Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Communications

best practice or method for archiving large amounts of content (grid down)

<< < (5/5)

surfivor:
I have one or two external drives that work off a USB port that are several terabytes. They didn’t cost much more than $100 and that was a while back

nano.:
Keep the old adage: "Two is one, one is none" when it comes to digital storage. External HDDs (Hard disk drives) are the cheapest option per GB or TB of storage. You want at least two if not more copies of your data. Keep a copy in a different place (so if the house burns down, you don't lose all your stuff).

Periodically copy the data to newer drives (I'd say at least every couple of years minimum) and keep the old drives as backups.

You can do the offline vs. "online" thing if you want. Any secure data you have never EVER trust to a cloud provider (DropBox, Google, etc.) You may store your data there, but you aren't directly responsible with maintaining it (plus it's easy to get warrants to search your stuff that way).

I personally have two different ways I store my data - I have an "online" copy which is a small data server located in my house with automatic backup and fail over in case I lose a HDD. I also have more than two copies of that data in offline format.

I keep a backup laptop with spare batteries w/one of the drives in a sealed faraday cage as an absolute last resort for data.

Granted, I'm not storing epic-level stuff (family photos, ebooks, etc.) But all the really important prepping stuff (gardening books, etc.) are all printed out or in book form to access as the final fail safe.

I work in IT, so I've done a ton of research into this. Feel free to ask away!

<C>

Greekman:

--- Quote from: David in MN on April 03, 2019, 11:11:41 AM ---Also utilize photographs. I get a bevvy of food and wine magazines and when I run to the grocer or cheese shop I take pics of the recipe on my phone and go from there.

--- End quote ---

That is a good idea IMHO for things that are not too large or complicated. good enough for a photo (jpeg) of a page on how to can etc etc. I mean practical guides.
In that regard, JPEGs can be read by ANY device in the world and when the format become obsolete there will always be image viewer apps (say, Irfanview) that will batch convert them to the new format.

So....is there an app to convert/extract document pages to jpg automatically? (I know I can do it from Photoshop through a pdf conversion etc etc but it is laborious)

cmxterra:
Scanned this thread and did not see it mentioned.. but a NAS is what I use. 16tb array  Really sensitive stuff I have multiple thumb drives in the safe.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version