Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Firearms Advice For Beginners

Fitness for Shooting

(1/3) > >>

PrepperJim:
All -

I know this is probably a dumb question to ask, but I am going to ask it anyway.

I want to get in better general shape, but want to target my fitness to armed self defense. That is, I don't want to be tired holding a shotgun or AR to my shoulder for a couple of hours or going to the range and shooting three guns (handgun, shotgun and Glock) from a variety of of positions - sitting with rest, sitting no rest, standing no rest.

Is there a fitness routine for this beyond general cardio and weights? Perhaps I could do something while traveling....

scoob:
It's actually a great question.

Pick up a copy of Joe Nobody's "Home-schooled Shootist"
There are some interesting exercises in there specifically geared toward shooting.  I believe one example was holding your NPoA (Natural Point of Aim) with a dive or workout ankle/wrist weight on the end of your rifle.

I actually found a copy in my local library, but I got it on my Kindle after i read it.  If you have a Kindle, I think I can loan it to you.

PrepperJim:

--- Quote from: scoob on April 23, 2013, 01:32:53 PM ---It's actually a great question.

Pick up a copy of Joe Nobody's "Home-schooled Shootist"
There are some interesting exercises in there specifically geared toward shooting.  I believe one example was holding your NPoA (Natural Point of Aim) with a dive or workout ankle/wrist weight on the end of your rifle.

I actually found a copy in my local library, but I got it on my Kindle after i read it.  If you have a Kindle, I think I can loan it to you.

--- End quote ---

I am familiar with his work including some of his training material.  That book looks beyond my capabilities and I have no facilities other than the local shooting range. When I move from beginner to intermediate, I'll pick it up.

I cannot really practice holding the natural point of aim with my rifle in the house as I have a delicate relationship to maintain. What I was thinking of is either buying a replica or creating a replica out of wood. The wooden replica would not look like a rifle, but more of a 2X4 cut to length and a pistol grip. I could then hang a weights off the end. I think this would also be good to start at "low ready" and raise up to ready, hold and let down. That would work the relevant muscles.

I ran across this material years ago:

http://www.amazon.com/Combat-Conditioning-Functional-Exercises-Furey/dp/B001G0JMIY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1366748700&sr=8-4&keywords=combat+conditioning

The basics are modified pushups and squats that really get your heart going.

But, the bottom line is I need to get into some regular conditioning and stick with it. If the SHTF right now and I had to walk 35 miles home or engage in some sort of extended home/neighborhood defense, I'd be the 40+ year old keeling over in the heat. ;-)

flyfisher66048:
Might check out these dvds
http://www.onesourcetactical.com/warriortopics_1.aspx

ID_Joker:
Search on youtube for some of Rob Pincus' videos on FitShot.  They should give you some ideas.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version