Author Topic: Beginner AR15  (Read 17190 times)

Offline GodFearingMan

• Prepper
Beginner AR15
« on: January 14, 2013, 06:19:41 PM »
Just got an AR15, finally! I was wondering if there are any must have upgrade? I am looking to get a flip up rear sight, (leaning towards the magpul sights) a good sling but I am unsure what kind I want/need, and obviously I need lots of ammo to practice with :). I can't find ammunition anywhere is my biggest problem. Any suggestions on where and what to get would be appreciated thanks.

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
Re: Beginner AR15
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 06:26:49 PM »
Just got an AR15, finally! I was wondering if there are any must have upgrade?

Ammo and lots of it. Otherwise you have an expensive club.

Right now considering the political climate finding quantity at a good price is right out the door. You will pay and you will pay dearly for delaying.

As for sources.
http://www.ammoman.com
http://www.wideners.com

Or you can try your local gun show or Cabela (and the like)

Offline Luvmy45

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 07:14:24 PM »
How far do you want to go.  :D AR furniture and accessories are endless.

Here's a starting list, none are must have's, except the BUIS rear sight.

Magpul MOE+ Grip (very comfortable, and I prefer the non finger groove.
Magpul BUIS Rear flip up sight or the ARMS BUIS rear flip up, whatever you can find.
Your handguard can take an accessory rail and you can mount up a weapon mounted light of some sort
Mags and ammo... and don't be afraid of metal mags... they've been in use for decades.
Trigger? Oh, there are a ton of options there if you don't like the trigger, drop ins and custom fits.
22 conversion setup for the AR15... not as accurate as a dedicated .22 but for practice can be a good investment, especially if ammo is a $1/round.  ::)

Slings:
I think the 2 point is your best option for starting with. There are super fancy multipoint, complicated, gee whiz slings... and super simple single point slings, but IMHO those are for advance work and application of the rifle. For the most part, you probably won't even need the sling unless your porting it around or using it for a shooting aid.

Offline GodFearingMan

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 07:36:34 PM »
Thanks for the links cmxterra, looks like both those sights are out of stock, got any others you would recommend.

@luvmy45 thanks for the suggestions I was leaning towards the two point sling and I definitely want to replace the grip with the MOE+ grip.
Do you have one of the insets for it that holds batteries or a bolt? Also I am thinking about replacing the gas block with one that has a rail, is this difficult? I don't like seeing the front sight through the red dot

Offline NotoriousAPP

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 07:37:17 PM »
I would really start with a rear sight as the first purchase.  I cherish iron sights to I'm personally okay with spending > $100 on a rear sight if it's the right one for me but I see nothing wrong with polymer rear BUIS if money is tight.  Pick up some other rifles with different rear sights and see which one works best for you.

Next would be ammo and time at the range.  Ammo is expensive and scarce now so this is probably a perfect time to work on your long range skills.  Take your time and practice the fundamentals.

After that I would recommend a sling.  I have to admit that I've only ever owned the Magpul MS3 sling but I love it.  It's a single point that converts into a 2-point sling in an instant (with the proper attachment on the forend of the rifle.  It's low cost and works great.

I shoot IDPA competition and I've always found that putting on an aftermarket rubber type grip helped me handle the rifle a little better.  This was a great $20 investment.

Offline Chris_Carroll

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 08:53:20 PM »
Rear sight, two-point sling, white light.....

Offline Luvmy45

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 09:28:46 PM »
Do you have one of the insets for it that holds batteries or a bolt? Also I am thinking about replacing the gas block with one that has a rail, is this difficult? I don't like seeing the front sight through the red dot

It has an insert but I don't have anything in it... my range bag has all my replacement stuff, and the range bag is always with me... but that's just me.

Replacing the gas block is an easy job.

You can go crazy with mod's and attachments on an AR, whatever you do to the rifle, make sure it has a purpose and that it works for it's purpose...

Offline GodFearingMan

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 09:31:05 PM »
Definitely will check out the ms3 sling and rear sight is number one on the list.  Do you guys know if any light can be mounted using the MOE scout mount from magpul and if so some light recommendations? I don't want to spend a ton on a light but I also want something that will last.

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 11:08:12 PM »
Congratulations on your first AR. Now the next question...... got mags?

Offline GodFearingMan

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 11:23:27 PM »
Ha I got 1 windowed pmag and I'm lookin for more pmags but don't want to spend $50 each on them. It sounds like a guy at my local church has some USGI ones that I can get at a fair price. Any good places to check to get some?

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 11:49:01 PM »
Check armlist.com.  I just received two today from Midway that I backordered last month.  Paid $14 each. But they are not taking orders.  I would check your online sources on a regular basis.  Also, check your stores every day.  Shipments are going, you just gotta get lucky.  You have to work for luck.

There's a guy in Wyoming selling some at a reasonable price.  He's not near civilization.  Perhaps he can ship them if you can work out something and trust each other.

Offline GodFearingMan

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 12:36:08 AM »
Yea I have been checking armslist pretty regularly that's where I picked up my rifle but all the mags are going fast or are to far away to drive.

Offline 5.56

• Prepper
  • Born 150 years too late...
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 09:32:47 PM »
A few thoughts for you;

1. If you're new to AR's (which I'm assuming you are) spend some money and get some training. Doesn't need to be Travis Haley, but for the price of some farkles you can be in a good class.

2. Shoot the heck out of that thing before you start messing with it. I've had friends who are new to AR's who can't tell the difference (shooting) between a new Colt for $800 and my Noveske LoPro with a Gisley trigger for $2,500. Why? Because they have no experience to base their opinions on. So put a few thousand rounds thru it and then start making some changes based on your needs, not your wants.

3. What will you use it for? Home defense? It needs a light. Plinking? Range time 2-3 times annually? Your intended use will lead you in the direction that you should end up moving with that rifle.

4. Buy mags and ammo, but don't get ripped off. Here is a deal on PMAGS for less than $12 each and they're in stock.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/surplus/30-round-556mm-ar15-generation-3-p-mag-magpul-mag557-blk-special-purchase-price

Lastly, enjoy that thing!!!!

Offline Denver Terry

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 06:53:28 AM »
I would really start with a rear sight as the first purchase.  I cherish iron sights to I'm personally okay with spending > $100 on a rear sight if it's the right one for me but I see nothing wrong with polymer rear BUIS if money is tight.  Pick up some other rifles with different rear sights and see which one works best for you.

Next would be ammo and time at the range.  Ammo is expensive and scarce now so this is probably a perfect time to work on your long range skills.  Take your time and practice the fundamentals.

After that I would recommend a sling.  I have to admit that I've only ever owned the Magpul MS3 sling but I love it.  It's a single point that converts into a 2-point sling in an instant (with the proper attachment on the forend of the rifle.  It's low cost and works great.

I shoot IDPA competition and I've always found that putting on an aftermarket rubber type grip helped me handle the rifle a little better.  This was a great $20 investment.

My sentiments exactly. For ammo I recommend www.freedommunitions.com

Offline BULL-IT

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 08:07:10 AM »
After a buis (I like the KAC) just pile up mags and ammo.
There is so much you can get on an AR and a million opinions. Just get what you can as you go and do a lot of research.

For me, I like the ergo grip, B5 stock, quality buis like the KAC     sights I mentioned, magpul sling adapter and a single point sling.
If you like a two point I would look into the Ares Armor one.

Offline Denver Terry

• Prepper
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2013, 06:16:59 PM »
If you need 30 round AR mags. My buddy has a ton in stock. $10 each, aluminum, .5.56/.223 They are also AR manufacturers so have a look.  http://mcduffeearms.com/wp/?product-category=magazines

BUT, if you live in Kolorado, Kalifornia, etc he can't sell to you do to the recent B.S. mag ban here.

Offline dunflr

• alias Gunkid
  • Prepper
  • BANNED for the second time
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2013, 10:37:41 AM »
get some books from your library's interlibrary loan.  COMPLETE BOOK OF THE RIFLE, by Jim Carmicheal,    Combat Riflery, by Chuck Taylor, THE EXPERTS BOOK OF THE SHOOTING SPORTS, edited by David Petzal, will get you started. There's YouTube videos on fast work with the rifle.  Get the .22 unit from Ciener Firearms,  $200, groups 2" at  50 yds and will save you 1000's of $.  If you can find primers, powder and dies, get set up to reload  223 ammo, and start saving your fired brass (and anyone else's that you find lying around). :-)  It's dark half of the time, so consider a set of luminous iron sights, or an optic that works in the dark.

Personally, i'd never buy an upper which does not have a matching carrying handle.  I  "v-notch" the iron sights on it and mount a scope in it.  if shtf and the batteries give out for the optic, I want the luminoous irons, the QD, return to zero, "see=thru" scope mount.  Red dots don't help you see and hit game (or men) at dawn and dusk like a good scope does.

Offline Coctailer

• Senior Survivalist
  • Run with scissors!!
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2013, 07:30:11 PM »
Sling, flashlight, silencer.
In that order.

Offline TravelingMan

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2013, 03:03:34 AM »
It has already been touched on, but it can never be repeated enough  do not modify it for the sake of modifying it.  Use it.  Really use it.  Then you will begin to get an idea of what you may or may not want.  Even then you will see that some accessories will prove to be sub-optimal, but you may end up wasting a bit less of your money by not rushing in and trying to make a 5 pound rifle weight 10 pounds.

As for immediate items, I will climb on-board with everyone that has said magazines, ammo and a good sling.  A two point sling offers better retention and control that a one point, but it comes down to use.  I actually prefer a proper shooting sling, but that is me.  Also, nothing says that you cannot have both (or all three...).

Offline CR Williams

• Survivalist Mentor
    • In Shadow In Light
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 08:23:01 AM »
The basics:

Sling. Red Dot.

Optional, depending on primary role:

Light.

Required:

More magazines. More ammunition.

Notes:

Don't go less than 200.00 for the red dot. More is better in this case. EoTech, Aimpoint, Trijicon. Magnified optic is fine if you want one. Again, don't go cheap. For best results, the optic should not cost less than half the price of the rifle. I speak from bitter experience.

Offline iccustoms

• Prepper
  • Maker of Custom ARs
    • Custom ARs and Training
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2014, 05:26:07 PM »
GodFearingMan - To reiterate what some have said...  Magazines, Rear Sight, Sling, White Light.

Magazines are easy and with a little shopping you can find P-mags for about $10-11 apiece.

Rear sight is imperative.  It looks like you have a red dot on your rifle now.  The quality of this optic should reflect the quality of your BUIS.  If your red dot isn't high quality, you want/need your BUIS to be high quality. (inversely proportional)  Aimpoint/Magpul MBUS  or Off-brand/Troy or KAC.  (Personally I would stay away from ARMS, I've seen/had too many break at work, since they cheaped out on those to save money...)

Slings are simple yet important.  If you plan to do anything other than shoot cans on a dirt lot, put a sling on it.  There isn't a quality school out there that will let you come as a student without a functional sling.  From experience I would suggest a Blue Force Gear Vickers, VTAC or Magpul.  All are affordable and offer a lot of benefits over just a strap of webbing.  A good sling will last.

White Lights - Bad things happen at night.  Bad things happen in dark places during the day.  There are a number of lights out there with wildly varied prices.  There are a number of mounting solutions as well for them.  Long story short you want a light.

Round it all out with training.  And don't discredit dry fire, reload, snap caps...  But I will caution you with training, especially if you are just getting into this platform.  Learn it right the first time.  Time and money spent on credible training will pay dividends, especially on the front end, before you learn bad habits.  My wife and I, schedule permitting, will hopefully be attending this Vicker's Class, which relatively close to you and might be worth checking out.

http://vickerstactical.com/2014-vickers-tactical-class-schedule/
June 1-3, 2014 – Combined Carbine 1/Handgun 1
Okanogan, WA

Good luck on the journey and kudos on seeking your answers.  If can answer any other questions, feel free to PM me.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2014, 03:26:20 PM »
At least:

Laser sight
Thermal imaging system
1,387 position stock for optimum cheek weld
100 round drum magazine
bipod
45 degree offset RMR for backup
Bayonet lug
Rail mounted coffee grinder.

I hope it's obvious I'm joking. Rear sight and tupperware mags and you're good to get started. As others have stated, other changes will be determined by your intended use. No add-on makes up for trigger time. Practice.

Offline windchill

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2014, 07:35:46 PM »
Get the Magpul BUIS and some Pmags. I bought another 30rd Pmag for $15 today at my local Mills Fleet Farm and American Eagle 55gr. ammo was 50 cents/rd in stock. I would leave your front sight alone unless you want to spend $150+ on a new gas block and gas block height front flip sight. My setup has the flat top gas block and a YHM flip sight, Magpul BUIS, and a Vortex Strikefire red/green dot and it has a perfect 1/3 height co-witness. You might just need a different mount for your optic to make it work.

As far as light, you have the Magpul fore-end already which lends itself to many options, from adding a short rail and a standard scope ring to hold something like a Surefire G2 Nitrolon where you can reach the tailswitch, or a Streamlight TLR-1. I have used both to great success, but there are myriad options that may work better.

You now have a monthly AR budget. Welcome to the club.

nelson96

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2014, 09:01:44 AM »
American Eagle 55gr. ammo was 50 cents/rd in stock.

Ouch !. . .  I'm afraid these are the prices we are going to have to get used to.  At least until everyone gets a comfortable inventory.  Thankfully I can try and wait it out.  I purchased all mine at $300/1000.  One purchase even included a .50 cal ammo can.

Offline windchill

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2014, 07:02:56 PM »
Our federal reserve notes don't buy what they used to. I'm just thankful that it's back on the shelves right now and priced as low as what I can find it online. The .gov thinktank should adopt a newfangled caliber service rifle and let the 5.56 go the way of surplus ammo, so we can pick it up for a nickel a round.

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2014, 11:19:39 PM »
Our federal reserve notes don't buy what they used to. I'm just thankful that it's back on the shelves right now and priced as low as what I can find it online. The .gov thinktank should adopt a newfangled caliber service rifle and let the 5.56 go the way of surplus ammo, so we can pick it up for a nickel a round.

I agree.  I continue to wonder why the military has not converted to the 6.8 SPC.  From my understanding, it is about the same size, but the 6.8 packs much more energy.  But this would be another post altogether.

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2014, 12:05:58 AM »
What works for you, and your situation, may be completely different than what works for me. My AR-15 is used for multiple roles, and I think it is set up very well. The primary underlying use is defense. It leans against the wall, locked and loaded, for home defense, I use it hunting coyotes, and even deer during years when the coyote population is high and they are feeling froggy. I use it occasionally for work. I'm a deputy sheriff who is also on the SRT team as a sniper, so I am issued a sniper rifle (rem 700p), but I am also a back up entry team member. However, I am not issued an AR by my agency (yet) so I use my personal AR while deploying on the entry team, instead of my issued patrol rifle (mini-14).

When I originally purchased my AR, the old assault weapons ban was still in effect. It was a bushmaster with a2 upper receiver, fixed stock, and a 14.5 inch heavy contour barrel with a permanently attached ak-74 style muzzle break. First thing I changed was I purchased a flat top upper from rock river and switched that out. Then as soon as the ban ended, I put a collapsible stock on it. This made it for the most part like your rifle. Then I switched the front sight post for a folding front sight/ gas block made by Yankee machine and tool, and put a magpul buis rear sight, and an eotech  Holographic sight. A quad rail forearm, blackhawk pistol grip, and foregrip. A single point sling with the appropriate receiver end plate. The most recent change has been the addition of an eotech 3x magnifier in an a.r.m.s. flip to the side mount.

I have also built up a good supply of mags, both p-mags and recently produced mil-spec mags, and ammo. I feel I have plenty of mags, but not ammo.

I prefer 75gr hornady tap, and steel match for deer and coyotes, 62gr fmj for everything else, except work, where I have to use issued ammo, which is federal TRU, 55gr SP.

Offline USMC2531

• Prepper
  • Watching for signs of the inevitable collapse
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2014, 09:32:03 AM »
A few thoughts for you;

1. If you're new to AR's (which I'm assuming you are) spend some money and get some training. Doesn't need to be Travis Haley, but for the price of some farkles you can be in a good class.

2. Shoot the heck out of that thing before you start messing with it. I've had friends who are new to AR's who can't tell the difference (shooting) between a new Colt for $800 and my Noveske LoPro with a Gisley trigger for $2,500. Why? Because they have no experience to base their opinions on. So put a few thousand rounds thru it and then start making some changes based on your needs, not your wants.

3. What will you use it for? Home defense? It needs a light. Plinking? Range time 2-3 times annually? Your intended use will lead you in the direction that you should end up moving with that rifle.

4. Buy mags and ammo, but don't get ripped off. Here is a deal on PMAGS for less than $12 each and they're in stock.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/surplus/30-round-556mm-ar15-generation-3-p-mag-magpul-mag557-blk-special-purchase-price

Lastly, enjoy that thing!!!!

^^^^^This

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2014, 09:45:22 AM »
The OP is over a year old. Wonder what he decided.