Author Topic: clothing and footwear question  (Read 8169 times)

Offline pete5555

• Fledgling Prepper
clothing and footwear question
« on: July 31, 2009, 12:52:57 PM »
can anyone recommend a good cold weather jacket for the fall and a moderate winter
is a leather jacket a good idea or should i be looking at a different type of winter jacket
   for footwear  are cowboy boots good or lace ups  or something else  i would like footwear
that will last for a few years

Offline khristopher23

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: clothing and footwear question
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 01:20:00 PM »
As far as jackets go, I like the Carhartt Active Jackets, especially with the thermal lining.

They are not waterproof however, and don't have a whole lot of pockets or anything, but are a good comfortable lightweight jacket. I guess though, it's all about personal preference and location. I live in GA, and that might not be the jacket I would choose if I lived in Alaska or somewhere like that. It is however, a lot warmer than it looks, and the only jacket I take with me in the truck traveling across the country. The only thing more I would want would be something more water resistant, but as mine is just about worn out, I think I'll replace it with the same thing.

I have also been thinking more about the old military (M65?) field jackets, especially if I could get one in gore-tex. I have never owned the gore-tex one, but the standard is pretty versatile, with a snap in liner, a hood that zips into the collar, and a lot of pockets. Not too stylish, but they just work.

As for footwear, again, depends on the use and weather you are looking at. I love the feel of timberland euro hikers, but again not waterproof. I did own a pair of Timberland Pro Steel toes (8" I believe). They were waterproof and very comfortable, but wore out after about a year and a half. I was a little let down they didn't last longer. I'm sure there is a lot better out there for more money, but the pro work boots are around $100, and the euro hikers about $60.

Timberland pro

euro hiker

Man, someone's got to show me how to do those short link things like y'all do :)

***k23, click modify & go in & look at the coding I added.  Any questions PM me. ;)***

Oh, welcome to the forums BTW!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 03:07:59 PM by DeltaEchoVictor »

Offline Hippy223

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 08:57:42 PM »
I agree a carhart jackets are good and tough . I were a pair of Justin slip on boots very comfortable had one pair for about 3 yrs.

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 10:46:49 PM »
The Carharts are great - once you get them "broken in".

Offline Geoff

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 10:06:12 AM »
My winter jacket is a Columbia Sportswear Jacket.  It's the kind with the zip out liner.  Both the shell and the liner are wearable separately, so it is like having three coats in one.  The best part is that they have a lifetime warranty.  I bought one about 13 years ago for about $300.  After years of wearing it, the velcro was starting to fray the nylon in certain areas.  About two years ago, I took it into the Columbia store, and about three weeks later, they sent me a completely new shell and liner. 

I'll never have to buy another coat again!

Offline vicious

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Building a better future
    • Payne Country
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 10:21:26 AM »
I don't have a comment about the jacket as that's something I've struggled with for a few years now, but when it comes to footwear, I would like to offer up Vasque boots for your consideration. I'm really hard on my footwear. I don't know why, but I seem to go through a pair of shoes or boots in no time. I ended up talking to a guy when looking for hiking boots and he recommended the Vasque. They were a little more than I wanted to spend, but they were comfortable from the start and felt very durable. I ended up splurging since it was my birthday and haven't looked back since. They are super durable, waterproof, and comfortable.

Vasque

Offline AtADeadRun

• I<3 Mr. Bill
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Velocitas eradico.
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 01:02:04 PM »
For boots, I swear by these:  http://www.magnumboots.com/us/prod/5310.asp

I work around medium voltage a lot, so the composite toe and shank are much safer than a traditional steel toe-and-shank shoe.  Moreover, it's light enough (both boots together weigh about the same as one of the steel-toed deck boots I wore in the Navy) that it's comfortable to wear for extended periods, and even to run in for short periods.  I understand Fairfax County, VA, has been issuing them to their LEOs as duty footgear.

Offline vicious

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Building a better future
    • Payne Country
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 01:19:32 PM »

Those look really nice. I don't wear steel toed boots, but they look like they'd be very comfortable and duty gear should be pretty durable.

Offline vinny

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 09:40:48 PM »
For the Jacket I'd look at some kind of hardshell (maybe from TAD Gear) and then a softshell underneath (fleece, polartech etc...).

Boots: to be honest, I wear em for a living and go thru them like they were made of paper, I've worn Rockies, which held up pretty well, except I've seen the soles fall apart in a matter of months once they start. I had a pair of Magnum police boots which ripped in two separate locations and was told by a rep that the boots were only meant to last a year >:(. So about 6 months back I went and spent the $$$$ for a pair of Danner's w/steel toe---a real bitch to break in but now that they are I'll never buy anything else. For outside of work I have a pair of Wolverine waterproof work boots which have lasted me three+ years now I think I got em at Gander Mountain.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 12:57:14 PM »
can anyone recommend a good cold weather jacket for the fall and a moderate winter
is a leather jacket a good idea or should i be looking at a different type of winter jacket
   for footwear  are cowboy boots good or lace ups  or something else  i would like footwear
that will last for a few years

Personally, I like the M65 field jacket for general knock-around wear.  You can get two different liners, a standard polyester-fill and a Thinsulate fill, for colder weather.  Try to find a jacket that's mil-spec as it is made from cotton Sateen which has been treated with a water repellent.  Otherwise, you'll have to find an appropriate treatment.

Boots?  Well, that's honestly a personal issue.  I like the previous brand of combat boot issued to the US Army.  I've got pairs that are over 20 years old and, literally, have thousands of miles on them.

However, I'm now wearing some of the Blackhawk boots that are very comfortable.  Only time will tell if they'll withstand the longevity test.

I also have a pair of Corcoran Jump Boots that are over 25 years old. They're on their third resole and the leather is just fine.

What keeps a boot, or any type of footwear, going is how you clean and treat them.

Just some thoughts, hope they help.

The Professor

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 06:30:26 PM »
Carhartts are nice jackets, specially once broken in or they do have some that brand new are soft. I get a free jacket from work every few years and usually it's the standard issue carhartt detroit jacket. I'm not sure what the other one is but it's more insulated and was soft and felt great right away. Only thing is they aren't waterproof, If you want to spend the money for quality and a lifetime jacket look into the Filson brand clothing, absolutely expensive and the best! As for boots I've tried most every brand from $40 cheapies to the $300 custom made boots and have now settled for the Timberland pro boots, they feel broken in and are a great deal for the money, Boots usually only last me 6-9 months but I can go 12-15 months with the timberlands...

Offline longrifle

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 08:34:26 AM »
You might try White's Boots. I've had a pair for over ten years now and they are still in great shape and I am admittedly hard on boots. I have a friend that has had a pair since his 18th B-day and he's still wearing them on a daily basis. He's in his late 50's now. He's had them resoled twice I think.

Longrifle

Offline Uncle Bob (he ain’t right)

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2009, 10:52:26 AM »

I work around medium voltage a lot, so the composite toe and shank are much safer than a traditional steel toe-and-shank shoe.  Moreover, it's light enough (both boots together weigh about the same as one of the steel-toed deck boots I wore in the Navy) that it's comfortable to wear for extended periods, and even to run in for short periods.  I understand Fairfax County, VA, has been issuing them to their LEOs as duty footgear.

Let me be your first + 1
 ( just for your service)

Thank You
Robert J

Offline buddha

• Prepper
    • OperationOrange
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 01:15:57 PM »
Danner boots.  I really don't wear much else.  Note that I'm really only talking about the higher end Danners... all in the $200 range.  The cheap Danners are not made in the US, and I've heard are pretty much junk.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2009, 09:19:31 PM »
Jackets - leather is a great material, but heavy and not weather resistant. Leather jacket over a wool sweater is hard to beat on a cool fall day. The M65 is functional, but ugly.

For fall weather, I think a "barn jacket" is a great option. Somewhat water resistant, flannel lining for warmth. If you have money to spend, Orvis and Filson are top notch.

Boots - I think most well made boots will last if you take care of them: clean, polish and mink oil. I have a pair of Vasque Skywalkers that I have worn since 1995. I have had a pair of Bates for over 2 years. Magnum makes a very comfortable boot, but they wear out like tennis shoes. Doc Martens are good boots. Sketchers and Timberlands are okay for casual wear, will not hold up well to hard use. Danner are top of the line. Chippewa and Carolina are also good.

I would recommend sticking with the better brands for work boots, and get Gore Tex.

TheRoot

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 04:58:50 PM »
I will add a +1 to the Carhart line although I live in the Pac-NW I wear a Carhart zip up hooded sweatshirt about 75% of the winter. I have a Burton snowboard shell that I put on over it if it is really cold, raining or snowing, for the most part that is my main layer for winter and they are awesome.

Offline liftsboxes

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Quit Whining
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2009, 05:13:32 PM »

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/clothes-workwear/mens/mens-outerwear/75081.aspx?feature=product_17

Check out the grab jacket ... waterproof with a ton of pockets.  I wore it through several MI winters and it's plenty warm and on sale right now. Personally I like Timberland's Pro line of boots.  Steel toes make a handy fulcrum, something often forgotten.

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2009, 05:36:11 PM »
I've got a few -

Carhartt - 2 different coats, one pretty ratty (I ran barbed wire fence in it a number of times - a testament to the jacket, it got chewed up, I did not), flannel lined, not good alone below +20F; plus an Arctic grade (black quilted lining) that so far has been good in -28 F + 25MPH winds with just a long-sleeve t-shirt and flannel shirt underneath

REI - 2-piece, waterproof nylon shell with fleece inner, I can wear one, the other, or both; fleece alone is worthless in a cold wind; these are comparable to similar Columbia jackets

Leather - Wilson bomber style with zip out lining, I wore this all last winter to work, even at -20 (short walk to office door), and wore the lining alone when the heating system effed up and didn't warm our area very well (they fixed it in the spring - !!!!!); jacket alone is what I'm wearing now (30s to 50s) and is quite warm

AC

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2010, 01:14:57 AM »
I get around by motorcycle so I like to have footgear that at least covers the ankle. Low-quarters are not good for keeping weed seeds and junk out anyway. I have two (new!) pairs of jump boots and a bunch of misc. stuff, since I got over my bias against 'used' and started picking stuff up at garage sales.

But, I picked up a pair of el cheapo "Response Gear" boots at Big5, $27, and so far I love 'em. I don't care if they only last a year, they're comfortable, warmer on the bike than the jump boots, and I don't worry so much about them. Traction is really good, and they have a zipper up the side so they're easy on/off.  I polish 'em once in a while and between polishes I hit 'em with some Pledge.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2010, 06:00:11 AM »
For those who wear boots every day- consider this:

When I wore the same pair almost every day, I would wear out my work dress shoes within a couple years - good brands with good leather. 

Someone told me that the reason the leather broke down at the stress points was due to the moisture; wearing every day never allowed it to dry out.   Back in 1993 I bit the bullet and bought 2 good Allen Edmond pairs at once.  Since then I have alternated them every day and put cedar shoe trees in them to dry when not on my feet. 8 or 10 new soles and almost 17 years later, both pairs would still pas for almost new.

I told this to a good friend of mine who is a high end carpenter as one day he complained about how fast he would where boots out.  Like my dress shoes, the leather would disintegrate at the stress points.  He wore decent boots too- RedWing i believe.   The next time he bought new boots he picked up 2 pair and alternated days with them. Just a year or so ago he had to retire them, more from the abrasions of 10 years of rough contractor wear.

(Using good leather care products on them in a given too)

AC

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2010, 02:12:58 PM »
Yep 2 pairs and alternate them, just ask any motorcycle cop.