Author Topic: Kratky Containers  (Read 1348 times)

Offline flynnguy

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Kratky Containers
« on: April 08, 2020, 12:28:01 PM »
I'm surprised there isn't more Kratky discussions on here but I found what I think is an ingenious container for herbs and small plants. Soda/Beer cans, especially the new 19.2oz ones. Using a regular can opener, you can remove the top (without leaving any jagged edges) and it fits a 2" net cup perfectly.

I'm just getting started with hydro/kratky but I think these will work well, the only real downside is they are light and might tip over easily. However, you could put them in a 6 pack holder which would probably help. I dunno, I'm gonna give it a shot.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
Re: Kratky Containers
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 08:33:41 AM »
Kratky. Something I'm not familiar with.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 10:31:39 AM »
I think it is something Jack Spirko is talking about on the podcast... he also put out a YT vid on making the Kratky containers... it is apparently a hydroponics system. Here is his intro podcast about it: http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/kratky-hydroponics-intro

Offline goldbugger

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 07:03:31 AM »
So I have been studying Jack's setup and Kratky. I assume Jack is using the large containers so that there is less work than maintaining individual cans? The added circulation system to help make it more hands-free? Really touch to find large plastic containers with low profile, at least online at the moment.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 07:54:10 AM »
Just looking at all the pump, containers, pvc pipes, etc.... I'm thinking those are going to be some very expensive tomatoes... just sayin'

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 08:14:39 AM »
I think it is something Jack Spirko is talking about on the podcast... he also put out a YT vid on making the Kratky containers... it is apparently a hydroponics system. Here is his intro podcast about it: http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/kratky-hydroponics-intro

Ah. Son has a hydroponics system (fish tank) he's been working on. Lost interest I think.

So I have been studying Jack's setup and Kratky. I assume Jack is using the large containers so that there is less work than maintaining individual cans? The added circulation system to help make it more hands-free? Really touch to find large plastic containers with low profile, at least online at the moment.

Just a thought, check with O'reilly Auto Parts.
Black plastic oil drain pans, about 16" diameter and 4" tall. $5.00 each?

Then they used to run a special value sale. Drain pan with hand cleaner and some wipes, all for that $5.00

Offline goldbugger

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 05:05:05 AM »
Good idea on the oil pans. That would work for seed starting. For growing mature plants I understand you need 5"-7" or more of depth.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2020, 09:40:56 AM »

More depth.........lets see.

Ranchers buy those lick tubs full of molasses/mineral at farm & home supply stores.

If you could find a buyer that buys those then talk them out of the tubs.
20? across and about that depth.

Offline ahains

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2020, 08:54:47 AM »
My local Cash&Carry has "bus tubs" for bussing dishes, and these are popular online for kratky. They're about $9 for a tub and lid. I'm avoiding going out in public these days, so I ended up ordering some that look the same from burkett com (from them from their listings on ebay and then ordered direct). The tub I got is part BURK-131543, and the lid is part BURK-131146. They were also $9 per tub/lid, but cost me another $15 shipping to get 6 sets. Took them 5 days to ship, so not lightning fast but not terrible. Supposed to arrive tomorrow so I'm looking forward to working on it, and I called them first to confirm this lid fits this tub.