Author Topic: Slatt's Rescue Belt  (Read 6988 times)

Offline patrat

• Survivor
Slatt's Rescue Belt
« on: October 29, 2009, 11:46:31 AM »
http://www.orionn49.com/slatts_rescue_belt_knot1.htm

I recently made one of these, it was very difficult, but then again it is only my second piece of work with cord/knots. Total time to make it was around 14 hours, mostly done in a long layover in Saskatoon airport.The variant I made used a conventional steel belt buckle, so the length is adjustable. It works about the same as a braided leather belt. 100 feet was just enough for a belt 42 inches long, which is perfect for my 36 waist. The belt is stretchy, so that takes some getting used to. Its now my everyday belt, and its nice to have the peace of mind that I am wearing 100 feet of 550 cord.

Sure was fun explaining to airport security why I had knitting needles, rope, and all the supplies in my basic kit as a carryon.

On the plus side the security staff was all young, beautiful women, and one asked if she could touch my belt.  :D I fully approve of the staffing decisions for security and customs at Saskatoon.

Hare of Caerbannog

Re: Slatt's Rescue Belt
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 01:15:36 PM »
+1 for the post and the link.
I bookmarked that page.

I'm a bit busy right now, but when my life slows down I defiantly want to make one of these.

Offline bubtech

• Senior Survivalist
    • BUBWeb.com Websites starting at $10 per YEAR... WHAT!... YEAH!
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 08:18:31 PM »
damnit... I tried it but I am so freaking uncoordinated.... meh
B

Offline creuzerm

• Survivalist Mentor
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 05:57:05 PM »
I saw this, I had to have one. now! Immediately if not sooner!

I spent a whole night trying to get the belt worked out. I couldn't get about 4 rows before the whole thing turned into a big mess for me. I even had my wife give it a try with her crochet needles to no avail.

I will give it another try soon - I need to find a good belt buckle. Would one of those double belt buckles work better?

AC

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 02:16:34 PM »
That is COOL.

Thanks for posting  that, I just figured out how to give you a karma point, you, sir, are an educational influence.

Offline patrat

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 12:26:41 PM »
As an update, I have been wearing this daily since I made it. There is almost no wear on it. The weave loosened a bit in the area I buckle it, which is to be expected (and actually makes things easier).

The belt is rather thick, so some things meant for a normal belt will not work. Belt clips, Leatherman holsters, gun holsters, etc will be a hit or miss. Also, I can double the belt tail through belt loops on jeans or carharts, but on dress pants there is no way to fit the tail through a belt loop that already has the belt run through. Everything is a compromise... this one works well for me!

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 01:33:30 PM »
For a thinner belt, you could use something like a sinnet / cobra stitch. With paracord, you would like need to do a king cobra, which would let you build in more colors...

I do a lot of paracord projects - one thing I found after unknotting some projects, is that 550 cord will retain some of the kinks. It does not like to relax very quickly. Does not really hurt the functionality, but you're not going to unknot this belt (or a bracelet, sling, etc) and have a nice smooth coil of paracord. It is going to have a lot of kinks and wrinkles.

I do not know for a belt, but for most sinnets you will need 1' for 1" of braid.

Offline patrat

• Survivor
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 04:31:10 PM »
I am not sure, but don't sinnet / cobra stitches require multiple strands? I chose this method because it uses a single length, which could be more useful in some situations. Maybe, having to lower something or someone, without needing to join ropes together first.

If I am wrong I would love to hear more about how to make the thinner belt.

On the long term to do list is to try making this from Spectra/Dyneema cordage, which is much much stronger. However, this stuff is also very expensive, at around $0.80 per foot. To boot, spectra and dyneema do not hold knots very well, according to their literature, because the cord is very slippery.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 10:35:23 AM »
For a sinnet you can do it a lot of different ways. If you want to keep it one length, and this may not be real clear written, but if you already do knot work you can likely follow - I will assume something like a bracelet or sling where you have a buckle on each end:

1. Single length of cord - again, about 1" per 1' for normal cobra stitch.
2. Double this and pass the bight through buckle #1, use a clove hitch or just a slip
3. Now you have 2 ends coming off the buckle, all the same length
4. Take the 2 live ends and pass them through the buckle #2, these do not need to be tied on, just pass through and pull back towards buckle #1
5. Okay - if you are still with me, what we have is our cord tied off to buckle #1. A length of doubled cord between buckle #1 and buckle #2 that is close to our desired final length. And now 4 live ends coming off of buckle #2.
6. Take the 2 outside cords and knot around the 2 inside cords. If all goes well, you will run out of cord just as you reach buckle #1.

For longer lengths tie tighter knots, or once you reach buckle #1, start knotting over the entire sinnet you just made. This is the King Cobra sinnet. Another idea would be to make 2 or three separate cobra or king cobra sinnets and then weave them together to gain more width without adding a lot of bulk.

Look up stormdrane's blog for more knotting ideas, pics and better instructions. He is probably the internet king of paracord projects.

Actually, don't do it... next thing you know you will have paracord dog collars, paracord slings, luggage handle wraps, BOB zipper pulls with monkey fists, spiral sinnet / turk head wraps on your walking stick, lanyards on knives and flashlights, keychains... it never ends. My name is Joe and I have a 550 cord problem.

Offline The Infidel

• Survivor
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 12:10:07 AM »
Nice job on the belt, thanks for sharing.

Offline patrat

• Survivor
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 12:31:48 PM »
I found them for sale here:

http://cardsharkscrafts.blogspot.com/2009_08_01_archive.html

No affiliation. I can tell you that I would definitely buy from them instead of do it again, unless I was stuck in another airport for 8 hours. The price is reasonable.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 02:56:04 PM »
Nice belt idea...