:

--- Quote ---Alexander was also charged with domestic battery four months after the shooting in another assault on Gray, which many said indicated little remorse over the first incident. She pleaded no contest and was sentenced to time served.

Her family says that doesn’t erase the fact that a relatively law-abiding person — a woman with a master’s degree — who was making positive contributions to society will endure prison for two decades over a single violation in which no one was hurt.
--- End quote ---

She pleaded no contest to assaulting the guy that she was convicted of shooting.  So... it's not like she's completely incapable of violence.

And stating that she has a Masters degree - seriously?  Like that automatically makes someone a peaceful, law abiding citizen???

At the same time, this part is all wrong:

--- Quote ---A judge threw out Alexander’s “stand your ground” self-defense claim, noting that she could have run out of the house to escape her husband but instead got the gun and went back inside.  Alexander claimed she did try to escape through the garage, but after finding the garage door was jammed, grabbed her gun before going back.
--- End quote ---

Either you have "stand your ground" or you don't.  If he was aggressive, then she was not obligated to "run out of the house and escape her husband".  And if the garage door really was jammed, then she had no place to go anyway.  But if the garage door was jammed, how did she get her car in there?  What are the odds it would suddenly jam at this one particular time?

BlueHound:
We don't know all the facts, but I'm sure that she really hurt her case when she left the house, went back to her car to retrieve the gun, and then returned to the house.  Returning makes it difficult to say that she was in fear for her life and that firing the gun was self defense.

Cedar:

--- Quote from: RitaRose1945 on July 16, 2013, 10:09:42 AM ---Either you have "stand your ground" or you don't. 

--- End quote ---

Yep.

--- Quote from: RitaRose1945 on July 16, 2013, 10:09:42 AM ---If he was aggressive, then she was not obligated to "run out of the house and escape her husband". 

--- End quote ---

And often, you cannot run far enough from them anyway. Even for years.

--- Quote from: RitaRose1945 on July 16, 2013, 10:09:42 AM ---But if the garage door was jammed, how did she get her car in there?  What are the odds it would suddenly jam at this one particular time?

--- End quote ---

This happened to my mom all the time on her side of the garage. I forgot what the deal is, but she had to have the repairman out every few weeks for about a year. The garage door would only open about 2" and start blinking and 'crunching' back and forth that 2 to 2 1/2" back and forth. And that made me think again I do not want to have an electric door opener ever (what if your electric goes out? and those doors are heavy).

Cedar

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version