Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > General Firearm Discussion

Gun purchase before election

(1/7) > >>

GlenM:
Is there anyone out there buying guns before the election just in case the new President decides to change the current gun laws?  If so what's on your list to purchase?  I'm leaning toward buying a couple of AR lowers.  I know the price has been creeping up on those.  They may prove to be a good investment in the future.

ColdHaven:
I would love to own an AR-15 however it is out of my price range. I have been buying guns though. More of that has to do with the ability to aquire food, but it also has its purpose for self defense. I have been buying ammo too. I wanted to make sure I had one of each from: a pistol, rifle, carbine, and a shotgun. I am not sure what will happen after this election, but either way, I think I will need them.

Patriot:Ex Machina:
At the last several gun shows, I have noticed a lot more purchases. Even with the economy being in the crapper, guns and ammo sales haven't declined. On the contrary, everyone I've talke to who is in the business says that their sales are through the roof.
At least around here.
I've bought quite a bit of ammo lately, moe than usual.
Not only due to the upcoming elections, but also due to some embargos that are coming down the pipe.
I  will post a bit of info on this in a seperate thread.
If I had more cash, I would stock up not only on more guns, but ammo and hi-cap mags. That will also be a target for the gun-grabber administration that is almost upon us.

wbo3:

--- Quote from: ColdHaven on October 26, 2008, 09:29:44 PM ---I would love to own an AR-15 however it is out of my price range...

--- End quote ---

They do not have to be expensive.  Buy a kit from Model 1 or Del-Ton.  I am not a big fan of the model 1 LPK, and I have no experience with the Del-ton other than I had a pistol instructor who swore by them.  It is entirely possible to build a rifle, including a locally purchased lower, for under $600.  You can also do what I did for my last build and get the parts as the funds allow.  I wanted more than a basic gun, but could not afford to run out and purchase all the parts at once, so I staged it.  I bought a stripped lower, then the LPK. Receiver extension tube and buttstock.  Barreled upper.  BCG. Free-float rail. Sights.  My single most expensive purchase was the barreled upper, and it was less than $500.  I could have gotten a cheaper one under $300, but I was hell-bent on using LMT parts for my upper, the BCG and sights are LMT as well, I used a YHM free-float rail.  The last rifle I built using a Madel 1 kit had a total cost of under $600.  Like I said, I did not particularly care for their LPK, but the upper, which is the most important part of the kit, seemed fine.  I may consider them one day if I am just going to build a basic rifle...I do still have a stripped lower in the safe...I may need to think about it.

millerized1:

--- Quote from: GlenM on October 26, 2008, 08:47:58 PM --- I'm leaning toward buying a couple of AR lowers.  I know the price has been creeping up on those.  They may prove to be a good investment in the future.
--- End quote ---
Maybe, but higher capacity magazines will increase in value more.
Lowers, while still inexpensive, do not wear out near as fast as magazines.  Magazines are, more or less, disposable.
Right now, lowers can be had from about $79 and up. http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Receivers.html
Magazines from about $9.http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/C_Products_AR15_30rd_.223_mag.html
Me, personally, I'm thinking it'll be easier for them to tax the living $h!t out of ammunition and components than do an all out ban again.  That's where I'm putting my money.

But, regardless of which, buy stuff that will hedge inflation and bans, even if the concept seems "out there".  Weirder stuff has happened, and even weirder stuff wil.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version