Finance and Economics > The Money Board

credit card debt question

(1/6) > >>

surfivor:

I am asking this for someone .. This woman is divorced and does not have alot of money, she has worked full time all her life but doesn't get paid alot. Her x husband didn't help her to pay the bills so she owed around $3800 on a credit card. I think she was paying $100 a month and they somehow started demanding more money that she didn't have so she got angry at the time and stopped paying them. They are back after her.

She was asking me, is it better for her to just send them $10 a week even if they are demanding more money and ignore that demand or what to do ?

Carl:
  I am not a lawyer,nor did I play one on TV,but if she shows intent to pay the legal system most likely will support her even if payment is not at a level the credit company likes.. BUT the credit contract may stipulate a minimum percentage payment that current hardship  causes her to re-negotiate..

I pay something ,every time I get a bill ,Mine are medical though and not contractual credit...so their may be differences.

Smurf Hunter:
What is the objective here?  To simply avoid the debt going to collections?  Protection what's left of her credit score?

Carl:
Karma Smurf ,great post.

surfivor:

--- Quote from: Smurf Hunter on June 19, 2017, 10:29:13 AM ---What is the objective here?  To simply avoid the debt going to collections?  Protection what's left of her credit score?

--- End quote ---

I don't know exactly, she doesn't really think things out that well. She just thinks she's supposed to try to pay it it seems.

When she was harassed previously and felt she was treated unfairly she became angry with them decided not to send anymore money for awhile, then sometime after that she got threatening letters from a lawyer.

She asks me is there a way for her to pay them according to what she wants or what should she do, and what was my advice. I asked her how much is that, $100 a month ? - she said no she would want to pay $40 a month. I told her, I don't know but I'll post the question here online and see what other people think.

I had just called her on the phone a few minutes ago but she was tired and didn't feel like talking about it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version