Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Firearms Training

Help me name my shooting school

<< < (4/4)

Smurf Hunter:
Slightly off topic, but how consistent is the curriculum for the "NRA basic pistol" ? 

I ask because I've seen a range of descriptions and prices.  Back when I took it, the NRA range I belong to subsidized it for members.
I've also seen variations on loaner guns, renting guns and which type were permissible to actually shoot.

Maybe those variations are a function of the range being used and not the instructor?

Sorry to pester you - but I've often wondered about this :)

SoCalPrepper:

--- Quote from: Smurf Hunter on October 14, 2014, 04:08:37 PM ---Slightly off topic, but how consistent is the curriculum for the "NRA basic pistol" ? 

I ask because I've seen a range of descriptions and prices.  Back when I took it, the NRA range I belong to subsidized it for members.
I've also seen variations on loaner guns, renting guns and which type were permissible to actually shoot.

Maybe those variations are a function of the range being used and not the instructor?

Sorry to pester you - but I've often wondered about this :)

--- End quote ---

No problem! It should be completely consistent. In fact, the NRA provides the following blurb for us to use:
"This course is at least 8-hours long and includes classroom and range time learning to shoot revolvers and semi-automatic pistols. Students learn NRA’s rules for safe gun handling; pistol parts and operation; ammunition; shooting fundamentals; range rules; shooting from the bench rest position, and two handed standing positions; cleaning the pistol; and continued opportunities for skill development. Students will receive the NRA Guide to the Basics of Pistol Shooting handbook, NRA Gun Safety Rules brochure, Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification booklet, take a Basics of Pistol Shooting Student Examination, and course completion certificate. (Lesson Plan 2nd edition, 2009, 02/11)"

The price will vary based on the range used / overhead costs. I'm lucky because I have a range that is relatively low overhead. I charge slightly more because I have a lot more experience than what is required just for the Basic Pistol. "Slightly more" in this area is my $150 versus $130 for the next closest class. Along with my NRA certification, I have a teaching credential in English and US Government / Civics, and I'm an attorney (civil litigation, intellectual property) as well. That gives me a leg up since you can't teach the Personal Protection series of courses unless you are an attorney / LEO or bring one in for that portion of the class.

As far as which guns...the range I'm using does not rent guns, so it is up to me to figure that out. I have a decent collection, and would rather students bring their own, but if a tiny person shows up with a .45 and they have never shot before, I'm going to reserve the right to hand them a 9mm or a .22! :)

TiredOldGrunt:
http://ih1.redbubble.net/image.9751078.7490/sticker,375x360.png
From the movie Falling Down.  :-)

Cant think of anything witty.. 

TOG

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version