Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Homesteading and Self Reliant Living

Hobbies, a prepper/homesteader perspective

(1/5) > >>

IKN:
What hobbies do you have that you have found to benefit your preparations ?

For instance, I have two that I'm finding invaluable.
The first is my small, hobby metal working shop. Having the ability to design and make items that are expensive or unavailable to order/buy.
While it's a fairly expensive hobby to get into, it can and does have the ability to create an income stream doing work for others or making and selling items.
I've also made sure my equipment is able to be powered from a small generator if it becomes necessary.

The other is Open Source Electronics. Platforms such as Arduino, TI MSP Launchpad, and Raspberry Pi along with the multitude of electronic sensors, motion control devices, and many others components allow for the possibility of custom controls, monitoring, or other needs.
Not growing up with computers, I'm still trying to learn code writing, but this has many possible advantages much like my metalworking hobby.

Hunting, fishing, and gardening are 3 other hobbies that come to mind for obvious reasons, but I found myself wondering what other hobbies people had that benefitted their prepper/homesteading life-style ?

fritz_monroe:
Funny, I was going to start a similar thread.

I'm also a fan of electronics.  I have a couple Arduinos, but haven't have the time to play around with them.  But I do make various projects out of Raspberry Pi computers.

Along with this, I just got a 3D printer.  I know that most people make a bunch of decorative junk.  I stick to useful stuff.  I've printed a many cases for various electronics projects.  A bench power supply case that I haven't built yet, but uses an ATx power supply.  Multiple different sized boxes to make Harbor Freight storage boxes more useful for my uses.  A replacement handle for a spatula we use often.  Multiple little bits and pieces to use in the camper.  Lots of parts to make the 3D printer more user friendly and efficient.

So far, the most useful has been a power supply that uses my Ryobi batteries to supply 5V USB or up to 18V via banana plug.

I have yet to get into designing via CAD, but it's just a matter of time before I do that.

IKN:
I haven't ventured into 3D printing yet. It seems like something I should try eventually for making custom project boxes or other parts.
I'd be interested to hear what type of printer you have and your thoughts on it or others you're familiar with.

I occasionally use the free 2D CAD program from eMachineshop (https://www.emachineshop.com/).
While it's only a simple 2D program, there are a ton of YouTube videos and Tutorials for it. It has a lot of the functionality of 3D programs which would transfer over and did I mention "It's FREE" ! LOL

fritz_monroe:

--- Quote from: IKN on February 15, 2020, 05:37:03 PM ---I haven't ventured into 3D printing yet. It seems like something I should try eventually for making custom project boxes or other parts.
I'd be interested to hear what type of printer you have and your thoughts on it or others you're familiar with.

--- End quote ---
I have a Creality Ender 3 Pro.  I decided to go with for a couple of reasons.  First, it's inexpensive.  The Ender 3 is likely the best selling 3D printer.  I chose the Pro over the standard is the bottom rail is much bigger, so it's stronger and the Pro has a magnetic print bed.  But the vast majority of parts for the Ender 3 also fits the Pro.

I really don't know much about any others.  I just got this in December.  By numbers, I have printed many more parts for the 3D printer than I've printed for all other purposes combined.

Carver:
Just to turn it around a bit, how can some hobbies be preparedness related? I'm a fan of watching "Tracks Ahead" about model railroading and restoration of trains. How could that connect with preparedness? I'm not a doer, only a watcher but these people are really, really into it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version