Finance and Economics > Economic News, the Global Economy and all Things Monetary

The Economic Fallout of Alienating Customers

<< < (2/14) > >>

David in MN:

--- Quote from: Smurf Hunter on January 21, 2019, 10:54:01 AM ---While not exactly a consumer business with "customers", I feel this way about the NRA more often lately.

--- End quote ---

I hate to say it but the NRA and ACLU have lost me as well. And while I'm not up to snuff with them I have heard rumblings from friends that the ADL and Southern Poverty Law Center are careening out of control as well. I know Dave Rubin called the ADL something like a "pointless shill group".

I guess all these companies and non-profits just missed the news about The Weekly Standard. They alienated their base and now they're gone. And it happened quick.

I just don't get it. If I do client work my client is my only concern. I might make a suggestion like which woods work well together or how I'd recommend doing joinery. But at the end of the day the guy cutting the check calls the shots. You don't bite the hand that feeds you. I can't believe that this isn't known.

David in MN:
Egard Watches is the first to make a counter commercial to Gillette. The tagline is "we see the good in men".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_HL0wiK4Zc

They're currently backordered. This will be the marketing story of 2019.

antsyaunt:
I think it is a great ad.

LvsChant:
I also thought it was offensive... it seems to assume that the majority of men in the US need to be told their preachy little tips on correct behavior.

That being said... I don't think the majority of folks agree with me, based on what I am hearing on the feedback on the ad. Gillette must think that a majority of their customers will agree with the ad and think it is doing a good thing. And, I agree with you, David... those of us who do not like it should vote with our $$$'s

iam4liberty:

--- Quote from: LvsChant on January 22, 2019, 08:24:56 PM ---Gillette must think that a majority of their customers will agree with the ad and think it is doing a good thing. And, I agree with you, David... those of us who do not like it should vote with our $$$'s

--- End quote ---

Business rumor is that brand team was chasing an Emmy to advance their careers.  Recently another P&G team won an Emmy for their "brand purpose" campaign and they were corporately made.  This created a perverse incentive for others to pursue an edgy campaign.  Gillette's financials have been falling for years, losing 30 share points since P&G acquired them.  They had to slash prices to stop the spiral. Also category is way down as more are growing beards.  So those on brand were looking for exit strategy.  This seemed like a good try as few companies had tried co-opting me too movement. Plus they have been getting harassed by feminist activists for the "pink tax" and thought this could neutralize that.

They are getting hammered.  Google trends show a 300% increase in people searching for their competitors.  This dropped a huge amount of cash in their competitors pockets which they are plowing back jnto ads.  it you watched the ad on youtube you are probably getting hammered by ads for Schick, Dollar Shave Club, and Harry's.  It is a shark frenzy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version