Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Firearms Training

Should I attend Appleseed Practice

<< < (3/3)

Gulo gulo:
Don't let the "get ready before" talk dissuade you. Get as ready as you know you can get then head out. We instructors are well versed in IAO (improvise, adapt, and overcome). It's a class, not a competition.

A note about volunteers vs. instructors. Vs whatsits: you have the orange hat Instructor In Training(IIT). He's the guy who is going through the levels for his instructor certification. Requirements to become an IIT are to attend at least two events and score Rifleman on the AQT (I took three events to do it, which is average, I know others who did five or more before they scored. Don't give up!). Once he completes the IIT progression, he's a red hat Instructor. He can continue on to the training for green hat Shoot Boss , who runs the show, or he can remain a red hat. One final classification I will mention is the Blue Hat Volunteer. This is an individual who has not (yet;) scored Rifleman but wishes to help the program anyway (tell history, run admin, maybe they're not old enough yet for the orange hat (13)).

Come out, have fun, learn history and marksmanship!

scoob:

--- Quote from: Roamer on December 03, 2014, 08:23:00 PM ---"A practice Appleseed event is just us volunteering to teach marksmanship on our "free" weekends.  We'll do what we can although it would be better if you have the full grounding in an Appleseed weekend.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Gulo gulo on December 04, 2014, 01:48:26 AM ---Don't let the "get ready before" talk dissuade you. Get as ready as you know you can get then head out. We instructors are well versed in IAO (improvise, adapt, and overcome). It's a class, not a competition.

--- End quote ---

That about sums it up.  A typical Appleseed weekend has often been described as "drinking from a fire hose". 

Two days is not a lot of time to learn, assimilate, practice, and polish all of the new skills that are taught.  Problem is that we have to present the whole package, as the fundamentals all work together.  This results in moving on to the next skill or drill before you've had time to absorb the last one or three.  Most people will need more than one Appleseed shoot to really get it. 

The practice weekend is a great opportunity to get that low-pressure time on the range to focus on that one element or two that you didn't get enough time on during the regular shoot.  But, as stated above, you should at least be presented the full set of fundamentals first.  Not a requirement, but ideal.  Depending on the turnout, you may be able to get a lot more one-on-one time with the instructors.

Thanks for your questions Roamer!  If you wouldn't mind, send me a PM (if you don't want the info public) and let me know where your range is.  It's fun and educational to network across communities and get feedback from different perspectives.  We get a significant number of TSPers at our events and a lot of good feedback from this community.

Fyrediver:
Go, enjoy, have an open attitude, learn, and then see what you want to change.  The sling is the most important thing you're missing, but that said, you can still learn a lot without it!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version