Author Topic: Holster for Wife?  (Read 13740 times)

Offline OJ

• Survivor
    • Big O Gunleather
Re: Holster for Wife?
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2010, 10:49:26 PM »
I just bought a new guuuunnnnnn (38 lady rossi).  Gonna make my own dang holster for it.  :)

If you use thick leather (8-9 oz), be careful using a Tandy 4-hole punch.  It's pretty easy to bend the prongs while pulling them OUT of the holes you just made.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2010, 12:22:16 AM »
If you use thick leather (8-9 oz), be careful using a Tandy 4-hole punch.  It's pretty easy to bend the prongs while pulling them OUT of the holes you just made.

I use several layers of thin leather (3) when I make holsters/sheaths.  And I always use a small bit drill (same size as the needle I use to sew them together) to drill the holes after marking them with the hole marker thingy.  Clamp the leather together, drill the first two holes.  Take the leather apart, and mark the second two pieces of leather based on the first two holes.  Then drill the holes in those two pieces, fit them with the top piece, and sew them together with 2 needles and a blanket stitch (and waxed cord).

Drilling & sewing is always last though.  Gotta cut it, soak it, stretch it, clamp it, dry it, figure out where the belt thingy-ma-bobber will go, cut another piece, mark it for stitching, blah blah blah.

Are you a leatherworker, OJ?  I am a big, big fan of working leather, but I'm just a newbie to the craft.

Offline OJ

• Survivor
    • Big O Gunleather
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2010, 02:02:43 PM »
Not a leatherworker.

Just made ONE holster out of 8-9 oz leather.  I think it's pretty good for a first try, but could be a lot better.

(and the next one WILL be....because of the lessons learned from the first one, like, for instance, the whole bent punch thing....)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2010, 02:16:39 PM »
Not a leatherworker.

Just made ONE holster out of 8-9 oz leather.  I think it's pretty good for a first try, but could be a lot better.

(and the next one WILL be....because of the lessons learned from the first one, like, for instance, the whole bent punch thing....)

Next time, use a stitch marker thing (looks like a spiky wheel) and a small drill.  :)