Author Topic: Survival Kit in a Sardine Can  (Read 7632 times)

New Englander

Survival Kit in a Sardine Can
« on: May 24, 2009, 06:38:45 PM »
This is an interesting every day carry item.  I also found them cheaper on Amazon and ordered one up.

http://www.whistlecreek.com/surkitinsarc2.html

Hare of Caerbannog

Re: Survival Kit in a Sardine Can
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 07:54:45 PM »
You could probably put one together cheaper on your own, but its not so expensive that its out of the question.
Looks like it would be great to stick one in each car's glove box.
It would be nice to have in your office desk as well.
Here's an odd place a person my not think of, but you could have one in your gym locker if you have a gym membership.

Offline “Mark”

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Freedom lovin' Canadian
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 08:13:47 PM »
Yeah, it's got some useless stuff in there... but it's better than nothing!

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Has his wife's permission
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 08:38:28 PM »
You can build one of these and customize them with what YOU think you might need.  Here is a pretty cool idea that uses an Altoid Tin.

http://www.survival.com/best.htm

I like it because they made the tin a handle for a Jigsaw blade.  I have one with a garbage bag, fishing hooks, a flint, matches, a sewing kit, compass, reflector, etc.

Offline “Mark”

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Freedom lovin' Canadian
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 09:24:12 PM »
That looks a lot more useful! A saw is far handier than iced tea.

Goatdog62

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 10:13:04 PM »
One came in my Mossberg 500 JIC (Just In Case) package. I never opened it though. I teach survival and find that most commercial kits are inadequate. Better than nothing, but in the same space (can, pouch, etc) better components are available. You need to evaluate your region/climate, your skills, tactical considerations, and many other factors.

Offline inthego

• Survivalist Mentor
  • No man is free who is not master of himself..
    • My Biz web site
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 07:28:51 PM »
I came across one of those at Sports Academy for like $9.99.. Any way New Englander, I checked you your photos.. nice you really have a good eye for photography. ;D

Juggernaut

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 06:37:19 PM »
there seems to be some good stuff in their.... like matches and fire starter... . but is there really a use for some of it? great idea to have but it seems like a better idea just to carry a BOB on hand, or in your car.

Offline Muddyboots

• Danger: Do Not Inflate
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Hoodlum's Ambassador
    • Hood's Woods- the Hoodlums Forum
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 01:43:52 PM »
The problem with any commercial survival kit (even Doug Ritter's) is that it is a generalization and doesn't take into account the needs of specific individuals and their Area of Operation. An added problem with sealed kits is you can't practice with them. You have to buy two just to find out what works and what doesn't. It would be rather bad to discover that the wire saw in the sealed kit will snap unless used VERY specifically.

Here is a thread from my home board that details a pack kit and more relevant, my mini kit: http://www.hoodswoods.net/IVB/index.php?showtopic=17005 (sorry, some people won't be able to see that! I'll try to upload the pictures and list.)

Honestly I do update things in there, for example my snare wire is now stainless steel .040 nut locking wire.

I think EVERYONE should go through the process of making their own kit.

Here at least is the list:

1) Tin body.
2) Tin lid (note gasket)
3) 24"X36" ultra heavy commercial aluminum foil
4) Katadyne water purification tablets
5) Pat Crawford "Cat Claw" folding knife. I have a custom knife in MY kit!
6) Brass snare wire 25'
7) 10' of 3mm Perlon
8) Fine grit diamond hone (cut from diamond dust nail file)
9) 50 yds. Spyder wire 80# spectra fishing line
10) Whole spool of waxed dental floss
11) Button compass (8 hr. glow)
12) Porta Aqua in Survival Resources mini bottle
13) Large oven bag (marked by ltr.) in small ziplock
14) Fishing kit: Lures, split shot, hooks (see here)
15) Safety pins 2 lg. 1 med. 12 sm.
16) 5 sewing needles including 1 leather needle and one Machine needle
17) 1.5mm drill bit, 2 med. suture needles and 1 small
18) Bic lighter
19) Mini sparker ferro/mag rod
20) $20 US
21) Utility knife blade
22) 12' Parachute cord (actually goes around kit to keep it closed)
23) Wire saw with handles
24) signal mirror
25) four quarters

I hope this gets peoples minds going!

Muddyboots

Muddyboots

« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 01:47:50 PM by Muddyboots »

Offline Eric M

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 06:35:58 PM »
I have one of these the is almost 20 years old.   I should pop it open and see how the contents held up.

Offline Aspiring Homesteader

• Survivor
  • What?
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 09:20:52 AM »
Hmm, I have a little Altoids Small tin on my desk that is empty. Wonder what I could put in there that would be useful. Maybe some band aids and some rubber bands or something. LOL its amazing how these things get you to thinking isn't it?

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Has his wife's permission
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 08:26:48 PM »
I have some plastic Grizzly chewing tobacco cans.  I put some fishing line in one and cut a hole in the bottom of the can and attached a leader.  The cans float pretty well in water and can be used as a bobber. You can store hooks, sinkers, lures, etc in one little can.  makes a great survival fishing kit.

Offline khristopher23

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2009, 08:38:58 AM »
Here's an idea that I have used. A survival kit in a water bottle.

http://www.nitro-pak.com/product_info.php?products_id=1329

I definitely would recommend building your own though, instead of buying one with a bunch of junk in it. Some of what I have in mine:

-space blanket
-emergency poncho
-strike anywhere matches in one of those $.99 orange matchboxes
-mini bic lighter
-magnesium firestarter
-water purification tabs
-mini mag light
-Browning lockblade knife

(I think there are a few other things, but I can't really remember)

Some other things I want to add, but haven't  got around to:
-a stainless steel cup that fits over the bottom secured by duct tape
-replace the Browning with a spare leatherman
-wrap the whole thing in para cord

I might should replace the water purification tabs (I believe they may be expired now anyway) with iodine- it's more dual purpose, as it can be used for wounds as well-
and add a few 2x2 bandages (could be secured by the duct tape I haven't put on there yet), a few aspirin, and band-aids.

Edit:
If you don't have a wide mouth water bottle, I got to looking at an empty Nesquik container the other day with a gleam in my eye.

Oh, one more thing
That looks a lot more useful! A saw is far handier than iced tea.

I wouldn't laugh too much at the tea. I read a lot of Backwoodsman magazine,where they often list what some of the old time mt. men carried (when they have found actual written accounts of it) and more than one had some tea in their possibles bag, or a small kit they usually kept with them. I guess it would be a way of making hot water more drinkable if you were in a cold environment and needed warmed up.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 08:49:37 AM by khristopher23 »

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2009, 02:22:52 PM »

I wouldn't laugh too much at the tea. I read a lot of Backwoodsman magazine,where they often list what some of the old time mt. men carried (when they have found actual written accounts of it) and more than one had some tea in their possibles bag, or a small kit they usually kept with them. I guess it would be a way of making hot water more drinkable if you were in a cold environment and needed warmed up.

More than just that.

There's a lot to be said for a good hot cuppa.

In a survival situation, a distraught person is much more likely to make mistakes than a calm one.

If there was ever a time for comfort foods, that's a good one. A hot cup of tea and a Tootsie Roll can seem like manna from Heaven.

Taking a tea (or coffee) break accomplishes several things: It forces you to get a fire started--which has major psychological, survival, & rescue benefits--and to stay put for that first critical hour or so. That makes you a lot easier to find (usually). It also makes you secure your water supply and get some hydration going.

Once you've calmed down and relaxed a bit by your cozy fire, you can deal with things like shelter making and What To Do Til Friday.

Offline arkangel13

• Prepper
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010, 08:28:40 PM »
Tea can also be used as an herbal remedy. It constricts blood vessels and helps reduce inflamation. It can be used as an astringent to clean wounds and fight bacteria. You can also use them as eye drops to help treat pinkeye. Handy stuff.

Offline The Infidel

• Survivor
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2010, 11:33:51 PM »
For me, part of the fun is putting together my own kits.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2010, 06:13:29 PM »
I think the 'sardine can' commercial option has it's use thought.  As it's sealed and is less likely to allow water to destroy the contents.  Using a Altoids Tin is great, and you can pack your own items in it,.. but I've never gotten one to seal.  They will say use Electrical tape, but in my experience, it never seals.... YMMV..

Offline Dadio

• Prepper
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2010, 05:19:53 AM »
Muddyboots: I noticed the drill bit in your list. Can't figure out how to make that work without at least a multitool pliers to twist the thing. I bet I'm missing something. School me on the use and uses, please!

Offline mlwilki

• Prepper
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2010, 07:02:36 AM »
I have been toying with the idea of making custom survival cans. I was thinking I could put whatever someone wanted in it and ship it to them. The equipment needed to seal cans start at around $400 and cans with pull top lids are around $2 per can with a minimum order of 200. Cans come in all sizes but a can seamier is not one size fits all and rollers need to be purchased for each size can at $200 per set. I am thinking a person could start up  a business making custom cans for about $1200.

Now what can someone put in cans? How about setting up a booth at a gun show or gun shop on the weekends and can ammo and stuff for customers wile that watch. They can see exactly what is going into the can they are buying. And can add stuff like money, gold, guns, ammo, lock pick set and whatever else they can think of and then they can pull a label off a can at home and make their can blend into their food storage.

Just think about this, you are bugging out of a big city on foot and all you have is a backpack and you get stopped by law enforcement and get searched for weapons. All they find is some cans of food and most of it is expired (or that is what they think). In reality you have money, gold and a a small pistol with ammo in a can labeled clam juice that expired 4 years ago. Will they take that clam juice away from you? Or let you pass?

Offline Muddyboots

• Danger: Do Not Inflate
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Hoodlum's Ambassador
    • Hood's Woods- the Hoodlums Forum
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2010, 06:40:59 PM »
Dadio, Note the size of the bit. It's tiny! .8 mm actually (I had to check.) Between my field experience and my work, I've seen a whole lot of smashed fingers and boot induced injuries. That bit is in the kit to relieve the pressure of blood under a finger or toe nail. You don't need a holder though a little tape around the shank does make it easier or a pin vise is awesome (my sewing kit has one.) I know you can heat a wire but the small drill is a whole lot less painful, there is much less chance of damaging the nail bed and it heals much faster. It takes something like three of them to weigh a gram and they don't take up much space.

HTH!

Muddyboots

Offline Dadio

• Prepper
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2010, 09:28:06 PM »
Excellent! Thanks for the response.  I've used the awl on a Swiss Army Farmer once, but I like that idea better.  Never heard of doing that before but really like the idea.