Author Topic: Food prices increasing, possible shortages (merged topics)  (Read 382440 times)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: Food prices increasing, possible shortages (merged topics)
« Reply #690 on: February 04, 2014, 04:56:05 PM »
USDA Weekly Weather & Crop Bulletin February 4th, 2014
http://www.usda.gov/oce/weather/pubs/Weekly/Wwcb/wwcb.pdf

Highlights:
Alabama -- The US Drought Monitor released on January 28, 2014 indicated that 43.51 percent of the state of Alabama had become abnormally dry, compared to 2.65 percent at the start of the calendar year and 56.68 percent a year ago.

California -- irrigated silage and wheat plantings suffered from drought conditions and failed to germinate. Some oat fields were replanted and alfalfa fields remained dormant. Range and non-irrigated pasture remained in fair to poor condition. Orchards have been irrigated for the last month.

Delware -- The unusually cold nights and prolonged period of below freezing temperatures were hard on the livestock.

Florida -- Varying degrees of losses on vegetables, strawberries reported throughout the State due to freezing temperatures. North Florida strawberries, collards, and turnips had frost damage, fungal disease due to freezing
conditions.

Hawaii --  January 2014 started the year off with 57 percent of the state designated in some stage of drought. Throughout the month, precipitation fell mostly in heavy passing showers. At the OSA symposium I was at, the Hawaii growers were saying how they have a drought there, but then they get 5" of rain in tow hours time and then back to drought conditions again.

Indiana -- The state has experienced snowfall of over 18 inches for the month. Persistent snow cover shielded wheat and alfalfa but limited field activities. Poor road conditions have made essential transportation problematic for many as well. In extreme cases, multiple days of milk production were dumped when hauling was not possible. Livestock owners have had to run through hay stocks faster than anticipatedto keep livestock fed in the cold weather, and many areas are experiencing a propane shortage.

Oregon -- You might want to stock up on cabbage seed (it is good for 2-4 yrs), in Clackamas County Crop losses were being reported for cabbage for seed due to cold temperatures. I know at the OSA conference, they were talking about being hard hit and seed crop losses for cabbage, kale and the like with some seed farmers.

Wyoming -- There is some concern about the lack of snow pack affecting summer irrigation water supplies. The mild winter has helped manage hay supplies.

AUSTRALIA:
Unfavorably dry weather returned to southern Queensland and northern New South  Wales, renewing stress on summer crops.

Cedar

Offline floridaprepper

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #691 on: February 06, 2014, 01:12:25 PM »
I went to the local LDS Cannery to do the lazy man's long term storage plus up and was informed that I could no longer can the items myself...the FDA payed them a visit and told them that because they have wheat and milk powder they had to restructure the building...$1.5 million. These folks have been operating for over 35 years with no comlaints, problems or illnesses, but that didn't matter.  Luckily they are still able to sell their prepackaged #10 cans so I was able to get most of my favorite things.  Don't you feel safer now?  The term Assclown did spring to mind.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #692 on: February 06, 2014, 02:00:00 PM »
Actually I had another word in mind and I cannot type it here.. I am too much of a lady.

Cedar

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #693 on: February 06, 2014, 02:14:43 PM »
It also means that they dont carry all the same things. They do not prepackage dried carrots, dried onions, white beans and black beans. Only have pinto beans canned. So, I got a cans of these for our fire house because the local LDS cannery  canned up all the inventory in Nov and had a few left

nkawtg

« Reply #694 on: February 06, 2014, 03:10:24 PM »
You can still buy those items in bulk though can't you?
A 5 gallon bucket lined with mylar is a good substitute for canning.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #695 on: February 06, 2014, 03:39:06 PM »
Nope. they do not carry or sell any bulk bags of food, only the precanned

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #696 on: February 07, 2014, 06:43:32 AM »
The price of grain is increasing. With the drop in the stock market investors are beginning to pull their money out of stocks and invest in commodities.

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
« Reply #697 on: February 07, 2014, 06:47:15 AM »
The price of grain is increasing. With the drop in the stock market investors are beginning to pull their money out of stocks and invest in commodities.

I hope they come down by June.  Our cows are pastured or fed hay off our own property so feed costs are minimal.  But I am planning another batch of 10 feeder hogs in June and 500-1000 broilers from may through October and those all require me to by feed.

On the plus side, I direct market and my customers are amazingly understanding of the connection between my cost to produce and their cost to buy.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #698 on: February 11, 2014, 09:48:07 AM »
From the UK... As the row over who was to blame for failing to tackle the consequences of the extreme weather intensified, concerns grew about the impact that the flooding will have on agriculture. Experts warned that the government needed to fully understand that climate change poses a significant threat to food security.

Same article:
"The biggest threat to farmers is extreme weather," said Kendall, who pointed out that events around the world were conspiring to place intense pressure on farming that will serve only to drive up prices. "California has run out of water, the American midwest has record minus degree temperatures and there are warnings about wheat crops, Ukraine is worried about frost, Australia has had a record year of temperatures, Austria had its hottest recorded temperature of 40.5 degrees last August. We are seeing more of these intense, extreme weather events and climate change does really now challenge mankind's ability to feed itself."

http://www.theguardian.com/global/2014/feb/08/storms-lash-coast-uk-long-term-costs

Cedar

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #699 on: February 11, 2014, 10:25:04 AM »
Australia
Sugar http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-18/australia-sugar-cane-crop-seen-curbed-in-2014-if-drought-spreads.html
Cotton http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-02-11/australia-cuts-cotton-output-estimate-as-drought-curbs-crops.html
Soybeans http://www.thecropsite.com/news/15563/soybean-production-drop-could-lead-to-shortage

Brazil
Soybeans Feb 3 blurb Brazil Soybean Outlook Worsens from Tropical Drought

Argentina - (who with Brazil, saved our bums on grain here)
Argentina Rainfall Helpful, Not a Cure for Drought
Extreme heat and dryness resumed last week in Argentina,  stressing corn and soybeans.  Temperatures peaked Saturday with 100 F (38 C) or higher in the grain belt.

USA
Persistent drought has been damaging for the soft wheat crop in Western United States.  Washington wheat has received only half of normal precipitation over the past 30 days and 62% of normal since early October.   This is very significant, since Washington is the 3rd biggest US winter wheat state behind Kansas and Oklahoma.

With already low production estimates out for the Florida orange crop, the threat of a damaging freeze may now come this weekend. On the market, prices are jumping and will soon affect consumers.

Russia
Severe planting delays in Russia from fall wetness taints the outlook for the 2014 winter wheat harvest. SovEcon the Moscow based consultancy points to a smaller Russia winter wheat area and delayed plantings as a threat to the 2014 wheat harvest.    Andrey  Sisov Jr , the firm’s managing director, cited late planting as a threat to winter wheat in an interview with Agrimoney, saying  “the risk of higher-than-usual winterkill losses is significant”.  Mr. Sisov may have been referring to susceptible areas of the Volga and Central districts placing up to 20% of Russia wheat at risk for winter kill.

China
China is expected to import a record 69 million metric tons of soybeans in 2013-14 to make up for a small domestic soybean harvest. China soybean buying continues strong.  The USDA Friday announced the sale of another 4 million bushels of soybeans to China under its daily reporting system.  Import needs are great due to small domestic soybean production. The USDA predicts China will need to import 69 million metric tons of soybeans, all together, in 2013-14 to keep up with robust demand from rising meat consumption.

Cedar

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #700 on: February 15, 2014, 09:23:39 AM »
As of Feb. 4, almost 50% of the nation’s winter wheat, 40% of domestic cattle and 30% of corn acreage were in drought, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

If drought conditions continue, 500,000 acres — much of it open ground that would typically be planted with crops such as tomatoes, onions and other vegetables — will sit idle.

The California cattle herd is being liquidated, said Ned Schmidt, editor of Agri-Food Value View, an information source for investing in agriculture. “No water, no grass, no hay, and feed would have to come too far and at too high a cost.”

And for winter wheat KWH4 0.00% , the market’s starting to worry about the effects of the drought on spring wheat planting, which occurs between April and May, Teucrium’s Gilbertie said. There’s even some moderate drought in midwestern states like Minnesota and Iowa, which are big soybean SH4 -0.46%  and corn producers CH4 +0.85% .

Summary

During the past 7-days, the first significant storm of the wet season (since October 1) inundated parts of central California and the northern Sierra Nevada with 6-12 inches of precipitation, with locally up to 15 inches. Although there were short-term local improvements from this week’s ample precipitation, the long stretch of subnormal precipitation dating back to 2011-12 wet season has accumulated large deficits, leaving rivers, lakes, reservoirs, and snow packs well below normal. Even though this storm was welcome, the central Sierra still needs 3-4 more copious storms to bring this wet season close to average. Farther north, lesser but welcome precipitation (2-4 inches) also fell on the southern Cascades, while unseasonably cold air dropped measurable snow from Portland, OR, to Seattle, WA. Unfortunately, little to no precipitation fell on southern California and the Southwest.

Cedar

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #702 on: March 05, 2014, 10:17:17 AM »
 I haven't been to a store in ages, but my friend was telling me how prices have realy gone up, she is also low income and so notices. She specifically called me because a 5lb bag of organic potatoes was over $4 yesterday, at our cheap, local owned store. She had me add a bag of 50lbs from the bulk order, to get 1.19 a bag equivalent. She says she has realy noticed the jump in onions, $1.80ish a pound, brocolli/cauliflower, bananas (organic), and of course, AVACADOES, rice, and flour., and gasoline up $.25 this week (my daughter filled up my car lately and I hadnt noticed yet....)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 10:25:13 AM by mountainmoma »

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #703 on: March 10, 2014, 11:51:06 AM »
UN warns world must produce 60% more food by 2050 to avoid mass unrest
http://rt.com/news/world-food-security-2050-846/

In the past three years for example, Australia, Canada, China, Russia and the United States have all suffered big flood and drought induced harvest losses.

In February, the FAO, World Bank and World Resources Institute estimated that the world is losing 25 to 33 percent of the food it produces

Cedar

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #704 on: March 11, 2014, 06:21:45 AM »

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #705 on: March 29, 2014, 04:12:37 PM »

Cedar

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #706 on: March 29, 2014, 04:26:35 PM »
According to the map you are in an severe drought area.  Even with all the mass quantities of rain/snow you received this winter?  Is it because your area had many years of low rainfall before this?  Or some other reason?  Or am I reading the map wrong?

(From someone in an extreme drought area)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #707 on: March 29, 2014, 04:29:35 PM »
Corn rose to the highest in more than six months and was set for a bull market as U.S. weekly export sales showed rising demand amid tensions between Russia and Ukraine and deteriorating crop prospects in Brazil.
http://www.agweb.com/article/corn_set_for_bull_market_as_us_exports_rise_amid_ukraine_worry_BLMG/

United States inventory of all hogs and pigs on March 1, 2014 was 62.9 million head. This was down 3% from March 1, 2013, and down 5% from December 1, 2013.

USDA National Grain Review
https://www.statpub.com/index.php/gab/article/623666

"We have problems in the winter wheat belt," O'Brien said, adding there are reports about damage caused by the frigid temperatures in January, when there was little protective snow cover on the ground. Rainfall has been sparse so far this spring. About two-thirds of the U.S. wheat belt — an area that includes Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, eastern Colorado and west-central Nebraska — is in a drought, said Don Keeney, agricultural meteorologist with MDA Weather Services. Although the outlook calls for some rain in the southern plains the first week in April, those are not expected to be heavy and will help crop conditions "only a little bit," he said.Wheat is breaking dormancy across the plains, but cool temperatures have mostly slowed growth. That is expected to change next week when it turns warmer and plant growth accelerates — but the crop then needs soil moisture or timely rains. Given the weather outlook, Keeney anticipates crop conditions in the U.S. wheat belt will deteriorate substantially during the first two weeks of April. "As in the United States, the real concern for the new wheat crop in Ukraine and southern Russia is drought," Chumrau wrote. "Once more, we are reminded that in the world wheat market, precipitation is always more important than politics."
http://www.usnews.com/news/business/articles/2014/03/26/political-instability-weather-spur-wheat-prices

California drought - almonds
http://www.sfgate.com/science/article/California-drought-How-water-crisis-is-worse-for-5341382.php

Pics http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2014/03/californias-historic-drought/100706/

Cedar

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #708 on: March 29, 2014, 04:39:16 PM »
According to the map you are in an severe drought area.  Even with all the mass quantities of rain/snow you received this winter?  Is it because your area had many years of low rainfall before this?  Or some other reason?  Or am I reading the map wrong?

I am actually in a moderate drought spot. Statewide, the snowpack is only 32% of normal. Record low snowpack levels were measured at five sites in Oregon as of New Years.

October, November and December 2013 were very dry months in Oregon. Oregon’s northern mountains have the best March 1 snowpack in the state (70-90% of normal). A few locations in northeastern Oregon even have above normal snowpack conditions. Snowpack levels across the central Oregon region are around 50-70% of normal as of March 1, while southern Oregon basins remain well behind normal (30-50% of normal). While the 2014 snowpack levels are likely going to remain well below their normal peak levels, there is the possibility of a cool and wet spring.

As of March 1, the basin snowpack was 49% of normal. This is significantly higher than last month when the snowpack was 39% of normal.

They are saying historically we could make up the deficient and it has been raining nonstop here for about 48 hours now.

Cedar

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #709 on: March 29, 2014, 05:14:45 PM »
List of Top Five Wheat Producing Nations Around the Globe

Rank      Country    Output 2013 (Million Metric Tonnes)
1.      China    125.6
2.      India    94.9
3.      United States    61.8 -- prospects for the United States winter wheat crop are mixed
4.      France    40.3 -- had some winter crop damage
5.      Russia    37.7 -- possible looming war

Food shortages around the world
http://www.fao.org/docrep/019/i3618e/i3618e.pdf#page=2

Cedar

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #710 on: March 30, 2014, 04:44:52 PM »
Avocados
On March 26, the U.S. Department of Agriculture reported prices of $36.25-38.25 for two-layer cartons of hass 48s from Mexico, up from $31.25-32.25 last year at the same time.

Limes
Already-record prices could go even higher. Other than meeting a few commitments, Val Verde was not selling limes on March 27. “Prices would probably be $100 for 200s and larger, $90-95 for 230s and $80-85 for 250s.” Lime prices top $80 per box

Kiwi fruit
Kiwifruit prices could be headed into record territory as Chile, hit hard by September freezes, takes over the deal. As of March 24, Chilean kiwifruit shipments were just 15-20% of what they were at the same time the past two seasons. Chilean kiwifruit crop to be down about 70% this season.

Peppers
Heavy rains and cold snaps reduced winter production and delayed plantings, producing smaller volumes and are keeping bell pepper prices higher than normal.

Cedar

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #711 on: April 01, 2014, 09:18:08 AM »
Video - The Future of Food
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20140206-the-future-of-food

When three continents witnessed food riots in 2007 and 2008, we saw the international food system is not as stable as it looks. There’s unprecedented competition for food due to population growth and changing diets. Experts predict that by 2050, if things don't change, we will see mass starvation across the world.

Cedar ZombieGal

nkawtg

« Reply #712 on: April 01, 2014, 09:51:32 AM »
So I was listening to Beck on the radio yesterday and he reports how the EPA is out to regulate Cow farts. With dairy and meat prices up 12 percent how much more will prices rise when the government slaps on a new tax to regulate cows.
Of course I suppose they could stick a catalytic converter up their butts (cows not the EPA).

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #713 on: April 01, 2014, 09:52:17 AM »
Cedar ZombieGal
????
You got sick and turned?

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #714 on: April 01, 2014, 12:20:27 PM »
????
You got sick and turned?

she has been sick for awhile now.  claimed it was a muscle problem, but maybe it was a brain thing....  :zombie:

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #715 on: April 01, 2014, 02:21:46 PM »
she has been sick for awhile now.  claimed it was a muscle problem, but maybe it was a brain thing....  :zombie:

It always has been a BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAINNNNNNNNNNNS thing..

Cedar ZombieGal

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #716 on: April 01, 2014, 02:39:02 PM »
Beck  reports how the EPA is out to regulate Cow farts.

Of course I suppose they could stick a catalytic converter up their butts (cows not the EPA).

:rofl:

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #717 on: April 01, 2014, 02:46:48 PM »

Why the cows? The politicians/bureaucrats are more full of gas and hot air... and poo.

Cedar

endurance

« Reply #718 on: April 01, 2014, 03:00:46 PM »
I'm sure the greenies would love nothing more than to make meat unaffordable since being a secondary consumer wastes so much food. Every meat eater ends up needing more than twice the acreage as a vegetarian diet, so ultimately, I should feel guilty for liking a nice juicy steak for dinner.

nkawtg

« Reply #719 on: April 01, 2014, 03:05:36 PM »
Why the cows? The politicians/bureaucrats are more full of gas and hot air... and poo.

Cedar

So True