Author Topic: Thanks Jack - Pepper Spray Came in Handy!!!  (Read 3911 times)

Offline madcap1one

• Survivalist Mentor
Thanks Jack - Pepper Spray Came in Handy!!!
« on: October 26, 2009, 06:16:30 AM »
I have had pepper spray next to the door of the place for years, never once used it.

After listening to Jacks discussion of how he almost peppered the neighbors dog as a less than lethal option, I decided it would be a good idea to have it with me instead of on a counter at home. So, it went on a carabiner on my new Maxpedition Jumbo (thanks for the video James Yeager.)

Yesterday, waiting for the lady to come out of the grocery store, the puppies and I crossed paths with an angry momma raccoon doing her own grocery shopping in the dumpsters off to the side of the parking lot. She disagreed with my choice of walking companions!

I didn't spray her directly in the face, more of a misting in front of her to discourage her beeline towards us (the dogs and I got a wiff as well - not pleasant, not permanent.) That turned her right around. The grocery store manager was notified, and he promised to call animal control. He was also kind enough to break out the eyewash emergency station to flush out the pepper from the dogs and I - he was quite gracious in taking care of us and being apologetic for not having noticed raccoons that might be a bit contentious in his parking lot.

All in all - a fantastic result from a 3 oz. little can that I will be replacing on lunch today!

Notes:
-Yes, I had purchased a new can, I wasn't using the one that had been on the counter for a number of years
-The can was one of those that sprays a mist, I did get some backspray (and paid the price) but I was happy to have the fog as opposed to a stream or a gel
-Raccoons look cute to us city folks, but having spent time in the country as a kid, I don't mess with mamma coons (or any other mamma wildlife) they are rightly protective of their young
-My dogs are idiots (but I knew that already and still love the little buggers)

Offline swoods

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Thanks Jack - Pepper Spray Came in Handy!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 07:36:17 AM »
Hey there, glad you and your doggies are ok. At the old A & W root beer stand (from years ago), they had a raccoon problem. If you parked at the back, which is where all of us "cool" kids parked, the raccoons would almost circle the vehicle to get fries tossed at them or whatever people would throw out. A bit dangerous for the car hops!

Offline madcap1one

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 07:44:36 AM »
Hey there, glad you and your doggies are ok. At the old A & W root beer stand (from years ago), they had a raccoon problem. If you parked at the back, which is where all of us "cool" kids parked, the raccoons would almost circle the vehicle to get fries tossed at them or whatever people would throw out. A bit dangerous for the car hops!

Oh how I would love a frosty root beer float! Nearest A&W that I am aware of is 80+ miles from me - a road trip may be in order. Of course, if I see raccoons in their lot, I will be blaming you!!!

sarahluker

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 08:56:04 AM »
Back when I was a teen I had a doberman pinscher run up at me snarling.  I luckily had the mace of the day on me when I walked so I sprayed it.  Well being a mist and the wind blowing toward ME, I got a good whiff and the dog got little.  It slowed him down enough for me to climb the magnolia in our front yard and yell for help.  I never forgot that spray coming back at me.  Turned out the neighbor was training his doberman to attack.  Lovely.

Offline madcap1one

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 09:15:05 AM »
It is NOT pleasant, luckily however, I knew what to expect having been sprayed years ago during a training. That said, I assume it beats the heck out of medical bills and a course of rabies shots after being bitten by a raccoon.

The pups however, are eyeing my murse/Maxpedition with a great amount of trepidation and wariness...

Offline swoods

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 01:11:29 PM »
Oh how I would love a frosty root beer float! Nearest A&W that I am aware of is 80+ miles from me - a road trip may be in order. Of course, if I see raccoons in their lot, I will be blaming you!!!

LOL..............I will make sure they know you are coming!!

endurance

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 02:05:18 PM »
I used it twice when I was a cop, both on drink 20-something guys fighting.  Amazingly effective stuff.  It is not quite an instant effect, it takes a second or two for the brain to process the pain or the throat to tighten up.  Folks will still take 3-5 steps in the direction they were travelling and if they can grap you, they can still do some damage.  However, if you sidestep they can't pursue you because they can't see clearly enough and within a couple seconds, the fight is taken completely out of them.

Glad you had a good resolution to a bit of a scary situation.  Sure, it probably wasn't life or death, but never the less, I wouldn't want a racoon chomping on me or my pups.

Offline fratermus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • snowbird / boondocker
    • boondock plan
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 08:12:56 AM »
I've rotated the safety to the "off" position before and pointed (at charging pit bulls), but have never deployed pepper spray.   I do have a 9mm concealed in a hip holster but would greatly prefer not to deploy it if lesser means are effective.