Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Needles & Strings

A Wedding Dress in Pictures

(1/8) > >>

AvenueQ:
I'm a little bit crazy ::)

I've decided that I'm going to make my wedding dress. I have a new spinning wheel on order from work (which I get to assemble myself), and some fiber on order from my local yarn shop. It is going to be a Polwarth/silk blend 2-ply laceweight, though I prefer chain plied, so I may try to make that work.

I'm thinking it's going to be a combination of two patterns from Ravelry: Evenstar Shawl and Ophelie. You'll see in the pictures for the shawl that one user modified it into a skirt, so that's what I'll try to do and then make the top from the Ophelie pattern. Since it will be so lacy, I'll wear a regular dress underneath it, probably in purple or blue.

I am also making some socks from this pattern (though I bought the yarn for those - I'm not that crazy).

So, this thread is to track my progress. This week at work, I got to cut my wheel on our CNC machine.

All set up on the table

In progress

Done cutting! Ready for pegging and sanding.

mountainmoma:
The shawl/skirt pattern is gorgeous -- I have heard of women making their own wedding dresses, but starting from the wood and the wool is amazing....

RitaRose1945:
Those two together are going to be gorgeous!

TexasGirl:
Wow!  Such an undertaking.

Those patterns look wonderful.  I have a high regard for anyone who can knit a project like that, much less spin their own yarn.  I have never had the patience to knit or crochet.

~TG

soupbone:
You're getting married in twenty - twenty WHAT? Seriously, though, what a wonderful idea, and what a wonderful heirloom to hand down to your daughters and grand daughters: "My dress was made by my grandmother - she spun the yarn and knitted....."

soup

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version