Author Topic: EDC for n00bs  (Read 2377 times)

Offline TysonC

• Survivor
EDC for n00bs
« on: June 10, 2010, 04:51:39 PM »
Full write up here - http://www.thechristiansurvivalguide.com/2010/06/01/the-beginners-every-day-carry/

Since we all live such busy and mobile lives , it would be far too inconvenient if not impossible to carry all our preps with us everywhere we go. But what we can do is develop a system that allows us to address most immediate issues wherever we are that will help us eventually fall back to our vehicles, homes, or other position of strength. This is why it is necessary to develop a small arsenal of tools to be carried on person or close by, every day.

Women have carried handbags, purses, clutches and the like for how long? And why do they do so? If you ask someone like my wife not only is it fashionable, but she can have "the things she needs" when she "needs" them. Things like make up and other "necessary" feminine items. Now, I can sit and argue what defines necessary all day, but with a woman, this would be futile. However, the idea behind this is fantastic: to carry with her the tools for all the "what ifs".

That is the focus of this article, the what ifs. Now, your daily environment may be completely different than mine and some of the things I may recommend for carry may not fit your needs or may not be legal. So please check local laws before carrying, 'cause "Tyson from TCSG said so" is not a proper legal defense.

To start, carry basic items that have multiple uses if possible. The less you carry the more comfortable you will be and the more likely you are to continue. You might also notice that most of these items will fit into a "survival kit" as well.

The first thing every good prepper needs is a blade. A wise man once said all you really need to get by is sharp wits and a sharper knife. At a truly minimalistic sense almost anything you may need post-event can either be procured or fabricated with a knife and raw materials found in nature (we just usually don't have the luxury of time). Do not cheap out here. Now, I regularly carry two knives. On person and in pocket is a benchmade osborne rift for daily tasks like cutting cordage/twine and opening boxes. I also carry it as a secondary weapon. This is supplemented in my Go Bag by a Rat Cutlery Izula for heavier uses. And as always, if you carry a knife, carry something to sharpen it - like a Lansky or Smith's pocket sharpener.

If your needs don't require a stand alone blade (I recommend you carry one anyways) a multi-tool is a great option. I use mine frequently for small repairs I come across and for nail trimming when nothing else is going on. They have so many uses in day to day and survivalist scenarios that it would take a series of articles to cover just the basics. I have had a Gerber Diesel for a few years and consider it indispensable. I have become a fan of Gerber products (other than knives) after watching Dave Canterbury videos. Lately, I have been carrying a small Gerber Clutch (the one with pliers) in my back pocket and leaving the Diesel in the Go Bag. It seems to be working just fine.

The next thing is quite important and carried by most people right now, but is rarely viewed as a prep. That's a cell phone. Considering the scope of an event is limited (not TEOTWAWKI) and electronics are usable you should be able to use your cell for basic communications. For vehicle breakdowns you can't handle why not call AAA/a tow, you can coordinate rendezvous for bugging out, or contact emergency services. In addition most phones can be used to carry a back up set of critical documents, contacts, and access map systems or the internet for directions. I believe in a modern world, a good cell phone is a required EDC prep.

I may be a little bit controversial with this next prep, but in my heart of hearts I believe it to be absolutely necessary not only for self-preservation but as an exercise of freedom and reverence to God for the gift of America. Carry a firearm. No matter how big the thug there is no greater equalizer than a gun pointed at his chest. I'm not saying you need to become a modern day gunslinger. Its just that it has been shown time and time again that the presence of a firearm has prevented the commission of crimes. If you don't feel comfortable with a firearm, fine. I can't convince you any different and thus, you present more harm than good by carrying one. So carry a less than lethal weapon like a taser, spitfire spray, a tiger light, or kubaton and get training. My wife and I both carry Spitfire brand OC spray on our key chains - I like to have options and agree with the argument of "if you only have a hammer, every problem looks like a nail". So I carry a less than lethal in addition to my concealed carry.

For you gearheads I EDC/CCW a Kahr PM9 in a Crossbreed Mini-tuck or a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. An extra mag usually tucked in my front left pocket. I find these setups to be comfortable and easy to conceal. My preferred load is the 115 gr. Speer Gold Dots, they seem to be the best feeding round in Kahrs and have great defensive ability for a 9mm. As always, I urge you to seek professional training before engaging in any kind of carry.

Beyond these items I like to have a few extra tools like a small torx wrench, pry bar, and a Petzl headlamp close by. Couple that with a first aid kit (FAK), a few Clif Bars/water, some smaller items to round out a survival kit like paracord and a whistle (more on Survival Kits to come soon) and it becomes quite difficult to carry all this on person. So I like to have a bag close by to carry this other stuff. I call this my "Go Bag" to remind myself that at any point I can pick up this bag and start walking. With this gear (and God's grace) I should be fine for about 24 hours or 20 miles. Note that this is not my Bug Out Bag as it is fairly limited and is focused on my daily routine, distances/terrain traveled, and other foreseeable problems I may encounter.

For this I use any one of a myriad of bags. My favorite bags so far are made from heavy duty nylon cordura, usually 1000 denier. To date I have not found the perfect bag for all situations although I prefer Maxpedition products over most others. They have great durability and organizational capabilities, but most of their products are geared to tactical uses and break from my usual "grey man" approach. I'm still waiting for them to put out a more plain back pack like their Glen Eagle line. For right now my Go Bag is the LAPG Bug Out Bag which is relatively inexpensive and works fine considering I carry it to my desk and back to the truck. It appears to be business like, but I'd like something a little less "tactical" with two straps for comfort over distance and hands free carry. I feel that a single shoulder strap limits mobility. Don't feel that maxpedition or Lapg are your only options. There are great bag makers out there like 5.11, Condor, Spec Ops gear, and Mountainsmith to name a few.

So to reiterate you should carry on person a blade, multi-tool, cell phone, and self-defense weapon. As well as having close by a collection of tools you may find useful for your daily life, coupled with a FAK and survival kit. Remember to check local laws and always seek professional training before carrying any weapon.