Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Do It Yourself - Projects, Ideas and How To

Beginners guide to nuts, bolts and threading

<< < (9/10) > >>

theBINKYhunter:
Yeah... no welder here. I did get a set of bolt out sockets and those worked perfectly.

endurance:
I was going to suggest my time-tested secret of using a sawzall and cutting the bolt.  I just had to do that with some of the bolts that held on my deck railing.  Cheat to win. ;D

theBINKYhunter:

--- Quote from: endurance on June 06, 2014, 10:03:32 AM ---I was going to suggest my time-tested secret of using a sawzall and cutting the bolt.  I just had to do that with some of the bolts that held on my deck railing.  Cheat to win. ;D

--- End quote ---

i thought about that, but it was threaded all the way through the frame and engine block on my bike, no way to cut it off.

shambo:

--- Quote from: flippydidit on May 24, 2014, 06:09:34 PM ---TWH,

There are plenty of options.  Besides being a gunsmith, I'm currently working full time as a machinist (non-CNC).  Can you give me some details about the bolt?  How much is sticking out of the hole?  Just the head, more or is it broke off flush or inside the hole?  Believe it or not, sometimes it's easier to weld a nut to the end of the bolt and unscrew it than it is to drill and extract it.

Just be sure you know how to use an extractor set if you're going to go that route.  I watched a welder put the extractor in a cordless drill and burn out a perfectly good tool.  It wasn't until I was close enough to see what he was doing that I could explain how to actually use the tool properly to him.

Hope this helps.  Let me know more about the problem if it doesn't work to weld it.

--- End quote ---
I love this way of getting very stuck and broken bolts out.  I have been doing this for 25 plus years.  I have found it much more effective if  you drill a hole  in the center of the broken bolt first.  It doesn't have to be perfectly centered.  The hole allows the metal to shrink when you start building up a nubb  on the top of the broken bolt,  then you weld a nut to the nubb.  This has proven to be very effective.

flippydidit:
Another tip I use.  Get handy with a Dremel type tool.  I've gotten pretty dang good at cutting a slot into the end of a bolt that I can get a flat tip screwdriver into.  Once done I smack the screwdriver hard a couple times to shock the threads.  Then I put EXTREME pressure IN on the bolt while I unscrew it.  Doesn't always work, but it is another approach when others aren't possible.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version