Site Suggestions, Support and Resources > Industry Reviews

Why Dollar Tree is good for preppers

<< < (11/11)

LvsChant:

--- Quote from: Carver on April 08, 2020, 07:40:41 PM ---/
All of those venues around here have dried up, with the exception of the pawn shop, but I think they are strictly online. It will be interesting to see what will flood these markets when things ease up. Toilet paper?

--- End quote ---

I read an interesting article about the TP shortage this week. Apparently, the problem isn't so much people hoarding more than they need, but a shift in the type of toilet paper needed by the same populace...

Prior to the shutdown, most adults and kids were away from home several hours a day, no doubt utilizing toilet paper at schools, offices, etc. TP sold to commercial buyers is quite a bit different than the fluffy Charmin packs many households use... tends to be more of the utilitarian, very thin and very large rolls, or else individually wrapped for hotels, etc.

Apparently, it just isn't that easy to bump up the production of household toilet paper and slow down the commercial supplies...

mountainmoma:

--- Quote from: LvsChant on April 09, 2020, 12:55:02 PM ---I read an interesting article about the TP shortage this week. Apparently, the problem isn't so much people hoarding more than they need, but a shift in the type of toilet paper needed by the same populace...

Prior to the shutdown, most adults and kids were away from home several hours a day, no doubt utilizing toilet paper at schools, offices, etc. TP sold to commercial buyers is quite a bit different than the fluffy Charmin packs many households use... tends to be more of the utilitarian, very thin and very large rolls, or else individually wrapped for hotels, etc.

Apparently, it just isn't that easy to bump up the production of household toilet paper and slow down the commercial supplies...

--- End quote ---

This is what I have been telling everyone out here for the last month !  I told them alot of people are realy not at home much, their household is at work or school or daycare all day, so now they realy DO need more toilet paper at home, first.  Second, do they even know how much they need when all home ?  They have to estimate how much more they need to get.  Then you tell them to get enough to not go shopping for a while, for a few weeks, they normally shop once a week, so now they double that, then they add on one more package just in case... unless they have seen the empty shelves and panic photos on media, in which case, they toss on 2 extra. 

So, yes, much more than the usual orders to stock those stores. 

Carver:
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/04/03/toilet-paper-shortage-explained-supply-chains/

--- Quote ---In short, the toilet paper industry is split into two, largely separate markets: commercial and consumer. The pandemic has shifted the lion’s share of demand to the latter. People actually do need to buy significantly more toilet paper during the pandemic — not because they’re making more trips to the bathroom, but because they’re making more of them at home. With some 75% of the U.S. population under stay-at-home orders, Americans are no longer using the restrooms at their workplace, in schools, at restaurants, at hotels, or in airports.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version