Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Pistols and Handguns

Kimber makes a revolver?

<< < (8/9) > >>

David in MN:

--- Quote from: Chemsoldier on September 29, 2017, 07:37:41 AM ---I agree a steel gun and proper grips does mitigate recoil, however, what is the increase in efficacy for high velocity .357 diameter bullets?  If the increase in performance is marginal, is it worth a +X% increase in recoil, flash, etc. even if the steel makes it "not that bad?"

--- End quote ---

Depends on the objective. If you're trying to shoot an aggressor probably not. If your goal is to blind and deafen everyone in the room...

Chemsoldier:

--- Quote from: David in MN on September 30, 2017, 01:47:13 PM ---Depends on the objective. If you're trying to shoot an aggressor probably not. If your goal is to blind and deafen everyone in the room...

--- End quote ---

:spit:

When they figured out how to make 147 grain 9mm JHPs open up at subsonic velocities, the cat was out of the bag.

machinisttx:
I don't know of a single 9mm bullet that generates the same sort of secondary wound channels as a 125 grain semi jacketed hollowpoint from a .357 mag, which is the load that got the .357 it's reputation.

Which 147 grain 9mm bullet are you referring to? It's been a while since I looked, but as far as I know, there weren't any that expanded reliably from standard service size guns. They would be even less reliable from a compact or subcompact pistol.

I'm still kicking myself for not buying the only 3" M13 I ever saw. It's ok I guess, I have a 2.5" M66.  ;D

Chemsoldier:

--- Quote from: machinisttx on September 30, 2017, 07:17:06 PM ---I don't know of a single 9mm bullet that generates the same sort of secondary wound channels as a 125 grain semi jacketed hollowpoint from a .357 mag, which is the load that got the .357 it's reputation.

Which 147 grain 9mm bullet are you referring to? It's been a while since I looked, but as far as I know, there weren't any that expanded reliably from standard service size guns. They would be even less reliable from a compact or subcompact pistol.

I'm still kicking myself for not buying the only 3" M13 I ever saw. It's ok I guess, I have a 2.5" M66.  ;D

--- End quote ---
Gen 1 Gold Dots.

I personally would not do 147s, i agree that there is still more margin for error in expansion than i would like but the point is that irs a whole different ball game from the old days of effectively shooting a solid.  I am not seeing a lot of margin between 125 .357 and say 127 grain 9mm+p+ or Speer 124 grain +p.

David in MN:
As is often said about modern ammunition, the only people who will know the difference are you and the coroner.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version