Author Topic: Buy Locally-Lobsters  (Read 5039 times)

Chellieanne

Buy Locally-Lobsters
« on: October 23, 2008, 03:08:54 PM »
Below is an article from the local paper-The Free Press

Governor on Threats to the Lobster Industry
“Buying locally harvested lobsters now is an important way that we can show support for Maine’s lobster industry and families as they go through this very difficult period.”

Last Friday Governor Baldacci expressed his concern about the impact of rapidly falling lobster prices on lobstermen, dealers and processors and Maine’s coastal communities and directed members of his administration to take measures that can alleviate credit and other issues that have significantly threatened the lobstering industry.

“Prices have fallen below the level needed to maintain the economic viability of the Maine lobster industry, caused by reduced demand and the lack of short-term business credit that are part of the global economic crisis,” Baldacci said.  “Maine’s hard-working lobster families and businesses have been jolted by the world economic situation. While most of these issues are beyond our control, there are a few things that can be done to help, and it’s critical that we take actions now to avert further harm to this vital industry.”

The governor directed the Department of Economic and Community Development, Department of Marine Resources, and the Finance Authority of Maine to meet with financial institutions and agencies to expedite measures to help families in tough financial straits.

“This crisis involves thousands of families spread along the coast. We’re talking about the very lifeblood of many small towns. I expect the group I’ve called together to think outside the box and provide lobster families and businesses with options to help with their tough financial positions,” the governor said.
He reiterated the importance of continuing efforts that have been under way to increase Maine lobster processing, sustainability, branding and certification.

Governor Baldacci is encouraging Mainers to participate in lobster specials being run at many seafood dealers and businesses in the state.

“Buying locally harvested lobsters now is an important way that we can show support for Maine’s lobster industry and families as they go through this very difficult period,” said Baldacci. “Helping our neighbors is something Mainers are known for, almost as much as we are known for our lobsters.”

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Buy Locally-Lobsters
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 10:27:14 AM »
Wow, I would surely help them out if I lived over there.

Chellieanne

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 04:35:27 PM »
Lobster are being sold tomorrow from the back of a truck in the parking lot of the local convenience store-$3.50 a pound.  This must be one of those bargains that Jack has been talking about-wish you could help out, too.

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 01:53:29 PM »
Just found out I have a business trip to Boston next month, hopefully I can lend a helping hand.  I still have the air-freight box from a couple years ago, so it may be good eats over here soon.