Author Topic: Help me name my shooting school  (Read 8615 times)

Offline SoCalPrepper

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Help me name my shooting school
« on: October 08, 2014, 10:08:50 AM »
After shooting for a few years, I've earned my NRA Instructor Certification in basic pistol and personal protection inside the home (rifle and outside the home coming in December).

As part of my goal to become debt free, I thought I would start offering 1-2 courses per month...but I need a shooting school name! All I can come up with so far is regional. I'm in Burbank, California so I was thinking "Burbank Self Defense Training," or "Burbank Tactical."

Not very exciting. About me...I'm only 5' tall, female, early 30s, really enthusiastic, love teaching. I'm also an attorney, so I can actually teach ALL of the NRA courses without bringing on an LEO / attorney, so that's nice. I also shoot IDPA. I figure there has to be some creative person out there? 

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Help me name my shooting school
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 11:03:40 AM »
After shooting for a few years, I've earned my NRA Instructor Certification in basic pistol and personal protection inside the home (rifle and outside the home coming in December).

As part of my goal to become debt free, I thought I would start offering 1-2 courses per month...but I need a shooting school name! All I can come up with so far is regional. I'm in Burbank, California so I was thinking "Burbank Self Defense Training," or "Burbank Tactical."

Not very exciting. About me...I'm only 5' tall, female, early 30s, really enthusiastic, love teaching. I'm also an attorney, so I can actually teach ALL of the NRA courses without bringing on an LEO / attorney, so that's nice. I also shoot IDPA. I figure there has to be some creative person out there?

I HIGHLY recommend a book called POP - Stand out in any Crowd by Sam Horn.  I checked it out from the public library a couple of weeks ago and I was so impressed that I ordered a used copy from Amazon this week.  It is all about creating interesting, creative and memorable names and taglines and elevator pitches for businesses, books, organizations, etc. 

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 11:13:40 AM »
'Trigger Control'?

Offline Alpha Mike

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I'm preparing for a lack of imagination.
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 12:39:53 PM »
"Don't Miss"   8)

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 12:53:56 PM »
Do you have any particular demographic you are going to target?  (pun not intended ;))  Women?  Families?  Couples?  Young?  Old?  or anybody that shows up?

Offline SoCalPrepper

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 12:55:15 PM »
Thanks everyone!

No particular demographic. Here in California, we need shooting schools that will get as many people educated about firearms as possible. I thought about targeting a group, but then thought better of it as I didn't want to limit myself.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 02:27:55 PM »
No Second Place
Defense Class

Remembering my face to face chats with Elmer Keith here in Shreveport La.

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 03:12:39 PM »
Southern California Shooting Institute

So-CSI S-CSI or just CSI for short

Offline cosmostrator

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 09:39:46 PM »
Where are you planning on doing your classes (local ranges, your own place or traveling)? What types of classes do you want to offer eventually (tactical, self defense, basic gun safety)?  Unfortunately the culture in LA is so weird that using tactical, shooting, weapons, or other words that sound violent might be viewed in a negative light.  Firearm Self Defense and Safety classes would probably be better received. 

Coincidentally make sure you let us know when you start offering classes, I live in the general vicinity and would love to get my wife and myself some training.

Offline SoCalPrepper

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 11:09:05 AM »
I'm planning to teach at local ranges, classroom work I might do at my place, and if there is any demand for it, I might travel as well.

Eventually, I'll be offering the full spectrum of NRA courses, and maybe some of my own if I end up developing any. So pistol, rifle, shotgun and personal protection, and the refuse to be a victim series which is all classroom work.

You've got that right - the climate in LA IS really weird!

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 11:16:08 AM »
Southern California Shooting Institute

So-CSI S-CSI or just CSI for short

SCSI is a computer peripheral communication protocol.  Mostly obsolete since USB and SATA came along.

Offline Theswerd

• Repeat after me...
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 11:37:10 AM »
"Stay On Target"
"Positive Gun Control"

That's all I got without know more. Sorry.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2014, 12:11:09 PM »
SCSI is a computer peripheral communication protocol.  Mostly obsolete since USB and SATA came along.

What caliber was it?

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 12:24:33 PM »

Offline SoCalPrepper

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 03:28:14 PM »
Thanks again everyone for your help! While I'm pondering an official school name, I've scheduled my first class!

My first NRA Basic Pistol class will be offered on December 20th, 2014 from 9am to 5pm (and I will let you out earlier IF you are on time and move quickly  ) at Angeles Shooting Range 12651 Little Tujunga Avenue, Lake View Terrace 91342.

This is a basic pistol shooting course and consists of both classroom training and range time (once the class is ready). This class will teach you the basic knowledge, skills, and attitude for owning and operating a pistol safely.

Cost is $150. Students should be prepared to bring their own pistol and ammo - but I reserve the right to have you learn on something else if the equipment is not suitable. I have a limited number of pistols for you to rent ($15 for the day) so please send me a message if you need something to learn on. If you need me to help you find ammo for the class, let me know and we'll get that set up. 100 rounds is more than sufficient for the class.

I am an NRA Certified Instructor, and carry insurance and all that good stuff.

I can be contacted via email at 15handstough@gmail.com (anyone who doesn't know horses...horses are measured in "hands," and I'm 15 hands tall :)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2014, 04:08:37 PM »
Slightly off topic, but how consistent is the curriculum for the "NRA basic pistol" ? 

I ask because I've seen a range of descriptions and prices.  Back when I took it, the NRA range I belong to subsidized it for members.
I've also seen variations on loaner guns, renting guns and which type were permissible to actually shoot.

Maybe those variations are a function of the range being used and not the instructor?

Sorry to pester you - but I've often wondered about this :)

Offline SoCalPrepper

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2014, 04:22:26 PM »
Slightly off topic, but how consistent is the curriculum for the "NRA basic pistol" ? 

I ask because I've seen a range of descriptions and prices.  Back when I took it, the NRA range I belong to subsidized it for members.
I've also seen variations on loaner guns, renting guns and which type were permissible to actually shoot.

Maybe those variations are a function of the range being used and not the instructor?

Sorry to pester you - but I've often wondered about this :)

No problem! It should be completely consistent. In fact, the NRA provides the following blurb for us to use:
"This course is at least 8-hours long and includes classroom and range time learning to shoot revolvers and semi-automatic pistols. Students learn NRA’s rules for safe gun handling; pistol parts and operation; ammunition; shooting fundamentals; range rules; shooting from the bench rest position, and two handed standing positions; cleaning the pistol; and continued opportunities for skill development. Students will receive the NRA Guide to the Basics of Pistol Shooting handbook, NRA Gun Safety Rules brochure, Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification booklet, take a Basics of Pistol Shooting Student Examination, and course completion certificate. (Lesson Plan 2nd edition, 2009, 02/11)"

The price will vary based on the range used / overhead costs. I'm lucky because I have a range that is relatively low overhead. I charge slightly more because I have a lot more experience than what is required just for the Basic Pistol. "Slightly more" in this area is my $150 versus $130 for the next closest class. Along with my NRA certification, I have a teaching credential in English and US Government / Civics, and I'm an attorney (civil litigation, intellectual property) as well. That gives me a leg up since you can't teach the Personal Protection series of courses unless you are an attorney / LEO or bring one in for that portion of the class.

As far as which guns...the range I'm using does not rent guns, so it is up to me to figure that out. I have a decent collection, and would rather students bring their own, but if a tiny person shows up with a .45 and they have never shot before, I'm going to reserve the right to hand them a 9mm or a .22! :)

Offline TiredOldGrunt

• Senior Survivalist
  • Tabbed: "Regular Guy"
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2014, 04:50:33 PM »
http://ih1.redbubble.net/image.9751078.7490/sticker,375x360.png
From the movie Falling Down.  :-)

Cant think of anything witty.. 

TOG