Author Topic: Quinoa recipes  (Read 14984 times)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
Quinoa recipes
« on: October 01, 2009, 10:24:45 AM »
Quinoa ("KEEN-wa") is a grain originally from the Andes noted for being high in good-quality protein.  A few years ago you'd need to search at health food stores to find it, but nowadays it's pretty common.  Our local Costco sells a nice 4 lb sealed bag with a 11/2-year shelf life for $10.  (I suspect the real shelf-life is much longer -- we just cooked some last night that's been sitting around unsealed for a couple of years, and it tasted fine.)

Quinoa and Cheese

This recipe contains enough cheese and egg to provide your minimum daily requirements of cholesterol and fat, as well as protein.  ;)

These quantities will make enough for a modest-sized dinner for two, or side-dishes for four:

2/3 cup quinoa (preferably the almost-white variety, not brown)
11/3 cups water
11/3 cups shredded cheese (see below)
1 egg

Dump the quinoa in a pot or a big strainer, and rinse it thoroughly with water.  This is important, since it removes most of the bitter-tasting saponins from the grain.  Drain off the rinse water, add the measured 11/3 cups of water, heat to a boil, and simmer on low heat, covered, until all the water is absorbed (about 30 minutes).

The cheese must be a type that melts well without separating.  I usually use a mixture of about 20% Reggiano Parmesan and 80% Tillamook Vintage White Cheddar.  (If you can't get Tillamook, try a New York or Vermont white cheddar.  I take no responsibility if you choose to try this with Velveeta!)  Shred it with a coarse cheese grater.

Beat the egg a little with a fork.

When the quinoa is done, dump in the shredded cheese and stir over medium-low heat until it all melts and mixes together.

Add the egg, and stir continously over medium-low heat for about a minute until everything is mixed and the egg is just beginning to thicken.  The result should be the consistency of thick oatmeal.  Serve at once.

(This is savory and cheesy but a bit bland by itself.  Last night I had a spare hot dog in the fridge, so I sliced it up, microwaved it, and used it as a topping.  Yum!  Next time I'll try crumbled bacon, or shrimp sauteed with a little garlic.)

Offline Greatswampa

• Prepper
Re: Quinoa recipes
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 11:07:20 AM »
Mr. Bill,
Thanks for the quinoa recipe.
 I love quinoa, i boil it up in the morning and throw in raisins,apples, bananas walnuts etc... and have it for breakfast.
Greatswampa :)

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
Quinoa Recipes
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 05:28:23 PM »
Is anyone cooking with Quinoa?  I've found only a handful of recipes on TSP using it...

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: Quinoa Recipes
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 06:23:11 PM »
I have cooked Quinoa for years. One of the foods I take camping with me for the ease of cooking as well. I store about 20+ pounds all the time of it.

Cedar

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 06:25:14 PM »
I have cooked Quinoa for years. One of the foods I take camping with me for the ease of cooking as well. I store about 20+ pounds all the time of it.

Cedar
:o ::) :o

Ok - Serious Facepalm..

I'm looking for some good recipes - Care to share?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 06:31:31 PM »
I have a few on here somewhere, but this is my quickie-standby...

Quinoa Pilaf
2 cups water
1 cup quinoa
1/2 onion chopped (I use dry onion often)
grated or dried carrot (about a small handful for me)
1 TB chicken boullion
Dried Chanterelle mushrooms (but you can use any mushroom or other veggie or leave out)

Bring to  boil, cover, reduce heat and cook 15-20 mins. Fluff with a fork, sometimes I put in a bit of butter.

Cedar

PS I had this NASTY cold quinoa/strawberry salad thing once at a potluck. Even the owner of it determined it was nasty.

PSS Quinoa has a 'timer' on it.. there is a 'tail' which pops out when it is done

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 09:07:06 PM »
Merged with an old thread -- see top for my high-fat recipe. :)

Offline nimzy88

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 11:27:47 PM »
I have a rice cooker and just cook it in there with a little chicken stock mixed in the water

Offline sdcharger

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 01:15:36 AM »
Seriously just substitute it for rice in most of your rice dishes it will work great.  I used leftover quinoa to make a simple fried rice type dish the next day.  Or use it instead of couscous with any type of Moroccan food.

One of my favorite sides, I like to cook the quinoa in some broth or stock then mix it with chopped seasonal roasted vegetables and serve it as a side dish.  The leftovers are great the next morning mixed into and omlete or frittata.

The other family favorite for quinoa is to cook it in broth and chill it.  Then use it in cold salads like you would use bulger wheat.  So my typical salad would be chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, quinoa, bell pepper, stuff like that.  Add your fresh chopped herbs of choice and salt and pepper.  Some like to dress it with oil and vinegar or italian dressing but some just eat it plain.

I even made a Avgolemono type soup.  That's the greek soup with chicken, lemon, and rice.  Just substitute the quinoa for the rice and you are in business.

It has really become a staple food in my kitchen we use it once or twice per week.

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 03:21:12 AM »
Is anyone cooking with Quinoa?  I've found only a handful of recipes on TSP using it...

I began using it in recipes a few years ago when my dad went on a very restrictive diet, low carb and no sodium.  Basically, it can be used in place of rice in most dishes and soups.  Quinoa is a high protein grain and a slow release carb, ideal for diabetic issues.

Quinoa also sprouts easily and quickly.  While not large sprouts, they are more nutritious when sprouted.  I have had them sprout after adding them in a slow simmer soup!  It's great to see a grain sold in stores that is truly raw, non-irradiated, non-steam pasteurized.  You could literally plant those Costco seeds and watch them grow!

~TG

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 04:22:55 AM »
I use it as a pasta or rice substitute. I often just boil it in water as per package directions, add cayenne, garlic powder (not garlic salt), black pepper, sea salt, touch of olive oil and serve with a meat and a hot veg (brocolli and asparagus seem to be my fave with this).

I haven't eaten it in a long time.

Does anyone know if it is considered Paleo?

Offline nimzy88

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 04:54:07 AM »
Was looking on Backpacker magazines site and found this recipe for quinoa taco salad

INGREDIENTS
1 cup quinoa
1?2 red onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 15-ounce can black beans, drained
1 tomato, diced
1 cup instant brown rice
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 cup cheddar cheese, sliced or grated
1 avocado, diced (optional)
Salt and pepper

AT HOME
Rinse quinoa well and air dry thoroughly, then pack in a zip-top bag. Combine onion, peppers, and garlic in a second zip-top bag and combine beans and tomatoes in a third.

IN CAMP
Bring 2 1?2 cups of water to a boil and stir in quinoa and rice. Return to boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer for five to 10 minutes, until water is absorbed. Set aside. Saute the onion, pepper, and garlic in oil until onions are soft. Stir in beans, tomato, and the quinoa and rice mixture. Divide into bowls and top with cheese, avocado, and salt and pepper to taste.

Prep time 3 min
Cook time 10 min
Price $2.36
Weight 7.4 oz.
Serves 4
Calories 455
Fat 18 g
Carbs 54 g
Protein 21 g

Not really sure the point of brown rice and quinoa but may have to try it on the trail sometime

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 07:51:41 AM »
Merged with an old thread -- see top for my high-fat recipe. :)

*Facepalms*

Thanks Bill.

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 08:49:26 AM »
Does anyone know if it is considered Paleo?

This sounds like a "Question for Jack!"

By definition, Quinoa is a seed grain.  That should limit it's "paleobility."  it's prolly one of the best-for-you grains, but it is still a carb-laden grain. 

But if a person would sprout it first...  That changes it's nutrition somewhat, it would be more of a veggie with vitamins.

~TG

Offline sdcharger

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 02:41:48 PM »
Ok well technically speaking quinoa is not a grain as it is not from the grass family.

Most of the quinoa we buy has had the saponins (natural bitterness) pre washed off.  Does this not affect the ability to sprout?  Sorry I don't know much about sprouting.

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2012, 08:17:34 PM »
Ok well technically speaking quinoa is not a grain as it is not from the grass family.

Most of the quinoa we buy has had the saponins (natural bitterness) pre washed off.  Does this not affect the ability to sprout?  Sorry I don't know much about sprouting.

From here: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?dbid=142&tname=foodspice
Although not a common item in most kitchens today, quinoa is an amino acid-rich (protein) seed that has a fluffy, creamy, slightly crunchy texture and a somewhat nutty flavor when cooked. Quinoa is available in your local health food stores throughout the year.

Most commonly considered a grain, quinoa is actually a relative of leafy green vegetables like spinach and Swiss chard. It is a recently rediscovered ancient "grain" once considered "the gold of the Incas."

So I guess the question becomes 'is a seed Paleo food?'

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 08:21:32 AM »

Nope.  Bunch spilled on the kitchen floor which had a bunch of work boots across it half the day and I swept it up and tossed it out onto the garden which was under snow at the time. In the spring I had this HOT PINK weed coming up all over in one end of the garden I was ripping out by the handfuls, until I realized it had to have been the quinoa. I let the remaining few plants grow to see what it would do. I moved to my 40 acre farm from that place before it went to harvest and the couple other times I planted it, issues happened to prevent harvest. My extra space this year is being taken up by heirloom wheat, but maybe I can squeeze in a bit when my garden is done planting.

Cedar

Offline sdcharger

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2012, 12:47:55 PM »
That is pretty funny Cedar, rouge garden plants from spilled quinoa seed.  I guess the saponins just discourage animals from eating the seed.  When I grew Amaranth, I couldn't understand why the doves and quail weren't going crazy for the seed but it must have been saponins.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2012, 10:30:36 AM »
...rouge garden plants from spilled quinoa seed. ...

She said they were hot pink.  Rouge is a darker shade of red.  Pay attention.

;)

Offline not important

• Prepper
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2012, 10:42:19 AM »
Even MORE recipes for me to try.  Thanks guys! 

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2012, 10:20:19 AM »
So - Digging around the net today since no one is in the office it seems BUT me, I found this.  Looks like I have a project for the weekend.

Breakfast Cookie: Oatmeal and Quinoa

Offline Burton

• Survivalist Mentor
  • NOVA Prepper
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2012, 04:56:09 PM »
I eat a lot of quinoa as it is one of the few plants which is a 'complete' protein (I really hate that term being a dietary vegan and all ...)

I actually prefer the red quinoa when I can find it, it seems to have more of a robust flavor than the white which seems more bitter if you don't rinse it.

Typically when I eat quinoa it is to replace something else in my recipe, like rice / oats / beans / lentils etc ... I have even ground it up to a flower and used it in my breads. Once you start using it as a substitute then you have a ton of recipes you can use with this wonder pseudo grain.

Examples of how I might and have used it.

Often I make 'adult' oatmeal as follows:
-1 Tbsp Brewers Yeast
-1 tspn tamari (non yeast based)
-Fresh cut and lightly stir fried veggies, often at minimal garlic and spring onions ( Use several of differing color and texture if you can, 3 is optimal ) [also use coconut oil to fry it is healthier as it can be used like a carbohydrate in the liver before storage]
-1/4 cup sesame seed (need some fat)
1 cup oats ... but as mentioned above this will work with a quinoa substitute
If you cant stirfry the veggies cut them up fine and place them into the bowl with the coconut oil and let it sit for 4 minutes in very very hot water (if using oats) and the oil will impart the flavor well.

If you are going to make a classic stirfry I would suggest the following procedures.
First, if using rice, get your rice so it is 'dry' by cooked. The best way I found to do this is to simply use day old rice.
Stir fry all your veggies cut about the same size in coconut oil first, then add seasoning half way through cooking.
At the very end you add the rice and stir it only enough to get the flavor / seasoning on the even on the rice.
If using quinoa DO NOT ADD IT TO THE WOK! Add it in a separate dish it will stick to wok if you dont head this warning. You can use half quinoa and rice if you like too.

Another idea in how to use quinoa, stealthy style. Cook your quinoa and set aside then prepare a lentil based soup. I prefer to cook my lentil with only water only adding seasoning and vegetables after they have taken on the consistency I desire. In this case I would suggest the following lentil soup mix / base.

Stirfry lightly two cloves garlic, half a scallion (or more if you like it), and some light salt.
In a blender combine the cooked unseasoned lentils and this mix and blend till a creamy texture, salt to taste (or use tamari).
Stirfry in the same pan the remaining veggies, in this case I suggest 5 different types minimal.

There are two ways to proceed from here. One is to simply mix in the quinoa whole when combining the lentils and veggies, the other is to blend them into the lentils as well. I suggest the latter if you have people who might not like quinoa simply because it is new.
I will often serve the quinoa on the side with rice taking up 1/4 of the serving plate then add the lentil mix to the right.

I have mentioned stirfry a lot here but I should note this is only a 'base' when I cook. I will often add varying seasonings to bring out different flavors. And often, if cooking veggies with strong flavors, I will not use any seasoning. You can easily turn oil + veggies into anything you want by adding spices. It can come out tasting like good Indian, thai, japanese, chinese, or korean so long as you know the basic sauces / spices used in each.

Never be afraid to experiment, I wouldn't be joking when I say 50% of what I cook during a week I have never made before. There is only one way to find new flavors so don't be shy!

Offline David222

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2012, 11:47:44 PM »
Quinoa is very healthy and nutritional, it contains high protein and is a good meat alternative for vegetarians. I like them in cooked and boiled form. Cooking quinoa and chicken together has really good taste, and also it become very nutritional.

nelson96

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2014, 07:32:15 PM »
Well, I bought 4 lbs. of Quinoa at Costco today for $17 and now I've found that I can't eat the stuff (cause it's bitter).  Can someone offer suggestions on how to cook it in a way that hides the bitter taste?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2014, 07:37:43 PM »
Well, I bought 4 lbs. of Quinoa at Costco today for $17 and now I've found that I can't eat the stuff (cause it's bitter).  Can someone offer suggestions on how to cook it in a way that hides the bitter taste?

Good price on it.. it has come down a bit, but I miss the $9 days. I will show you how to cook it when you are here this weekend.

Cedar

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2014, 07:38:06 PM »

Rinsing it before cooking allegedly removes some of the bitterness.  But the bitterness is the main reason I generally bury it in cheese (see my post at the top of this thread).

nelson96

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2014, 07:42:38 PM »
Rinsing it before cooking allegedly removes some of the bitterness.  But the bitterness is the main reason I generally bury it in cheese (see my post at the top of this thread).

Thanks, I'll try that.

Good price on it.. it has come down a bit, but I miss the $9 days. I will show you how to cook it when you are here this weekend.

$17 is a lot of money, if it was for something your ready to throw to the chickens.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2014, 08:23:50 PM »
$17 is a lot of money, if it was for something your ready to throw to the chickens.

Bob had the same opinion of quinoa, until I cooked it for him. Previously he thought wet cardboard might be better. But after I made him some he liked it.

It was up to $22 there for a bit. Quinoa is getting to be a sad story actually.

Cedar

nelson96

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2014, 08:54:17 PM »
My Grandma read in the newspaper that someone is getting ready to grow it here in the Willamette Valley.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2014, 09:08:09 PM »
There are at least three guys who are growing Quinoa in the valley, one of them has developed his own line of varieties. https://www.wildgardenseed.com/index.php?cPath=50&osCsid=8dee84ed936807aa46d4d933d335bc64 I have met Frank a few times. Everyone raves about his "Cherry Vanilla" quinoa.

Cedar