Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > COVID-19 Coronavirus Pandemic

Covid- 19 Staycation What have odd things have you run out of?

<< < (4/20) > >>

LvsChant:
I was actually surprised that the 3-lb bags of yellow onions were wiped out at the grocery store the last time I was there... who would have thought people were cooking real food??? They did still have some of the loose yellow onions for sale, so I bought some, along with celery and carrots.

I like to keep fresh ones around for my soups, etc., but can do without and use dried if need be. I do keep dried celery and onion powder in my regular storage, so will only be lacking the carrots... I think I have some dehydrated in LTS, but will have to hunt to find them.

fritz_monroe:

--- Quote from: Stwood on March 25, 2020, 09:23:56 AM ---We make our own salsa, one of the reasons we grow so many tomatoes.

--- End quote ---
For anyone looking to start making your own salsa, here's a fantastic place to start.  Been making Annie's Salsa.

I've run out of coffee creamer.  One of my indulgences is International Delight Coldstone Creamery creamer.  I can do without it, but if we hit a store, that's on the list.  Plenty of coffee.

LvsChant:

--- Quote from: fritz_monroe on March 25, 2020, 09:58:32 AM ---For anyone looking to start making your own salsa, here's a fantastic place to start.  Been making Annie's Salsa.

I've run out of coffee creamer.  One of my indulgences is International Delight Coldstone Creamery creamer.  I can do without it, but if we hit a store, that's on the list.  Plenty of coffee.

--- End quote ---

We really only use milk for cooking and in DH's coffee - so don't use that much... I've already warned DH that we'll be pulling out the powdered milk if we cannot get it anymore :) Plenty of coffee and tea here, too.

Adam Campbell:
We stocked up so much we haven't really run out of anything yet. Strategically bought a bunch of quick microwave frozen meals and things I can whip up in 5 minutes just to make it easier to get through the first week or two of whatever this is. Last night we cooked our first "real meal" and things have settled way down now that we are more or less hunkered down. As the space in the freezer empties out it will get restocked with more practical foods and meats / veggies.

We are also mass-freezing ice blocks and keeping 2 or 3 coolers filled with large blocks of ice just in case the power were to go down. Also have a new 7,000 watt generator bought on craigslist for half what it would have cost in the store. Got 15 gallons of gas for that and a siphon to get the gas out of the 2nd car sitting in the driveway that is the NOT THE APOCALYPSE vehicle.

Our Cliff Bar supply is almost gone and I thought we had at least a month's worth. That's probably the first thing to need a RE-SUPPLY of since the pandemic began.

As things progress (if they do) we will be using cliff bars for hiking and backpacking and eating better things. The last 2 weeks were convenience and comfort food now we are switching to prepared meals.

bigbear:
Bread - I didn't realize how much we'd eat.  7 people frequently eating eggs and sandwiches add up to a lot of slices of bread.  We've been 'forced' to make homemade bread.  Shucks! 

I think the real surprise was how fast things went.  With everyone staying home, more people cooking, etc... 

I also saw an article saying to go store up 30 days worth of food.  That's fine to say that in a 'time of peace' but to say that in a time of panic is irresponsible.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version