Author Topic: Also less than lethal - Wasp Spray  (Read 6690 times)

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
Also less than lethal - Wasp Spray
« on: October 01, 2009, 08:58:45 AM »
My hubby sent me an email the other day from a girl he works with a suggestion from a local police officer for using Wasp spray as a deterrent.  I have my CCW and carry and also have pepper spray on my key ring and in my car. The article pointed out that wasp spray isn't illegal to carry anywhere and shoots at a farther distance and is just as effective at stopping someone when sprayed in the face. It also is less noticeable than AK-47 lying around. Our daughter lives in California and had to travel to LA the other day by herself.  She stopped at Target and bought a can to carry with her.  At least she had some means of protection. Just thought I would pass it along.  Blessings TBM

Offline firetoad

• Guardian of The Gateway
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
Re: Also less than lethal - Wasp Spray
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 09:30:58 AM »
Anything is better than nothing for sure!  However, I would recommend reading through the text here:

http://www.snopes.com/crime/prevent/waspspray.asp

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 09:49:02 AM »
I would be VERY reluctant to use wasp spray as an intentionally carried defense mechanism. If it is available as an "improvised weapon" in a scenario, by all means use it, but to make it part of a defense kit is, in my mind, unwise.

Pepper spray is classified "nonlethal" in tried and true legal context. It is an irritant, not a poison.  In many cases, using agents other than case proven pepper spray, a prosecuting attorney could label the use of these compounds as "lethal force". Ergo, you may be unjustified in using wasp spray or any other similar compound in a specific encounter not justifying lethal force.

If it is a lethal force scenario, my CCW instructor informally mentioned that it may be better for the defender (the "good guy") if his story is the only one the police can check out, ie, the assailant is dead. Nothing could be worse than an assailant being able to "tell his side of the story" to a jury. Remember, this is a LETHAL FORCE encounter... the assailant just tried to kill you or family!

In a post-SHTF world, it may have applications, when litigation is not a factor.

Don

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 10:37:29 AM »
Thanks for the input guys!  I'm thinking I should buy my daughter some pepper spray and mail it out to her anyway.  Just trying to find ways to keep her safe especially if she has to travel far by herself. I personally recommend a concealed S&W .38 but she lives in California. TBM

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 12:16:38 AM »
Tell her that there's a very nice, handsome, well-off young man in Virginia, that will be more than happy to show her around where the gun laws are much more amenable to concealed carry. :-D

James Yeager

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 05:50:36 AM »
As a side note it is illegal to use OC products marked for animal use (i.e. Bear Spray) against humans.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 07:45:47 AM »
Tell her that there's a very nice, handsome, well-off young man in Virginia, that will be more than happy to show her around where the gun laws are much more amenable to concealed carry. :-D

Sorry darling although a gorgeous really nice girl (I'm a little prejudiced) she's married.  Normally I wouldn't worry as much if she was staying near her own small town but she had to drive to LA alone.  I was more worried about her having to park and walk to her hotel by herself at night - even she was  nervous.  AND YES we are hoping they will move back to Colorado this next year.  They are looking at jobs here so it would make her mama happy to have her out of California.  She lives in the San Joachim valley and WITH WHAT THE ASS-CLOWNS have done there their economy is in the toilet. Besides she was here just before the last storm (see Region 7 Huge Storm for pics of the snow) and misses Colorado snow.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a girl like her to cross your path! Blessings TBM

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 09:38:38 AM »
Ouch. Yeah, totally assclowinified.

I'm sure she has friends, though - maybe she could drag a few to dirt time ;-)

Good luck to both of them on the job hunt. A buddy of mine lost his job about two months ago and is STILL looking. Even McDonald's isn't hiring around here.

Offline fratermus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • snowbird / boondocker
    • boondock plan
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 07:36:39 AM »
A gentleman I know who works in a rural area indicates wasp spray has provided significant defense against wild/loose dogs (usually pit bulls for whatever reason) that charge men under his direct responsibility/guard/protection. 

The actual quote was "[The wild dogs] always fall down.  They do not always get back up."

He prefers this method to his issued shotgun, the use of which would require paperwork, visits with supervisors, etc.  I do not remember what brand he uses, but he sticks to one as he prefers its range, tight spray pattern, and trigger mechanism.

Offline No Prob Rob

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 05:12:26 PM »
Ditto on the wasp spray used on dogs. If you get the right brand it is almost 99% lethal. Something in it that does a number on dogs but not sure which chemical it is.

An electrician I know has put down many a dog that has tried to chew his leg off.

Fred_47460

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 05:38:13 PM »
This really sounds like something that should not be used except in the direst of emergencies. If you feel the need for non-lethal defensive measures...PLEASE....use non-lethal measures. Use something that is designed for this use. Using something like this is an invitation for litigation. And if you go around using this stuff on dogs as a casual thing.....I hope you burn in hell !!

Edited to add: I'm not aiming these comments toward any particular person on this forum.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 05:40:37 PM by Fred_47460 »

Offline kiteflyer

• Survival Demonstrator
  • The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 06:52:16 PM »
  There was a case here in Texas where a father used an electric stun gun on his son to get him to act right,he was charged with a felony but the state had to lower the charges (pun) because if held up in court then all the law enforcement people could have been charged with the same offence. ;D I think he got child endangerment instead a misdemeanor.

kiteflyer
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 06:54:19 PM by kiteflyer »

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 11:44:27 PM »
There are two types of OC, the fog kind and the stream kind.  The stream kind give you the range that the wasp spray does without any of the negatives mentioned above.  Not sure what it does to wasps though.

Offline delta69alpha

• Prepper
    • PAw productions
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 04:20:58 AM »
ive had wasp spray get in my face at work once( bad wind). Wiped it off and dodged angry wasp's. Plus the cans are 20x's the size of a small OC can. Kinda like saying use an airsoft pistol for HD,,when you have the option of a real gun.