Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Do It Yourself - Projects, Ideas and How To

Creating a Bootable USB Survival Stick

<< < (10/10)

Docwatmo:
Yes, It's tough and waterproof/shockproof.  I've actually washed and dried it two or 3 times now.  It's getting ugly, but still works great.  Only problem is, on my Surface Book, and other ultra-thin laptops, you can't use it without risking damage to the port because the round head it too large.  I use a little 6 inch dongle now. 

Ralph:
I though that was the one.  A while back I was looking for a USB drive to encrypt and I liked how that was constructed and protected, but opted for something more pocketable.  The size issue on small machines can be a problem, I have to jockey things between ports to get some things connected at the same time.  I just downloaded YUMI and have an empty USB stick plugged in.  Cutting this short for now, want to play with it!  Thanks for the info, I'll let you know how it works out.

Ralph:
I downloaded YUMI from what looked like a legit site.  When installing it had very misleading questions while offering software to install.  I declined the installs and when I started YUMI my malware scanner gave a warning.  Long story short in case anyone else is following this or going to install it beware of where you get it.  Later my scanner found the infected installer in my trash bin and flagged it for malware.  Use link  https://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/  for the real download.  To the real message:

The real download installer worked great.  I installed the Raspberry Pi OS to start playing.  It functioned exactly like a real Pi.  I even updated the packages over wifi and installed a gpiozero module.  My laptop's touch pad did not work which was expected since the Pi doesn't have that feature, and I am certain the gpio will not work since my laptop doesn't have that hardware.  Still, this is great, and although I didnt try it yet I am sure Python will work.  I deleted the dban image from the stick and added an old Tails ISO which I havent fired up yet.  I didn't try but I don't think the newer Tails IMG installers will work since YUMI supports ISO.

I installed everything onto a Sandisk Ultra usb3 64GB stick and it is working very well.  The real YUMI site mentioned the Universal USB installer which I have installed and they look so much alike because they came from the same author.  Thanks for making me aware of YUMI, I am sure I'll be playing around with it and adding more OS's. Now one USB stick can server many functions instead of having multiple single use sticks. 

Docwatmo:
Yep, I fell in love with it.  It really is so flexible and easy.  I have a 10 gig secure partition on my 32 gig stick, and can access it from most any of the images I run.   I've repaired machines, and recovered data from dead machines using various ISO's on the same stick.  I even have a tiny little TAB stick (Same size as the logitech unified receivers) with 16 gigs and a half dozen iso's. 

Another item I keep on the same sticks is called "Portable Apps".  For when I plug the stick into Windows machines that are running, many of my favorite apps are available (Antivirus etc I can run from inside windows instead of booting off the yumi stick and running the av iso) Chrome,  about 400 different apps.  It's a great addition.   

Ralph:
That sounds like something else I have to try.  I made a mistake on my last post, I installed YUMI on a Sandisk Extreme. 

Being able to use an encrypted file or partition on different platforms is really handy.  I still like and use Truecrypt.  I have it installed on Windows, Tails supports it, and Oracle Linux.  Tails is my first choice to run it on when needed.  I don't trust Windows, it keeps too many traces of what's going on.  Although I haven't really looked into it, eventually I will look into using a standalone Raspberry Pi for encryption.  It's nice that you can remove the micro SD card and everything goes with it. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version