Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Communications

Question: GMRS radios

(1/4) > >>

Nate:
I have been researching the GMRS radios that Sportsman's guide has on sale occasionally.  I came across a website that had lots of information on FRS and GMRS radios.  I cant remember the site right now.  Anyway, this website said that to legally operate a GMRS radio you must have a license.  Is this true?  Does this apply to the radio's Sportsman's guide and the Big Box stores sell?

I just want to make sure.  I don't want guys showing up at my door one morning wearing black and toting machine guns.  ;)  Thanks! 

I am also pretty radio stupid.  I don't understand a lot of the technical jargon associated with radio waves, frequencies ect.  Thanks for understanding! 

Tommy Jefferson:
Legally you must get a license from the government to transmit on the GMRS frequencies.

In reality, no men with badges will ever show up at your door for transmitting on GMRS frequencies because the government does not enforce that law.  You can break that law all you want without any real fear of punishment.

Will you follow the law and get a license before you begin using the radios from Sportsman's Guide, or will you be a criminal?

ColdHaven:
I have a pair of Motorola FRS/GRMS radios that also have NOAA. I can honestly say you can buy one of those and have pretty of leeway as far as communications go. With the channels and the sub-channel codes you will have plenty of options. I believe there are 8 main channels that are FRS/GRMS available without a license. At least they were the last time I looked up that information. Now there are GRMS specific ranges too which you would need a license for them. I do not use those channels, and I thought of getting a license, but it did not seem economically sound. You essentially pony up a lot of money each year just so you can broadcast on those frequencies? BS. I will use the other channels which have just as much range and I do not need a license. However, in an emergency, you bet your a$$ I would be trying those frequencies as well. I don't think anyone could blame you for that.

With that said, they are not going to knock down your door to enforce this. You see how well they enforced the CB license law.  ;D

Tactical Badger:
Some good info here...

http://www.geocities.com/gmrspage/frs.html

on the frequencies.

On your FRS/GMRS radio, you can use channels 1-7 without a license.  Those are the FRS frequencies.

The license to use GMRS frequencies is simply a form to fill out and mail in.  The cost, however, is $80.

Ultio1:

--- Quote from: Tommy Jefferson on December 30, 2008, 10:38:27 PM ---Legally you must get a license from the government to transmit on the GMRS frequencies.

In reality, no men with badges will ever show up at your door for transmitting on GMRS frequencies because the government does not enforce that law.  You can break that law all you want without any real fear of punishment.

Will you follow the law and get a license before you begin using the radios from Sportsman's Guide, or will you be a criminal?

--- End quote ---

What about 2 meter?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version