Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Home And Business Security

Secure interior door/room

(1/5) > >>

JGreene:
Lets just say I have a friend who has a room somewhere in his house.  It could be a walk in closet or such, lets just say its a walk in with a typical 24" interior door and a closet style door handle on it.

He wants to secure the space, burglary and fire are the two  main threats to the security of the space.  Here are my thoughts on how to secure it:

1.  The walls without the door are inaccessible from the adjoining space.  So lets assume that if the door wall is secure, the space will be.  There's no room below it and the room is dry walled on all interior walls. There are no windows.
2.  Install a plain steel door and jam, commercial grade door & Jam (would a plane residential fire rated door do just as well?)
3.  On the interior of the door wall I see two options: A) cover with 3/4 plywood screwed in place or B) remove the interior dry wall, double up all studs inbetween the existing 16" on center studs, insulate and dry wall over.

4.  For door security, have     one exterior grade knob at the normal position.  Then have a extended dead bolt about 12" from the top and bottom with key locks inside and out.

Any ideas on how to improve this?   Obviously its not full proof, but for a couple hundred dollars (2010 dollars) the space would withstand most attacks right?  Could possibly also serve as a 'panic room' if desired.

I understand that it doesn't make sense to buy an expensive door that can handle fire for 3 hours if the walls can only handle it for 1.  I want to avoid that kind of scenario.

Thanks for your input.

joeinwv:
What are you looking to be secure from or want the room to do? It's not hard to turn a closet into a big secure room, but it's not going to have the fire protection of a good safe. Your door ideas seem pretty sound - the drywall interior walls are the weak spot.

Again - depends on what level you want the room to be secure - it's not easy to build a room that is safe to be in if the rest of the house is on fire.

donaldj:

--- Quote from: Rayh059 on November 05, 2010, 08:24:51 AM ---1.  The walls without the door are inaccessible from the adjoining space.  So lets assume that if the door wall is secure, the space will be.  There's no room below it and the room is dry walled on all interior walls. There are no windows.

--- End quote ---

Let's not assume this. Drywall is easy to get through. A crowbar or baseball bat gets you through it, and most people can fit between 16 on center studs. If you want to make sure that area is safe, hang some sheet steel (with drywall over it) or decent plywood up instead of drywall.

If someone is really intent on getting in, and finds a reinforced door somewhere like you're proposing, they know they've found the Treasure Room.

Mr. Bill:
Don't forget the door hinges.  A closet door typically opens outward, so the hinge pins are on the outside.  Easy for a determined Bad Guy to just pull the pins out and remove the door.

JGreene:
Thanks for the input.  I'm just trying to find weak links in my 'plan'.   Risk assessment is critical.

The room is in the basement with two exterior, below grade walls.
As far as the other wall, let me just say that it is possible but difficult to get to.

I wouldn't expect to use this room IN a fire, but in the event there was one, it would give a reasonable amount of protection, for a some time (don't know how long) for non perishable supplies.  Smoke would be more difficult to isolate, but I'd probably have some kind of seal to help. (until it got hot obviously)

I want the contents to be reasonably protected.

This door opens IN, so hinges shouldn't be a problem.  Right now its just a standard interior wall with a hollow wood door.  Given the location within the home, it  shouldn't take too much to give it a nice upgrade in security.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version