Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Firearms Training

Should I attend Appleseed Practice

(1/3) > >>

Roamer:
  There is an Appleseed Practice at the range the weekend. I have always wanted to attend an actual Appleseed 2 day event but was hesitant due to my rifle setup.

I have an AR that put I together myself. It has a DPMS AR-15 Oracle A3 Flat-Top Upper. It has a Burris Fastfire III With flat top mount only for a sight.

From reading about Appleseed the AR in 223 is not ideal for this training. I also believe that I need BUISs and a sling
for this rifle. After much research I have found the selection of BUIS for me to be limited. This is due to the front sight having to be mounted on the gas block. Also there really is no front mounting point for a sling. My correction for that would be to replace the hand guard or the gas block. The gas block only has a picatinny rail on the top of the gas block.

My idea was to attend the Practice to get some advice from some knowledgeable folks there about setting up this
rifle. But I wanted to get some ideas from you knowledgeable folk here on the forum first.

Virginian:
Get in touch with the local coordinator, the few times I have been to an Appleseed there were loaner .22’s available,
you just need to let them know in advance and bring your own ammo.

Chemsoldier:
A person can attend an Appleseed with any rifle that is not a severe distraction from instruction (a .50 BMG for instance).  That being said, certain features are desirable and will enhance your learning experience.

As Virginian said, contact a local Appleseed member and they can likely help you get a loaner rifle.  Your rifle could be used on day 2 of a shoot if they have a full distance portion.  While they prefer people use rifles with slings and iron sights ultimately you run what you brung and they would rather have you at the shoot than not. 

To be honest, the proliferation of relatively cheap and robust sighting systems using glass has made the preference for iron sights somewhat obsolete.  *cue depth charges in 5-4-3...*

d3nni5:
Go to the practice, it can't hurt.   You can use scopes in Appleseed (at least I did) just be sure you are sighted in before you get there.  You'll have a chance to tweak, but you need to be close to on target at the start.

I would say though, by the time you are done with a practice and an actual Appleseed event, your ammo costs will be ranging right up there with a decent used (or new even) .22LR.   Just some food for thought.

During my Appleseed, someone used an old M1 Garand.   He was a multiple event attender, and actually was getting ready to start wearing the orange hats (volunteer?).

Agree also with the others, those shoot bosses are great, and most of them will have loaner rifles for backups.   

scoob:

--- Quote from: Roamer on December 03, 2014, 06:35:39 AM ---  There is an Appleseed Practice at the range the weekend. I have always wanted to attend an actual Appleseed 2 day event but was hesitant due to my rifle setup.
--- End quote ---

A practice?  I'm curious how that one is set up.  Typically, we do 2-day events, but different locales have tried doing primers or informal range days, but usually after an event to do some fine-tuning, having had some time to absorb the instruction.

Run what you brung.  As stated above, there are ideal rifle setups for an Appleseed event, but we'd rather have you there than not.  We volunteer to do something that we could get paid to do.  Go and find out why.  Hint: It has something to do with Life, Liberty, and Sacred Honor  ;)

--- Quote ---I have an AR that put I together myself. It has a DPMS AR-15 Oracle A3 Flat-Top Upper. It has a Burris Fastfire III With flat top mount only for a sight.
--- End quote ---

Perfect.  Don't let anyone tell you that you have to start with iron sights.  You'll learn to shoot with your sighting system on your rifle.  Or, if it inhibits you from receiving the instruction, an instructor probably has a loaner available.  Loaners are usually 10/22s, so bring some .22LR ammo just in case.  You probably won't need it though.

--- Quote ---From reading about Appleseed the AR in 223 is not ideal for this training.
--- End quote ---

The only thing I find to be the limiting factor for bringing an AR to an Appleseed:  Price of ammo.  You'll probably be shooting 350-500 rounds.

A regular Appleseed event is shot at 25 meters.  This allows us to get as much instruction and trigger time as possible to the students without the time lost hiking to and from targets.  The fundamentals of marksmanship apply at close distance with a rimfire the same way they do at full distance.  Distance just adds ballistics to the equation.  So, a 25 meter Appleseed event is geared toward rimfire and has the advantage of cheaper ammo.  In today's climate, using a centerfire rifle at 25 meters takes advange of available ammo.  I'm sure I need not say any more on that.

--- Quote ---I also believe that I need BUISs and a sling for this rifle. After much research I have found the selection of BUIS for me to be limited. This is due to the front sight having to be mounted on the gas block. Also there really is no front mounting point for a sling. My correction for that would be to replace the hand guard or the gas block. The gas block only has a picatinny rail on the top of the gas block.
--- End quote ---

BUIS, not necessary.
Sling, you should figure out some way to get a sling on your rifle, preferably a USGI web sling.  We'll show you how to use the sling to build a more stable shooting platform for accuracy in the field.  If you can't figure out a way to attach a sling, we've seen students tie on a shoe lace!  I-A-O:  Improvise-Adapt-Overcome.

--- Quote ---My idea was to attend the Practice to get some advice from some knowledgeable folks there about setting up this rifle. But I wanted to get some ideas from you knowledgeable folk here on the forum first.

--- End quote ---

Don't hesitate to contact the shootboss.  Wherever the event was posted, there's probably an information link with an email address.  Introduce yourself, tell them you're coming.  Ask plenty of questions.  Remember:  VOLUNTEERS!  :)

Also, get on the Appleseed Forum and find your state board to get to know your local volunteers.
Appleseed Welcome Center
Appleseed State Boards

Be safe, have fun, and let us know how it goes.

--- Quote ---and actually was getting ready to start wearing the orange hats (volunteer?).
--- End quote ---

Correct... volunteer.  You have to attend 2 Appleseed events and shoot a "Rifleman" score to take an orange hat, which means volunteer to become an instructor-in-training, on the path to becoming a red hat, or full instructor.  There are other ways to volunteer, but this is the instructor side of things.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version