Author Topic: Every Day Carry (EDC) Gear  (Read 28805 times)

jeremya

Every Day Carry (EDC) Gear
« on: November 27, 2008, 02:25:59 PM »
I figured before I ask for a new board to be created I would start this thread to see if there is any interest in EDC.

I carry a Timbuktu Laptop Messenger bag to and from work every day so I keep a FAK, a Swiss Army Knife, Pens, Notepad, Laptop, etc in there, but recently I realized that on the weekends when I go out I am limited to what I can shove in my pockets. So now I am in search of an EDC bag for the weekends. I guess it's the Boy Scout in my but EDC of some sort is just basic personal preparedness.

Is there interest in EDC?
What do you carry daily?

-- Jeremy

DrGonzo if this isn't a good place to post this move it where you'd think would be best.  ;D

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
Re: Every Day Carry (EDC) Gear
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 03:07:41 PM »
I have actually been on the outlook for a good priced EDC. Currently, other than the stuff in my BOV, I carry a 2 way radio, back up batteries, lighter, head lamp, and earphones with MP3 player that can pick up AM/FM radio. That fits in my lunch bag. However, I am looking for something bigger and better (and perferably something without woodland or military camo).

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 04:19:53 PM »
I EDC a black messenger bag my wife got for me years ago at the GAP, I believe.  It's been a good bag but lately I've been eyeballin' it thinking I might get with SOE Tactical to see if they could use my basic bag as a base to start, & updating it per some of my requirements.  I'm thinking of tougher cordura than my current bag is made out of, also some MOLLE webbing & a few pockets for specific items I'd like to have close at hand.

At work I'm only about 2 minutes from my house so I don't carry a whole lot with me.  Basic first aid stuff, flashlight, knife, lighter a few personal OTC drugs.  If SHTF I'm just a skip from the casa & can be there quickly.

Oh, I like your idea for a new board too BTW. ;)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 04:21:42 PM by DeltaEchoVictor »

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Rookie Registered Nurse
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 04:50:30 PM »
I live where I work but I still have a few items that are EDC where ever I go.  Here they are:

Gerber Compact 400 multi-tool. 
Single blade locking folder.  Right now I am in between knives because I broke my benchmade vex.  Today I am carrying a small schrade folder.  I am looking at getting a Ka-Bar dozier with the big thumb hole.  I am done with liner lock knives and this one has a traditional lock like a Buck 110.
Bic Lighter with child proof REMOVED.  I am not a child. 
Cotton bandana
In wallet:  Hidden large bill.  Credit card survival tool and a fresnel lens.

Depending on what keys I am carrying I have a whistle and flashlight on the keychain.

I carry a backpack at work and inside I have these items:
first aid kit
water bottle
beefy firesteel and a huge ass bar of magnesium
Spool of jute twine
firepaste
petzl tikka plus headlamp
Military crooked neck D-cell flashlight (made in my hometown by the way)
1Gig flash drive

I am an Eagle Scout....Be Prepared!  I like the idea of an EDC thread.  Go for it!

Offline John Willis

• Survivor
    • Special Operations Equipment
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 07:06:07 PM »
This is a repost from my forum.

This is a bag we started making about a year ago. It has evloved a bit after carrying it around every day.

13" wide x 10.5" tall x 4.5 deep.

Front. 4 single mags. I was playing with the lids which are removable. I made two single lids and made one that covers two mags. We will proabably add a removable flap that covers the top and front of the bag like what you see on all the atache cases. I left slots under the velcro on the front of the mags so we can run bunggee accross the front of them.

The mag pouches will carry m4 or ak mags.

On the back there is a flat zippered pocket. The inside is lined with velcro so you can atach holsters and pouches. There is also a tuck away waist strap on the back.

Here is a shot from the top.

Here is the maine compartment. You can see inside there is a nalgeen and 1 qt canteen. It will also hold a 2 qt in between them to give you an idea of the size.

There is a flat pocket on each of the walls inside. Both sides of the pockets are lined with With velcro. We are going to make velcro backed pockets and scuba webbing with elastic slot for variuos items like what we did with the bible covers.

Offline John Willis

• Survivor
    • Special Operations Equipment
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 07:10:55 PM »
We can totally add a flap. I have a lot of guys wanting them with and with out a flap. I built this as a prototype to test a few things and have a platform to build off of. We have a lot of guys wanting to use these as active shooter bags and the thought is that when they get out of the car with the long gun the cat is out of the bag any ways. I think we are going to make the flap removable.

I also want to redo the handle. I forgot to put a carry handle on it till it was all together so this was an after thought. The handle on it right now sucks.

The 4 mag pouches on the front are velcro lined so you can afix a small tab of velcro to your mags and run them with no lids. We are also going to add small tabs of webbing so you can run bungee accross the front if prefered. And of coarse there are also the lid options.

We can also make the 4 mag pouches hold 2 mags each thus doubling the mags but also making the pockets usuable for smokes or other gear.

Here are some pictures to give you an idea of what this bag will hold. You could add a bit more if you took the time to load it better but its dinner time and I'm starving.

Full bag closed up. It bulges a bit but the zipper closed with no effort at all.

Looking down inside. The tan pouch is the VOK the seals are running.

Remove that VOK and you can see all the pelican case, bangs, smokes, and nalgene. You can also see the nalgene flask and flex cuffs in the other flat pocket. The only thing stacked on top of any thing was the VOK.

Here is the stuff from the center/ maine compartment.

Here is the stuff from the other flat slot inside.

Here is how the pistol and mags look in the flat zippered pocket on the back.

And here is every thing that was in the bag layed out flat.

Offline wcff3431

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 07:47:43 PM »
John that is a heck of an edc platfrom. i truely like the last pic of everything laid out.
how about a link i can't seem to find it on the site.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 07:50:54 PM by wcff3431 »

jeremya

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 03:35:11 AM »
John that's one hell of a bag. Not sure I need the ability to carry 4 AR/AK mags on a regular basis, but still a kick ass bag.

-- Jeremy

jeremya

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 11:04:59 AM »
I decided on and ordered a Maxpedition Fatboy Verispak S-Type. The S-Type is for left side carry. Since I will be concealed carrying on the right side I don't want anything to interfere with access to my primary weapon. I also ordered the holster insert for the Fatboy and I will be setting it up for a cross draw of my back up weapon, which I will be picking up after the holidays.

I also found a multi-tool and flashlight I really like, but decided to hold off since my family is bugging me for gift ideas.  ;D

Next I need to find a pouch or case to create a FAK in.

-- Jeremy

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Rookie Registered Nurse
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 10:10:12 PM »
Here are some pics of the blades I carry as EDC.  The ka-bar dozier is brand new today.  I am very impressed with it so far.

http://picasaweb.google.com/natesdenn/EDC?authkey=8-O3gprqOo4#

jeremya

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 10:33:54 PM »
Sweet knife! Speaking of knives I asked for the Ka-Bar TDI Law Enforcement Knife for Christmas. If I don't get it as a gift I will be picking one up after the holiday. I really like that knife.  ;D

-- Jeremy

Pokethis

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 11:53:27 PM »
Okay guys!  I recently posted about what I could do if I was in a restaurant, no gun (not concealed ready) in a skirt, blouse situation.  U guys think that bag is going to be un-noteworthy in a normal situation?  Every day carry bag..................................... extra periods for effect.  Now Come ON!!  Get practical!!!

Zen question.

Pokethis

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 11:56:37 PM »
Uh oh  :(

jeremya

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 12:30:45 AM »
Okay guys!  I recently posted about what I could do if I was in a restaurant, no gun (not concealed ready) in a skirt, blouse situation.  U guys think that bag is going to be un-noteworthy in a normal situation?  Every day carry bag..................................... extra periods for effect.  Now Come ON!!  Get practical!!!

Zen question.

The bag John posted? I think you'd probably stick out like a sore thumb, but my EDC bag is a laptop messenger bag since I have to lug my work laptop home very night. Your EDC bag could be your purse. It's all about your needs and what works for you.

My weekend needs are different than my weekday needs. Also on the weekends I generally don't need to lug my laptop around so no need for the huge messenger bag, but it's still nice to have things like a small first aid kit, a multi-tool, energy bars, etc with me and frankly I don't have that many pockets. So I ordered a Maxpedition Fatboy Versipak which is a bit tactical looking but not so much that I would stick out in casual weekend situations IMO.

Some guys won't leave the house with out a huge backpack full of stuff... my wife won't leave the house with out her Swiss Army Knife on her key chain. Same concept... different perceived needs and executions.

BTW I looked for your post, but couldn't find it. Never mind... found it.  ;)

-- Jeremy
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 12:35:06 AM by jeremya »

jeremya

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2008, 11:47:28 PM »
Maxpedition Fatboy arrived today look for pictures and my initial impression soon.

-- Jeremy

Pokethis

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2008, 11:53:02 PM »
Understood.  Just never know and how much can u take?  I bet those people wished they'd had guns.  Specially the Americans in the Jewish center. Hopefully they'll look at their gun laws.  I doubt it though. I think we all need to be armed now no matter where we are.

Offline Zombie Axe

• Survivor
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2008, 06:06:20 PM »
Sweet Bag JW! Nice kit! Those FUBARS are nice tools   :)

Offline Tycoon

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2008, 06:29:04 PM »
Ordered a Maxpedition Remora a while back. Gets me to work and back and has enough room for all my EDC goodies.

tash

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2008, 10:02:21 PM »
Maxpedition Versipack for the win :)

kaiservontexas

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2008, 11:06:30 PM »
Picture of my EDC/GHB can be seen in the BOB thread here: http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=1508.0

I use a Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack, and it has held up for a year + now. I recommend them.

djturnz

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2008, 02:02:14 PM »
I EDC a black messenger bag my wife got for me years ago at the GAP, I believe. 
Care to post a pic?  I think I might have the same bag.  Mine is black with one large pocket the size of the whole thing and three small pockets across the front with zippers.  It also has a small pocket inside the big one and a very small pocket in the strap.  It was my wife's and she was gonna toss it, so I snatched it up to carry on my motorcycle.  Now it pretty much stays hanging in the closet except when I hit a gun show or have to carry offbody due to wearing gym clothes or something.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2008, 02:51:11 PM »
I EDC a black messenger bag my wife got for me years ago at the GAP, I believe. 
Care to post a pic?  I think I might have the same bag.  Mine is black with one large pocket the size of the whole thing and three small pockets across the front with zippers.  It also has a small pocket inside the big one and a very small pocket in the strap.  It was my wife's and she was gonna toss it, so I snatched it up to carry on my motorcycle.  Now it pretty much stays hanging in the closet except when I hit a gun show or have to carry offbody due to wearing gym clothes or something.
Sure, I'll post a pic.  It'll have to be tomorrow though.  I'm headed to work here in a bit.

Mine sounds a little different than yours though.

Offline RonH2K

• Survivor
  • A little closer each day...
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2008, 08:26:33 PM »
I use a Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack, and it has held up for a year + now. I recommend them.

Using a Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack here, too, and love it.  I've put a lot of Maxpedition accessories on it and am blown away by the quality and utility.  Can't recommend them enough!

8)

Lucretius

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2008, 12:25:16 AM »

Using a Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack here, too, and love it.  I've put a lot of Maxpedition accessories on it and am blown away by the quality and utility.  Can't recommend them enough!

8)

Me too. If only I had a Rolly Polly to add to it, it would be perrrrfect  ::)

James Yeager

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2008, 08:34:33 AM »
I got one of these for Christmas and they are AWESOME!

Full bag closed up. It bulges a bit but the zipper closed with no effort at all.

Looking down inside. The tan pouch is the VOK the seals are running.

Remove that VOK and you can see all the pelican case, bangs, smokes, and nalgene. You can also see the nalgene flask and flex cuffs in the other flat pocket. The only thing stacked on top of any thing was the VOK.

Here is the stuff from the center/ maine compartment.

Here is the stuff from the other flat slot inside.

Here is how the pistol and mags look in the flat zippered pocket on the back.

And here is every thing that was in the bag layed out flat.

Offline spartan

• Ass Hat Hitman
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Battle Hippie
    • The Permaculture Podcast
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2008, 09:07:55 AM »

8)

[/quote]

I have a Jumbo Versipack with a Roly Poly and an M2-waist pouch as my EDC/BOB. I like the setup and really like the RolyPoly as a foraging pouch. 

I am thinking about selling the Versipack and M2 though and moving to a rucksack for EDC.  I am the primary care parent for our infant daughter and want to consolidate my EDC and her diaper bag.  The bright pink Snoopy bag my wife got sticks out a bit much.

Lucretius

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2008, 10:46:24 AM »

8)

I have a Jumbo Versipack with a Roly Poly and an M2-waist pouch as my EDC/BOB. I like the setup and really like the RolyPoly as a foraging pouch. 
[/quote]

Yeah, that's right. Just rub it in, why don't you?  :'( ;)
The use you suggest for the RollyPolly is exactly what I had in mind, btw...

Offline DIM TIM

• Survivor
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2008, 12:33:50 PM »
Pretty cool. I don't use a GHB with me at work, because it is only a couple miles up the road from my home. I do have a few items that I do keep with me as an everyday carry in my pants pockets. Sort of like a GHB without the bag.

Two lock-back pocket knives. ( one of them was a knife I found a couple years back while cutting grass for a friend in a neighboring town )

Two mini Mag Lights (one of these I just found recently in the middle of an intersection on a quick trip home for lunch from work. It is amazing that it was not run over and destroyed or found by someone else )

My cell phone.

A pocket folding T-handle screwdriver that my dad gave me a couple years back.

A mini multi-tool. ( another item that I found recently )

A Bic lighter as well as a nice Zippo lighter. ( another cool thing that I found)

And a roll of dental floss. ( this was a small gift from the insurance provider where I work as a gift to plug ther new dental plan )

A pair of reading glasses in their own carry tube. ( Fine print got harder to see in different lighting as I have gotten older)

It is not a lot, but like I said, work and home are only a couple miles distant form each other. As far as a GHB is concerned, I keep a few small plastic shopping bags in my truck for trash. I could grab one or two of these, and throw some of the small items that I carry in the truck into them if needed. If for some reason I am going to go somewhere, where I will be a great distance away from home, then I will throw a pre-packed GHB in the truck behind the seat. Otherwise, this is all that I need for EDC.   ;D
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 12:36:19 PM by DIM TIM »

djturnz

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2008, 05:21:43 AM »
It amazes me how big some of you guys' pockets must be.

Offline exoduster18

• Survivor
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2009, 07:57:40 AM »
EDC? I Haz it.....

I have an Army National Guard Book Bag that is well made. It was used as a recruitment tool to get people to sign up. It has all sorts of pockets and places for gear.

Here is what is in it:
Clothing/Accessories:
2 - T-Shirts
1 - Muscle Shirt
2 - Pairs of Socks
2 - Pairs of Boxer Shorts
1 - Canteen
1 - Safety Blaze Orange Hunting Hat
1 - Camouflage Bandana
1 - 10 ft. Long Drag Rope
1 - Belt Mounted 25 Round Shot Shell Box Holder
1 - Pair of Ironclad General Purpose Work Gloves
1 - ACU Jacket, Large
1 - Pair of ACU Pants, Large

Medical Supplies:
1 - Roll of Gauze
1 - Space Blanket
2 - Pairs of Medical Gloves
1 - Pair of Extended Gutting Gloves
2 - Rolls of Medical Tape
5 - 4 in x 4 in Gauze Pads
1 - Bag of various sized Band Aids
1 - Packet of Imodium AD caplets
2 - Packets of Burn Cooling Gel
4 - Packets of Band Aid Anti-biotic
1 - Small Case Knife
1 - Container of Tylenol Extra Strength Pain Reliever
1 - Tube of Chap-Stick
1 - Lighter
1 - Pair of Tweezers
1 - AXE Cologne Bullet Spray
1 - Packet of 10 Butterfly Closures
2 - Big Band Aids
3 - Packets of Benzalkonium Chloride Anti-Septic Towelettes
6 - Packets of Johnson and Johnson Cleansing Wipes
3 - Packets of Alcohol Prep Pads
2 - Packets of Povidone Iodine Prep Pads

Other Gear:
1 - Galco Tri-Ceps Knife Sharpener
1 - Gerber Radius Multi-Tool
1 - SureFire G2 Flashlight
1 - Tasco 4 X 32 Binoculars
1 - Belt
1 - Surefire SC1 Spares Carrier (w/ extra P60 lamp and 6 Spare CR123A batteries)
1 - 256 Meg Flash Drive
1 - 1 Gig Creative Labs MuVo Stone MP3 Player
1 - Transfer Cable for the above MP3 Player

Ammo:
25 - Rounds of Winchester No. 6 Small Game Loads
15 - Federal Tru-Ball Low Recoil Rounds
10 - Federal Power-Shok 00 Buck Rounds
5 - Rounds of Hornady Light Magnum 00 Buck

Also, this is what is carried on my person:
Kershaw Tanto Blur (old style serrations) OR a CRKT M16-13Z (old style serrations as well) depending on clothing.
Kershaw Stainless Steel Chive
Pilot G2 Pen
Building Access Badge
Surefire 6PL in a Diamondback Tactical pouch
Motorola RAZR in a black leather pouch
Gerber Sport Compact 400 Multitool in it's included pouch
Keys
Wallet