Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > General Firearm Discussion

Year-End Gun Maintenance

(1/2) > >>

Heavy G:
For what it's worth, I set aside one day at the end of the year to clean and inspect all my guns. 

I find it easier to remember how to take down a gun if I do it at least once a year.  It's when I don't do it for several years that I forget how.

Thought I'd mention it to y'all in case it's been a while since you took care of the tools that might take care of you if SHTF. 

firetoad:
Good reminder Heavy G!

I would add that it would also be a good time to inventory one's spare parts and see what else might be needed or added!

James Yeager:
Change recoil springs in pistols at regular intervals.

Dirt Rider 3006:
That's how I spent last Saturday. Which was also the day my 16 y/o daughter's new boyfriend came over to meet us.

Sidebar: My daughter already spilled the beans to boyfriend that I shoot and have taught her how to shoot also. I had my firearms in my basement workshop when I was cleaning them, he has no idea where they are kept, and I do need to work with my daughter on keeping her big mouth shut. But since the word was out, I figured I have some fun with it.

It was lot's of fun, especially when I told him that if he makes her cry, I will make him cry.

Oh man.. I can remember when I was 16 and the only thing that was on my mind.

Hell, I'm 40 now and things haven't changed...LOL

Anyway, all my firearms got a good inspection & cleaning and I got to make an INTENSE first impression.

Heavy G:

--- Quote from: Dirt Rider 3006 on December 21, 2008, 08:12:41 AM ---That's how I spent last Saturday. Which was also the day my 16 y/o daughter's new boyfriend came over to meet us.

Sidebar: My daughter already spilled the beans to boyfriend that I shoot and have taught her how to shoot also. I had my firearms in my basement workshop when I was cleaning them, he has no idea where they are kept, and I do need to work with my daughter on keeping her big mouth shut. But since the word was out, I figured I have some fun with it.

It was lot's of fun, especially when I told him that if he makes her cry, I will make him cry.

Oh man.. I can remember when I was 16 and the only thing that was on my mind.

Hell, I'm 40 now and things haven't changed...LOL

Anyway, all my firearms got a good inspection & cleaning and I got to make an INTENSE first impression.

--- End quote ---

DirtRider 3006: You'll love this song from Rodney Atkins which is about cleaning your gun when a young gentlemen caller comes to call upon your daughter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSDAf2q6SbQ&feature=related

She might be a little mad at first, but deep down she knows that her daddy is taking care of her.  Besides, where I come from, gun cleaning introductions to dating were so common it is part of the deal. 

Now, back to the thread of year-end maintenance of firearms.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version