Site Suggestions, Support and Resources > Industry Reviews

Dealing with SOG

(1/3) > >>

David in MN:
As many will know I have carried a SOG Trident Tanto for years. For a lightweight medium duty knife it's awesome. I like everything about the knife until last night when I hear a snapping sound and the assisted opening no longer works. This morning I get the gunsmithing tools out and take it apart to find a broken coil spring.

I'm not happy but things break.

I send SOG a message that this has happened and that I need a new coil spring assuming they will send me a $0.34 coil spring and I'll be up and running in a week.

The reply was infuriating. I was told that they do not send out internal parts but will make an exception this one time. I was told that by disassembling the knife (turning 5ish screws) I had voided the warranty and if the repair didn't work I would be on the hook to pay for parts and labor to fix it. All because I requested the broken part rather than sending in the whole knife under the warranty program.

Bottom line: I have the spring coming and a Benchmade on the way. I'm a little sore at SOG for threatening me because I had the audacity to do the troubleshooting for them. I disassemble and clean all my knives and guns and assume it is normal practice.

I liked SOG knives. Now I'm a little soured. FYI.

Stwood:
Some companies only have one mindset, and that is that all consumers are dumbasses.

I had a switch to fail on a new machine one time, and they required me to load a 1000# machine up and drive 2 hours one way, and an appointment, to get it changed.
I refused, and requested they send me a switch and install myself.
They finally relented, after an hour on the phone.

Alan Georges:

--- Quote from: Stwood on April 06, 2018, 05:56:56 PM ---Some companies only have one mindset, and that is that all consumers are dumbasses.

--- End quote ---
Not a good assumption, but the safe assumption in today's legal climate.

--- Quote ---I had a switch to fail on a new machine one time, and they required me to load a 1000# machine up and drive 2 hours one way, and an appointment, to get it changed.
I refused, and requested they send me a switch and install myself.
They finally relented, after an hour on the phone.

--- End quote ---
Still faster than the drive.  Pain in the ass though.

Too bad shibboleet is not real.

Stwood:

--- Quote from: Alan Georges on April 07, 2018, 03:26:17 AM ---

Too bad shibboleet is not real.

--- End quote ---

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Carl:
As a gunsmith for the last 40 plus years,I have a two price policy...the SOMETHING BROKE PRICE and the AFTER YOU ATTEMPTED REPAIR PRICE  while many thought it unfair ....few declined my services as I continue my work now for only a few select LEO and class 3 users.

I would have done as you did...but understand factory policy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version