Finance and Economics > Economic News, the Global Economy and all Things Monetary

Is it Time to Pull Out of the Market?

<< < (3/4) > >>

KellyAnn:

--- Quote from: smurf hunter on July 31, 2012, 09:20:45 AM ---I'm in a very similar boat.  I contribute enough to get my employer's maximum match, and it's all going into some hyper conservative wealth preservation fund.  Your match % is incredible.  I was excited to get 50% of the first 6%. 

Funny, I recently got a phone call from a Fidelity rep who manages my 401K account.  He was worried I wasn't getting enough ROI.  I explained that I'm getting 50% ROI via employer match.  He didn't really see it that way.  If you compared the post tax take home pay with the contribution+match - it's close to double ($100 pre-tax + 50% match vs. 25-30% inc tax on $100).

--- End quote ---

My employer matches 100% of the first 3% and then 50% of the next 2%.  But it works out to 80% if you contribute the full 5%.
My guess is your Fidelity rep was concerned that you weren't racking up enough fees and expenses for his company lol.

FreeLancer:
I don't trust my intuition when it comes to pulling out of the market, or when to go all in. 

I don't trust the coitus interuptus form of family planning, either.

tamo42:
If you have money that will be penalized for withdrawal, you could always structure a permanent portfolio type of arrangement.

TexDaddy:
To me, the penalty is going to be either:

A) When the gunverment nationalizes all 401(k)s or

B) When the US Dollar Zimbabwes.

MTUCache:

--- Quote from: TexDaddy on August 02, 2012, 05:02:18 PM ---To me, the penalty is going to be either:

A) When the gunverment nationalizes all 401(k)s or

B) When the US Dollar Zimbabwes.

--- End quote ---
This.

Personally, I'm not worried about the DJIA. They'll keep it floating between 12.5k and 13.5k through the election and any "crash" afterward would be propped up so it doesn't get under the 10k. They'll do this the same way they've been fooling everyone for the last four years... by adjusting the money supply to keep the numbers looking the same even if the value there is nil.

The real question for me isn't where to put your dollars... it's whether you should be denominated in dollars at all.

That 4% "return" these analysts are all proud of don't amount to much when any housewife can tell you the real inflation numbers are double that at the grocery store. Impossible to predict the inflation over the next few years with so much inaccessible money out there being used to offset debt being defaulted on, but if even a few of those billion ever do hit Main St watch out... being on a fixed income is going to hurt.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version