Author Topic: Primary (non-rechargeable) Battery Thread  (Read 2146 times)

Offline Bubafat

• Survivalist Mentor
Primary (non-rechargeable) Battery Thread
« on: May 12, 2011, 06:10:43 PM »
I found this post and thought it was one of the best private battery testing I've seen in a while.  Unfortunately the data is ~7 years old and battery manufacturers are constantly changing their capacity (and not always in a positive direction).  While I wasn't surprised that Rayovac batteries performed as well or better than the more expensive Duracel or Energizer, I was surprised that Rite Aid's batteries performed so well.  Typically store brand batteries are manufactured by a larger battery company such as Energizer, Duracell or rayovac and repackaged.

To get an idea of what the discharge rates (amp rates)...the lower 0.5 amp rate is like a low powered flashlight, while the 3.0 amp rate is like a portable gaming device or high powered flashlight.  A battery discharged at a high rate will have less capacity (amp hours) than one that is discharged at a slower rate. Thus if you have a LED flashlight that has a high setting (2 watts) and a low setting (1 watt), the battery will last MORE than twice as long on the lower power setting than the higher setting.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?64660-Alkaline-Battery-Shoot-Out

If you come across some other testing, please post it. 

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Primary (non-rechargeable) Battery Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 09:34:40 PM »
Consumer Reports tested AA cells in their 11/07 magazine.  They published the results in their typical qualitative (but still useful) fashion and, since they're touchy about reproduction of their material, I'll summarize the take-home message:

1.  Energizer lithium cells definitely performed better overall than alkaline, especially in high-drain devices like cameras, but also were the most expensive ($2.25/cell).

2.  The alkaline cells performed essentially the same across the board, regardless of brand, so the recommendation was to buy on price.  The lowest priced cells were sold by Costco/Kirkland ($0.21/cell) and performed about as well as the more costly Duracell and other big names (>$1.00/cell).

Since reading that article I mostly buy Kirkland AA & AAA, but still stock some Energizer Ultimate lithiums for situations requiring higher performance, lighter weight, low temperature performance, or long term storage.  For D cells, I'm stuck using Duracell until Costco starts selling them under their Kirkland brand.

A year ago Costco was selling Energizer Ultimate AAs for a really great price (~$1.24/cell), and I made sure to pick up a couple packs each time I was there.  If they start selling them again at that price I'll pick up more.  In the meantime, Amazon cuts a subscription deal ($1.56/cell), so I'm buying a few per month that way for long term storage.

I also have lights that take the CR123 lithium cells.  With some searching you can pick up Rayovac or Tenergy brand for about $1/cell, and they seem to work as well as the more expensive brands.  I've never seen any comparison testing of these cells and would be interested if anyone has any links they could point me to.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Primary (non-rechargeable) Battery Thread
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 11:07:56 PM »
A year ago Costco was selling Energizer Ultimate AAs for a really great price (~$1.24/cell), and I made sure to pick up a couple packs each time I was there.  If they start selling them again at that price I'll pick up more.  In the meantime, Amazon cuts a subscription deal ($1.56/cell), so I'm buying a few per month that way for long term storage.

Costco had 20 packs of Energizer Ultimate AAs in the store today, for the first time in a long time, at a cost of $0.85/cell.  That's the best deal I've ever managed anywhere.  I literally just got a 20 pack from Amazon last week and thought I'd scored with $1.25/cell.  It might be worth a run to Costco because you never know how long they'll keep them in stock.