Author Topic: My new DIY kydex EDC holster.  (Read 4831 times)

JNeuser

My new DIY kydex EDC holster.
« on: February 19, 2010, 12:27:10 PM »
 So I've been wanting to get a new IWB holster for Appendix carry for a while now. Problem was I either didn't care for many of designs currently available or didn't want to spend $100+ for one. After seeing a DIY kydex thread on another popular board, I figured..... oh why not??? I had the foam pads, clamps and assorted tools already so I only needed the Kydex and fasteners.

I ordered a sheet of .080" thick kydex, rivets, rubber spacers and chicago screws from knifekits.com. A few days later it all arrived in the mail. Before jumping into making the holster though, I decided to start with a knife sheath first. I was truly surprised just how easy this stuff was to work with. The holster still needs a little tweaking here and there, but over all I pretty well pleased with the results of both.

So for around $35 I now have a much better sheath than what came with my knife, the holster I've been wanting and enough material left over to make to make another holster or mag pouches, light holders etc. Any how, here's the pics, would like to hear what others think.

Offline spartan

• Ass Hat Hitman
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Battle Hippie
    • The Permaculture Podcast
Re: My new DIY kydex EDC holster.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 12:29:57 PM »
Very cool.  Can you post more information on the construction process?

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 02:18:54 PM »
Pretty cool.  I've never worked with Kydex.  A little more detail on the forming process would be interesting and helpfull.

+1 for the project.

Offline teton traveler

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 05:54:23 PM »
Thanks for the post. I am in the middle of building a kydex holster for my pistol and was kind of stumped on how to do some of the hooks, but you cleared things up.

Offline cerakoter

• Prepper
    • www.cerakote.info
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 06:13:42 PM »
nicely done!

Offline chad234

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 07:26:17 PM »
Very nice work. You saved money, developed a skill, and got some cool gear. Very Ant.

JNeuser

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 08:38:27 PM »
Thanks guys! Hopefully tomorrow night I'm gonna make a belt slide for the same pistol with a streamlight M3 attached . If the wife is up for it, I'll have her take pics of the whole process as I go.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 10:24:25 PM »
Well done.

Working with kydex is a blast...& pretty simple to boot.  You get a lot of bang for very little investment. ;)

Offline arkangel13

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 07:19:33 AM »
WOW!! That is just too freakin cool. You also have the satisfaction of knowing that you built it with your own two hands and there is no greater feeling than that. Good job and keep up the good work.