Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Home And Business Security

Data Backup Strategies

<< < (2/9) > >>

FreeLancer:

--- Quote from: jerseyboy on August 02, 2015, 01:49:11 PM ---Also, RAID, even a 3-way mirror, is not considered a backup.  Which I know you know, but just for others' reading pleasure.

--- End quote ---

I have a vague idea of why this is the case, but can you explain why? 

Carl:

--- Quote from: FreeLancer on August 02, 2015, 02:13:30 PM ---I have a vague idea of why this is the case, but can you explain why?

--- End quote ---

TRUE backup (in my opinion) has to not be tied to power,or PC ,or on site .
To avoid POWER SURGE,LIGHTENING,FIRE,and VIRUS along
with all of the things that can cause local data loss or theft.

artephius:

--- Quote from: Carl on August 02, 2015, 02:24:59 PM ---TRUE backup (in my opinion) has to not be tied to power,or PC ,or on site .
To avoid POWER SURGE,LIGHTENING,FIRE,and VIRUS along
with all of the things that can cause local data loss or theft.

--- End quote ---

I'd agree with this, and add that RAID (1) also suffers from the same problem as my current setup... no incremental/historical backups. ie, it'd be nice to be able to go back in the 'history' of your backups to say a month ago when you had a file you've since ruined or deleted... much like version control for software development. I need to do some research but I'm fairly certain such solutions exist.

artephius:
rdiff-backup looks like a good free solution. I've never used it so I can't vouch for how well it works, but it sounds pretty good.

Perhaps a good setup would be a local RAID 1 with two or three drives, used to store the incremental backups created by rdiff-backup. The RAID 1 would provide protection against any one drive failing, and rdiff-backup would provide the "time-machine" style backups.

I do also like the idea of read performance increases with the raid array so it may even be worth taking it a step further and setting up 2 local RAID arrays, one for the primary system, and the second for the backup, which would add even more redundant protection against hard drive failure... (Yeah, I've killed a lot of hard drives in the past.. I don't trust them at all  >:() and give read performance a little boost on the primary system.

A second server/nas at your BOL (if you are fortunate enough to have one) or somewhere else off-site could also have a RAID 1 that stores a second copy of the rdiff-backup snapshots -- changed files/diffs could be transmitted securely to the BOL over the internet via ssh.

A third (or forth, or more) backup location could be usb drives kept in different locations. Each created and updated as often as you see fit, again using rdiff-backup for the incremental snapshots.

I can't imagine how you could possibly lose anything with a setup like that.

Carl:

--- Quote from: artephius on August 02, 2015, 02:36:22 PM ---I'd agree with this, and add that RAID (1) also suffers from the same problem as my current setup... no incremental/historical backups. ie, it'd be nice to be able to go back in the 'history' of your backups to say a month ago when you had a file you've since ruined or deleted... much like version control for software development. I need to do some research but I'm fairly certain such solutions exist.

--- End quote ---

I run reliable old school Windows XP as the few problems I ever had came from MicroSoft Update . SYSTEM RESTORE is handy ...
But an old program called CASPER does either FULL BOOTABLE DRIVE COPY or INCREMENTAL file copy...BUT if you get digital
virus or malware....you wind up copying that too...so a full scan BEFORE incremental ,or full,backup is needed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version